Options

Cancel Your Tv Licence And Save £145 A Year

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    thelostone wrote: »
    Parks are need more than BBC, As for libraries they could be gone in years to come. But we need parks/open spaces . But BBC does not need TV TAX as TV can get funding in other ways.

So can parks and libraries, and who says they are needed anyway?

I'm not saying they're not btw because I believe in society and am happy to play my part in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your right I think he selfish.

Selfish? For wanting a free to air public broadcaster which shows quality tv programs, available to all, and not to those who selfishly can afford Subscription channels but are happy to either not pay their TV license or deny those less fortunate that service.

Yep, i'm selfish
  • Options
    thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No. Read the thread... the statement was made that pay TV always costs more (than the LF). That's not true - TUTV does not cost more. I suspect that if we looked around the World, we would find many more.
    It does not that much less and yet provides a lot less in terms of programming.
    carl.waring

It does not that much less and yet provides a lot less in terms of programming.

But if BBC TV-TAX cost say £30.00 PCM more people would say why should we pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikey_C wrote: »
    Selfish? For wanting a free to air public broadcaster which shows quality tv programs, available to all, and not to those who selfishly can afford Subscription channels but are happy to either not pay their TV license or deny those less fortunate that service.

Yep, i'm selfish

Hang on PAY-TV has quality tv programs, And so do the other FTAs ,You know it not just BBC that makes quality tv programs, in the world,US makes some of the best shows in the world. Along with the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if BBC TV-TAX cost say £30.00 PCM more people would say why should we pay.

The TV Licence costs approx 12 a month. For that you get all the BBC TV and Radio for a year. its a not a subscription, but a tax

Freeview is free with around 50 TV Channels.

Even if you get Sky or Virgin, you still get most if not all the free to air channels, including the BBC. So, if you are a subscriber you are just paying for the additional channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on PAY-TV has quality tv programs, And so do the other FTAs ,You know it not just BBC that makes quality tv programs, in the world,US makes some of the best shows in the world. Along with the UK.

Please go back and read my earlier posts, I have already said that its not just the BBC that makes great TV programs, I watch plenty of US tv programs as well, plus stuff on the other commercial channels. What I object is to people trying to opt out of any social responsibility in the Me! Me! Mindset. "As in I can afford sky/virgin, why should I pay for a TV license?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please go back and read my earlier posts, I have already said that its not just the BBC that makes great TV programs, I watch plenty of US tv programs as well, plus stuff on the other commercial channels. What I object is to people trying to opt out of any social responsibility in the Me! Me! Mindset. "As in I can afford sky/virgin, why should I pay for a TV license?"

What if ifs paying for sky of The TV-TAX why should someone miss out on sky.Just to pay the The TV TAX.

If BBC does not make/show what they like that is very selfish. To say they got to miss out on TV they like to pay for TV you like,
  • Options
    Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it isn't it's called society and there are people who subsidise you one way or another in society, trouble is that some want what it gives but do not want to contribute.

They are the selfish ones despite your smilie show of confusion.

Rubbish, I don't mind subsidising essential services, life saving services, but having to subsidise your habit of watching TV is just wrong, that's a luxury and non essential and should NEVER be subsidised
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if ifs paying for sky of The TV-TAX why should someone miss out on sky.Just to pay the The TV TAX.

If BBC does not make/show what they like that is very selfish. To say they got to miss out on TV they like to pay for TV you like,

You are honestly telling me, that over the whole year, a sky subscriber would not enjoy a single BBC program? at all? not even on say Dave? (Top Gear? QI? Mock the Week?) or maybe even on Gold? (Only fools and horses?) Watch? Doctor Who? Torchwood?

REAAALLLY??

And yes, if you can afford Sky, you can afford a damn tv license!
  • Options
    Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are honestly telling me, that over the whole year, a sky subscriber would not enjoy a single BBC program? at all? not even on say Dave? (Top Gear? QI? Mock the Week?) or maybe even on Gold? (Only fools and horses?) Watch? Doctor Who? Torchwood?

REAAALLLY??

I don't watch any of those programs mate.

REALLY.

But actually, sometimes you can get a better deal with Sky for Broadband and Phone by taking a basic Sky TV package, at least it was like that when I subscribed.

But once hard times come again, both Sky and the BBC Tax (license) will be going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

REAAALLLY??

All I watch on BBC is Doctor Who,Torchwood,Being Human,Waterloo Rd,Good News,Merlin
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    They may not have planned to rely on it, but for a while it was pretty much all they had on for weeks at an end, either BB Live, BB the Evictions, BB the Highlights, BB watch the idiots sleep etc.

It was a success for some parts of the viewing audience, for others it drove off regular viewers who used to tune in on a regular basis for other things.
    I used to watch a lot of C4 at one point, BB killed the channel for me, as every time I changed over it seemed to have something BB related.

It really did come to rely on BB, to the detriment of everything else for months at a time, there is only so much viewing of monkeys in a zoo that most people can put up with, before they get bored with watching the animals scratching their butts, picking their noses and throwing **** at the windows.

It became their crutch, and the best thing to happen in years for C4 was when they dropped big brother.

A lot claimed this while BB was showing, and I had a look at the schedule of C4 for that week. There was a couple of half hour shows of highlights in the week, mid evening, and I think a couple of hours live at the weekend. More was shown at times like early hours.
    We need somebody to find precisely how many hours, on average, BB occupied of C4 tv.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Actually, it's the "You You You subsidise my viewing" culture.

I don't agree, and I don't like I'm a celeb or Jeremy Kyle.

People are selfish, for not wanting to subsidise your viewing :confused:

Actually I don't watch a huge amount of TV. I turn it on to watch a programme and then usually turn it off. I think I pay far more for other people's viewing (especially Eastenders, sport etc) than they pay for mine. But because I'm not selfish I don't mind.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC/TVL expect you to be tell them, if you don't own a TV.

The equivalent for DVLA, would be having to declare SORN, without actually owning a vehicle.

That's only because it is a legal requirement to tell them if you buy a car.

If it was made a legal requirement for you to inform TVL if you owned a TV then they wouldn't have to write to non TV owners, would they?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    In reality though, we both know (I hope) that telling them you are cancelling the DD because you no longer require a licence triggers their enforcement process, and as such, informing them is pointless - the enforcement process will begin, either way. That is their published policy.
    No, it's about telling them that you have cancelled so that their automated billing systems will not trigger a collection attempt and subsequent bounce against a cancelled DD, leading to further problems, just as you would do with any company or organisation.
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    No, it's about telling them that you have cancelled so that their automated billing systems will not trigger a collection attempt and subsequent bounce against a cancelled DD, leading to further problems, just as you would do with any company or organisation.
    Are you saying that the DD system isn't capable of distinguishing a cancelled DD from lack of funds?

Given that it probably does, and that "TVL" has no intention to treat LLF people with politeness, I'm not sure why you think people should extend any courtesy to them.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    That why I could not do without sky. As 90% I watch is on PAY-TV .

I thought it was "only TV" and not important, so you could do without it.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mRebel wrote: »
    BB did not dominate C4.

Actually it did! and E4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No. Read the thread... the statement was made that pay TV always costs more (than the LF). That's not true - TUTV does not cost more. I suspect that if we looked around the World, we would find many more.

Questions of relative value for money are, of course, relevant - but meaningless without a consideration of the business and technical constraints of the services in question.

It was a poor attempt from yourself, as usual lacking any context, and what you get for your money.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    If it was made a legal requirement for you to inform TVL if you owned a TV then they wouldn't have to write to non TV owners, would they?

How would they know you were a non-TV owner?

BTW. They don't have to write.

They choose to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    and subsequent bounce against a cancelled DD, leading to further problems

What "further problems"?
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Is someone suggesting otherwise?
    I don't see any encouragement to break the law.
    none so blind as those who will not see
    Will you/ would you cancel your tv licence, and save £145 per year, by watching programes from iplayer instead of the normal tv ?
    IMO there should be pay as you go for the BBC channels... why should people have to pay for sky, and also a TV licence???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me Dan's Dad, but what has any of that got to do with breaking the law :confused:

And, what has a link about the origin of the phrase, got to do with it :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Started to read all the posts but had to stop as it is just the same old arguments.

Some of us are happy to live our lives with no tv on day and night, I just wish the salesmen at capita could understand this
    and stop the nasty threats at the front door, no matter what they say i will not let them search my property without a warrant
    so they are just wasting their time.

Any films that i want to watch i buy the DVD then i can watch it as often as i want it's that simple.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying that the DD system isn't capable of distinguishing a cancelled DD from lack of funds?
    Well, I don't know about that, but if TV Licensing have not been informed of the cancellation, they will still try to collect. And I guess that would raise an error of some description on their billing system. How would the system know that it had been cancelled due to the person wishing to pay by other means for example (rather than wishing to cancel their licence). If no-one tells them they are none the wiser are they.
    Given that it probably does, and that "TVL" has no intention to treat LLF people with politeness, I'm not sure why you think people should extend any courtesy to them.
    Because it is common courtesy, it is polite, and it is helpful (especially as it takes little time) .

To view it otherwise, or to view it in the terms that you have just posted is to my mind being bloody-minded.
This discussion has been closed.