Options

Wanted Down Under: snobby Poms get my goat

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    That didn't make sense, she was spending £900 a month renting in London, surely there are hospitals nearer to Glasgow that need midwives.

Which, with other expenses, would be a huge chunk of her take home pay.
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here but I got the impression they both thought they are gods gift to their professions so perhaps a Scottish hospital wouldn't be good enough on her CV.

I am not sure he was even a qualified electrician as he said he gets jobs by word of mouth and recommendations from his mates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which, with other expenses, would be a huge chunk of her take home pay.

And all that travelling from London to Glasgow every other week must add a few hundred or so onto that.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it is the same in Escape to the Country. My mother and I have a theory it's just nosey people who enjoy looking round other people's homes and being on the television. Most obviously have no intention of moving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mind you when the people say they don't want a thatched roof with beams and this is what they are offered, it is hardly surprising.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I gave up on this prog

its the same old story time and again

you have a couple with completely unrealistic expectations on the the houses/Job/"lifestyle" that they can afford in OZ

they seem to do no homework AT ALL about prices jobs or climate

I just dunno where they get there idea of what life is gonna be like?? what Neighbours??

they think that its some kind of fix for there sad little lives thats why over 30% return within a year

I think its just a excuse for a free holiday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I find it is the same in Escape to the Country. My mother and I have a theory it's just nosey people who enjoy looking round other people's homes and being on the television. Most obviously have no intention of moving.

True, but that's why we watch isn't it? ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the most irritating couple were on Relocation Down Under with Phil Spencer and they were house hunting on the central coast of NSW - my home ground. A beautiful region, all coastline and trees and this retired couple were not satisfied with anything shown to them...one house in particular at Avoca was a house I actually recognised and they turned it down because they couldn't see the beach through the gum trees. Beautiful house surrounded by trees, birds, double-storey, beach two streets away...if it wasn't about being 'not big enough' it was 'not near enough to the beach'. Why do these people all insist on the houses being so bloody big:confused: ?

It amazes me that these retired couples on these shows all seem to need 4 and 5 bedroomed properties.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, I have to ask where do they get these unbearable couples who go on these house hunting trips to Australia who turn their noses up at every property shown to them...houses that are far better than anything they were ever used to in Blighty being discarded as 'too small' (4 bedrooms, BBQ area, 2 receptions and 2 bathrooms not enough for a family of 3?)...''no pool' (you're by the beach luv)...'where's the shops?'(ummm, around the corner - no Tesco in Oz luv)....
    The woman on this morning's show has a face like a dyspeptic bulldog - beautiful houses and none of them good enough. Looking at their pokey little dive back home they deserve no better. Honestly.:mad:

If that's the Scottish midwife woman then I agree, she is a family friend on the OH side, dreadfully woman. And she is Bull Shitting about not getting work in Scotland. Her attitude has hacked many a person off over the years.

If the oh was pregnant then I'd hate her to be her midwife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not about 'insisting' on living here, I certainly do not, my husband is from Northern Ireland and contracted to work here. We wont be here forever I tell you ;)
    I don't know any expat who 'insists' on living here...odd turn of phrase:confused:
    The majority of Australians live in Australia for a good reason...:cool:

My cousins live there partly because one of their great great etc etc grannys was sent there on a convict ship after being found ( at the age of 16) drunk and disorderly in the East End of London.
    But seriously I find one aspect of all these house hunting programmes- the obnoxious sneering at what has been someone else's home. No my dears, tastes and proirities differ and people get older and unable to or have no desire to upgrade!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the beginning, was there a reason why she couldn't find work in Scotland?

Her attitude from what I know of her.

And she has done agency work in Scottish hospitals, one in particular will not it is alleged have her back, and he is far from competent as a spark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It amazes me that these retired couples on these shows all seem to need 4 and 5 bedroomed properties.

People always assume family and friends are going to be visiting every weekend. That lasts about a year and then the visits get further and further apart.

Also, as you get older, there's every chance your health will deteriorate up the upkeep of a big house and garden becomes harder. My OH is starting to notice this. A year or two ago he would climb a ladder without a second thought. Now he only does when he really has to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her attitude from what I know of her.

And she has done agency work in Scottish hospitals, one in particular will not it is alleged have her back, and he is far from competent as a spark.

Is he a drepressive person? He certainly seemed so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I didn't see today's show but always loved it, just for the chance to see what I'd get for my money back home (I'm a kiwi) :)

But I can sort of understand the Brits negativeness. Usually it's one partner pushing for the move, the grass is always greener etc, and there was a long period of time where it was cheaper in oz and nz than here, those days are long gone but the Brits on the show still seem to expect it. S they're expecting palaces, then they get off a 24+ hour flight and find nothing like they imagined, most of them have never been (and why you want to move to a country you've never visited I don't know) and its nothing like neighbours or home and away, s they start sulking and criticising the houses. Especially the partner that never wanted to go anyway!

It's like to buy or not to buy with sunshine!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew a couple that used to go around viewing houses well out of their price range that they could never afford..
    Was it this programme where they were in New Zealand and the husband was complete waster?, the wife thought that he would change if they moved there, then we discover that they moved there before and because he had no intention of working they had to come home, complete waste of time and our licence money.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it's similar. I thought the same. Always want acres of land and no end of rooms, not realising that as they get older they won't be able to manage the upkeep. It is unrealistic especially in the current climate.

Another thing that made me laugh re property. Former partners Kirsty and Phil: he's talking about bakelite switches indicating a need for rewiring, while in her vintage homes programmes, Kirsty is enthusiastically putting them in for a period home look. :D
  • Options
    MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great observation - I agree with you! where I come from the real estate agents call them 'ice-cream lickers'...they would come up the coast from Sydney for the day in the summer, do the rounds of the real estate agents at a certain seaside town and kill some time by looking at homes for sale...an agent told me they are just time-wasters so they just give them a map with some properties for sale and tell them not to approach the front doors. They go off happy in their cars - but the fact that they all have ice-cream cones in their hands is hence the nickname:D
  • Options
    MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dosen't Phil charge an arm and a leg for finding properties for people that can be googled if you know how...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he a drepressive person? He certainly seemed so.

Yes, very depressive, he could dampen the jubilation and joy of a double lottery winner.

At a party a year ago he even bored the party bores with his demeanour, what you saw with him and her is about 3% of what they are like in real life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, very depressive, he could dampen the jubilation and joy of a double lottery winner.

At a party a year ago he even bored the party bores with his demeanour, what you saw with him and her is about 3% of what they are like in real life.

Haha! Probably because he's married to her!

So, did they have any real intention of moving or was it just a chance to be on TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha! Probably because he's married to her!

So, did they have any real intention of moving or was it just a chance to be on TV?

No intention at all, a free holiday and their mugs on the tv. They would have had no chance of getting work in Oz because he is a well dodgy spark and her expierence is way overstated.

I'm surprised that the host is not using anti depressants after spending time in their company.

They have few friends and those that are still in contact have the Samaritans on speedial.:D
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How often does anyone ever buy a property on one of these programmes? I suspect that it's just cheap to make television like the Home or Abroad variation - hardly anyone choose to say in the UK but equally hardly anyone buys abroad either - at the end of the programme they're still looking for a suitable property!

We don't know, do we, as they never put an update at the end of the show - they should, otherwise it makes it pointless watching the thing at all. It's like a cookery programme that doesn't show the end result!

The couple together we unbelievably miserable and dull, even the kid was a little mini-me misery. I expected their home to be a show home after they slated the properties they were shown - especially that last one - but it was a pokey ex-local authority house with a very shabby garden.

And I don't believe for one second that she can't find a midwife job nearer home - are you seriously telling me that no-where between Glasgow and London, not to mention in the rest of Scotland, has no vacancies AT ALL for a midwife?

Incidentally, I cannot stand Nicki Chapman and find her role in the show pointless - she never meets the couples, so why spend licence payers money shipping her off to Australia? She might as well narrate from a studio, or a beach in the UK! Money for old rope, she must have snapped their hands off for that job and ran all the way to the bank laughing!
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    They will have to sort out the crime rate in oz before i'd consider it. They can start with Ned Kelly and his gang plus all those sheep rustlers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    True, but that's why we watch isn't it? ;):D

:o Oh dear!
  • Options
    OndineOndine Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    We don't know, do we, as they never put an update at the end of the show - they should, otherwise it makes it pointless watching the thing at all. It's like a cookery programme that doesn't show the end result!

They do another programme called Wanted Down Under Revisited. There was a repeat shown just before Xmas on BBC2. For some of the couples, it took more than a year before the move took place which is why, I suspect, they can't do an update at the end. It also makes cheap TV as they show the original programme again and tack an extra 10/15 minutes at the end showing whether they moved or not.