Doctor Who: Deep Breath. BBC1. 23/08/2014 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    THIS... basically what I thought
    Yes keep elements of show for kids but don't forget us adults and quit with the pc shite

Because god forbid children should see a TV show which depicts heroic characters who are also a Gay?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citation needed ;-) Hope so good to have a renegade Timelord plotline,

Not the Rani, my guess is
    Missy = Master stuck in some kind of purgatory
    Purely guess work of course!
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Because god forbid children should see a TV show which depicts heroic characters who are also a Gay?
    I dont know, Jenny and Vastra could be accuse of over doing it, in this episode.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Look forward to seeing how the 45 minute format fares. The real battle is still to be fought - against time itself.

I would usually prefer an hour long format generally to avoid too much rush, especially at the end, but I think this one could have fit into an hour easily or even 45 minutes if there was less Clara and Paternoster Gang. Oh well.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it. My main worry wasn't the Doctor (as I've liked all the 3 I've watched who've gone before) but Clara - and she was sooooo much better than in previous episodes. Have never doubted Jenna, but the writing of her character has been dodgy previously. Loved her in this. Roll on next week.

Didn't get the ending. Will await explanations (or not!) in the future.

Your main worry was Clara that the writing was great. Huh ?
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    What was the Only Fools and Horses reference people are talking about? Was it the bit about replacing all the parts of a broom? Was that specifically an OFaH reference? I'm pretty sure people have been using a broom as an example of the Ship of Theseus paradox far longer than that, although it will have done much to popularise the idea.
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    The negative plebs on here are generally the ones who shout the loudest - but with actually very little to say. They try and outdo each other with the "clever" comments, but only come across as shallow and a little bit stupid. This includes those who think they can multi task by posting and watching at the same time - then complain about the plot.

I for one enjoyed it, and am very much looking forward to the other episodes.

To whichever "hater" it was who used the phrase "pube head", though, I salute you. Got a genuine laugh from me.

*shrug*

It doesn't bother me if other people didn't like it tbh - why would it? I liked it and at the risk of sounding self-centred that's all that really matters to me.

I'm just surprised at just how many people disliked it is all, I thought it was wonderful.
  • jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    You have stupid people who comment throughout the episode and then complain they have no idea what is going on.

You have more stupid people who insist that people might not like the episode because it was dialogue-heavy. It doesn't occur to them that not everybody will have liked it, and its not to everybody's tastes.

You have even more stupid people who after one episode react with overly melodramatic comments, and are suggesting they're going to stop watching now. Frankly, I wish I could believe that but they're the same annoying people who come back each week and say the same moronic things over and over again. When you post on a forum, people are interested in opinions on the show, not on your own personal love or offence to it. Why can't people post a bit more constructively, particularly those who insist on posting constantly throughout broadcast?

Why are there so many stupid people? :(

Wonderful summation of my feelings too! I find it very difficult indeed to respect the opinions of anyone posting during the screening of what should logically be one of their favourite shows - otherwise why post at all? Invariably they miss important dialogue then ask stupid questions (I noticed tonight the music did not drown the dialogue as it has in other episodes for a much-appreciated change) or are basically trolling for their own amusement.

People's different tastes regarding episodes is what I like to read about in posts - I can respect well-made arguments even if I disagree although admittedly I won't respect anyone who loves 'Fear her' ;-)

I thought the episode was very good overall. The pacing though problematic for some was fine by me as the slow burn worked as the episode progressed. Finally Clara became three-dimensional for me as her character received development and attention that had only been fleeting previously and Jenna Coleman was superb.

Capaldi was as good as I expected and I expected great things from him!

Liked the new titles very much but the theme tune re-jig less so.

The most intriguing bit for me was the alleyway scene with the Doc tor questioning 'why this face?' What is his subconscious trying to tell him by picking this face from his past? I think the explanation might be more interesting than we may have originally expected.

I thought Matt Smith's cameo would only be audio but it worked very well especially as I always preferred it when he wasn't whirling round liker a dervish!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh did he actually push him? I thought the dr talked him into jumping?

As for my op of new episode - meh.

Plodding and aimless story, more PC righton bullshit than I could shake a stick at {lesbian lizard kiss scene wtf?} - Londeners wandering around not bothering about lizard lady and tattie heid.

As for Capaldi he was bloody brilliant better than I expected, like his expressive features and brings and older look to the dr - I hope things improve as the series progresses but am not a fan of Moffat's writing in the last couple series.:cry:

You don`t complain about men and women kissing on screen do you? That's rather homophobic if you ask me.
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I've avoided DS for last three months so had no spoilers, glad I did.

I guess for me it was a qualified 'good'.

9/10 for Peter himself..interesting tone and I think he will be great. Some great lines."who frowned me this face" and eyebrows that could open bottles.

A totally surprising 8/10 for Jenna, definitely her best episode..I just never warmed to her or her storyline at all with Matt but here she showed she can act with some emotion and depth.

10/10 for Matt's cameo..nice bridge..nod from the past asking forbearance for the future.

Paternoster Gang about 7/10.. Can see why they helped but also feel they have done their time and not bothered if I don't see them again.

The script...ah there's the rub. Now I have never been a Moffat hater and I have enjoyed many of his stories and arcs but I think the writing over the last series with Matt was pretty poor and sadly there was far too many rehashes of old material here. And the worst thing...the Sherlock stuff. Yes we all know he writes the wonderfully witty Sherlock but why shoehorn in every bleeding Holmes reference in a misguided attempt to appear cool to the fanboys and gals ..THEY ARE TWO SEPARATE SHOWS FOR HEAVENS SAKE!

Anyway apart from that little rant above I feel optimistic for Peter Capaldi. I just hope the scripts get less 'knowing' and I must admit I am looking forward to seeing Peter in a story not scripted by Moffat.

Like I say a qualified 'good'...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is a lesbian lizard in a sci-fi show considered "pc shite"?

Because cross-species timey wimey hot lesbo action relationships are political correctness gone mad! They'll be teaching it in schools next :cool:

We should buy some tubs and thump them :D
    Forum Member
    pallas wrote: »
    Anyone else see the Maggie Thatcher reference ?

I didn't. What was it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Well I thought that was excellent! Almost cried at the Matt smith bit.
    Think capaldi has a lot of potential and am looking forward to finding out who Missy is. Reckon she could be the woman from the shop who gave Clara the number and who arranged for them to meet in the restaurant. Cannot wait for next weeks - trailer looks brilliant. Will be good to see the daleks back again and hopefully the multi-coloured daleks will not make an appearance :D
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it personally, from 'it appears to have something stuck in it's throat' through to 'Glasgow'.

There is a clear difference between meeting a couple of other Doctors while yours is still standing beside you and suddenly finding yourself stuck with an angry Scottish sounding Doctor who doesn't have a grasp of who he's become and your slightly strange but nice Doctor has gone in an instant. Also there is no confirmation that Clara remembers anything of her splintering through the Doctor's past.

Strax was great as always and generated a great number of laughs in the cinema during the episode and the introduction.

Loved the cameo from 11. Surprised it's never happened after any other regeneration before tbh. 'I sound old' lol

The title sequence was nice, the music however will take some getting used to however.

Overall happy to have the good Doctor back, with a great opening episode.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the disappointingly anaemic arrangement of the theme, I found this a very good start. Moffat even managed to write a (largely) coherent script without trying to show off how clever he is- which is progress of sorts. And there was much less manic running around (which I always suspected was there to mask Matt Smith's deficiencies as an actor), which was most welcome in this house,

Towering above it all was Peter Capaldi. And one suspects he will be able to make something of even the most mundane scripts in the weeks to come.

I'm daring to hope that we're entering a new Pertwee-esque Golden Age of Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it overall, Capaldi had a lot of Tom Baker about him especially early in the episode.
  • Mr MajesterMr Majester Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do you think? I don't see how it brought anything to the story, just an excuse for the beeb to show it's gay friendly credentials - nonsense imo.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    You don`t complain about men and women kissing on screen do you? That's rather homophobic if you ask me.

CE Doctor kissed Rose to remove the time vortex from Rose to prevent her from dying , Vestra kissed Jenny to help her breathe as she couldn't hold her breath any longer and prevent her from dying.

What is the difference apart from one was a male/ female kiss and the other a female/ female kiss. None at all. *shrugs*

Some people see what they want to see rather than why a kiss is relevant to the storyline.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    I liked it overall, him Capaldi had a lot of Tom Baker about him especially early in the episode.

I agree, particularly his tone of voice sans accent
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think? I don't see how it brought anything to the story, just an excuse for the beeb to show it's gay friendly credentials - nonsense imo.

See my post above. Because Jenny was going to die and Vestra could breathe for both of them.
  • pallaspallas Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    etldlrl wrote: »
    I didn't. What was it?

'Margaret Roberts' spontaneously combusted in the newspaper article
  • Mr MajesterMr Majester Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I dont know, Jenny and Vastra could be accuse of over doing it, in this episode.

Yes they kept repeating that the were 'married' four times I believe, isn't saying it once enough?

Ps I'm fine with gay scenes in scifi but dr who has been overusing it imo.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What about if a heterosexual pair of guest characters kissed and added nothing to the plot?
    Forum Member

Clearly some confusion on their part. WPC Shite, formerly PC Shite, is a highly valued member of the PC Brigade with a proven track record of securing convictions for offences such as Moaning On The Internet About Nothing With Intent To Cause Mild Annoyance. She is not a lizard*. I fear for the consequences were anyone to draw her attention to this thread.

* Although David Icke may say otherwise.