Setting up public Wi-Fi

2»

Comments

• joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    The Cloud is a brilliant solution because I signed up for it once in my local pub, then I was able to use the same account in other cafes, pubs, restaurants, shops etc. It's very convenient and will probably cover you in most cases, both from a legal standpoint and practicality.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    just have a "agree terms and conditons" sign in. covers you legally.

swear to that would you?
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Make sure there is no "free" lunch - or indeed wifi.

Ensure that users register their email addresses and agree to join the café's emailing list.

Why? The deal is that if I BUY food and drinks in their Café, I can use their Wi-Fi in there. It's an incentive to eat and drink there, it's one of the attractions to get people to eat and drink there.

What next? Give up your email address so that we can annoy you with massive amounts of spam or we won't let you use our toilets even if you have just been fleeced £5 for a coffee and £2.50 for a stale bun.

The lunches are not free, so it's an incentive to eat there instead of somewhere else.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »

Wow, thats pretty expensive for a 'small business' £678.88 plus vat for the first year with a 20GB a month limit and you still have to provide your own broadband connection to plug the equipment into.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Wow, thats pretty expensive for a 'small business' £678.88 plus vat for the first year with a 20GB a month limit and you still have to provide your own broadband connection to plug the equipment into.

Thats what you get for a turnkey system, but if it drives in extra footfall it could easily pay for itself if people stay a bit longer and have an extra coffee or two while playing angry birds and all the support is handled by the company so you don't need a technician every time something goes flakey
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You aren't reading it right. It's not a 20GB/month limit; they are just saying what a typical usage might be.

Also, I think being able to use your own broadband service rather than be tied to Sky is a positive advantage.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You aren't reading it right. It's not a 20GB/month limit; they are just saying what a typical usage might be.

The actual quote is 'You may have to pay a little more for usage - the average bandwidth used in our retail hotspots is 20Gb a month' dont know what the exact limit is though.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actual quote is 'You may have to pay a little more for usage - the average bandwidth used in our retail hotspots is 20Gb a month' dont know what the exact limit is though.

There isn't a limit as such, it's only limited by your own broadband connection. For example, if you powered your Cloud hotspot with a PlusNet package that allows up to 40GB a month, you and your customers could use up to 40GB. For that reason it's best to go with an unlimited option!
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't a limit as such, it's only limited by your own broadband connection. For example, if you powered your Cloud hotspot with a PlusNet package that allows up to 40GB a month, you and your customers could use up to 40GB. For that reason it's best to go with an unlimited option!

Thats what i thought, its there to tell those people who currently are on a limited package what sort of usage they can expect so they can upgrade their package if needed
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Why? The deal is that if I BUY food and drinks in their Café, I can use their Wi-Fi in there. It's an incentive to eat and drink there, it's one of the attractions to get people to eat and drink there.

What next? Give up your email address so that we can annoy you with massive amounts of spam or we won't let you use our toilets even if you have just been fleeced £5 for a coffee and £2.50 for a stale bun.

The lunches are not free, so it's an incentive to eat there instead of somewhere else.
    Who says you need to give real details? I have always used a made up email whenever I have to put my email in for free wifi.

Like you, I don't like spam or giving my email address out to companies that have no need for it, other than to send 'special offers' and 'promotions' to your email address.