Drop in ITV HD picture quality since retune

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Anyone else had this? I'm on the Emley Moor transmitter, and decided to do the retune this morning while I'm off work. All went well as it usually does, but on ITV HD there looks to be a marked drop in quality. It's hardly any better than the SD equivalent. The BBC HD channels look OK to me, as does CH4, but I have also noticed the main SD channels look a bit worse than before too.

I know which frequencies I need to tune to from Emley so I don't think I've done anything wrong there. I dunno what could cause this other than changes at source. Just me? Should I go to Specsavers? :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd ask itv first!

Go to itv SD and press TEXT for their contact details.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you were watching an upscaled SD programme at the time?

Pretty sure the BBC run the HD mux on Freeview, so all HD channels should be of the same resolution and quality from that mux.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Anyone else had this? I'm on the Emley Moor transmitter, and decided to do the retune this morning while I'm off work.

Emley Moor didn't need a retune, nothing has changed.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Pretty sure the BBC run the HD mux on Freeview, so all HD channels should be of the same resolution and quality from that mux.
    BBC FTV ltd are the licensees of that mux .. With the technical operations being done by ATOS.

There is no requirement in the mux operator to code all services the same ..
    They contract with each programme supplier to agreed technical settings and parameters .. Which being a stat mux is not easy. ..
    And in any case the C&M contractor can do little about the preprocessing which may be added.... Unless it affects the stat mux agreements...

Te BBC was very tight on these matters for its own material ... It does not want litigation !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    Emley Moor didn't need a retune, nothing has changed.

Hmm, I realise this is the case, but my box doesn't automatically show any changes so I have to perform a retune.
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Maybe you were watching an upscaled SD programme at the time?

At the time of the retune there was Jezza Kyle and This Morning on. I was really taken aback at how crap they looked, particularly This Morning.

I've got some Ade Edmondson thing on right now and it looks a lot better, so it must have been an upscaled SD broadcast as you say. All looks fine.

Thanks for your replies. Thought I was going nuts!
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got some Ade Edmondson thing on right now and it looks a lot better, so it must have been an upscaled SD broadcast as you say. All looks fine.
    If you press the info button it will tell you whether a programme is HD or upscaled.
  • packagespackages Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    If you press the info button it will tell you whether a programme is HD or upscaled.

Jeremy Kyle nor This Morning are broadcasted in HD. It will have been upscaled.
  • iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....At the time of the retune there was Jezza Kyle and This Morning on. I was really taken aback at how crap they looked, particularly This Morning....

I think I may have kept quiet about that ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    At the time of the retune there was Jezza Kyle and This Morning on. I was really taken aback at how crap they looked, particularly This Morning.
    Aw, give the poor presenters a break! They cant look fabulous everyday!