Options

Tattoos - Love or Loathe ?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Yeah but if you saw me out in a t-shirt you would be happy to judge (not that i care).

Maybe i am the exception but you may pass people in suits every day and have no idea if they are tatted up or not. You will (sometimes wrongly) assume not.

I love my tattoos and in my job i actually love the shock factor a little bit which is probably my bad.

I have no problem with people not liking them or even judging me based on them. However saying they are "cheap", "council" or "scummy" is so far removed from the truth its embarrassing. If im "council" thats fine but its not only wrong it also means that my arm is worth more than most "council" (WTF does that even mean??) people would spend on a car.

Anyway, rant over, carry on!

But as I said earlier, I think about 25% of tats are really nice. Good ones can be stunning individual pieces of art.

The majority though are the trademark of dull people trying to score points by looking like each other. You only need to
    visit the average city pub on a Saturday night to see that, tribal and gothic writhing of kids' chavvy names on forearms aplenty
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I love my tats, all 3 of them but that's because they were all designed by me and they all mean something personal to me.

A generic "stamp" chosen off the wall five minutes before you sit in the chair is quite unimaginative. There will be hundreds of people with the same tat and to the tatooist I'm sure it's like painting by numbers.

I am a middle aged mother and my tats are a constant surprise to some people who seem to think inking is a new phenomenon for women.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just read all the postings in here and felt I had to post something myself!

I have two tattoos. I am NOT council and I am NOT a chav.

I am a professional, hard working woman who just happens to like tattoos. When wearing everyday clothes you cannot see either of them. When I wear a strappy top you WILL see one of them but it is small and tasteful. The other one is at the bottom of my back and only seen when I wear a bikini.

Not everyone who has a tattoo is cheap.

Rant over. :D
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Plus the fact that this genius in charge of £30m budgets would still look dumb even if he wasn't. We're talking about appearance here after all.

I've never claimed to be a genius and i am not boasting about my job (i actually hate it with a passion but thats a whole other thread). I only felt the need to mention it in relation to the original comment.

My sleeve is a koi surrounded by Japanese flowers and waves leading up into a dragon. You can hate it by all means and it has got different reactions from different people and im totally cool with that. Ive been in meetings with people who earn salaries i can only dream of and ive equally dealt with people on minimum wage - there is no correlation between income and what they think of my tattoos. The only thing i would say is no-one has ever said "that looks dumb".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rmpc77 wrote: »
    But as I said earlier, I think about 25% of tats are really nice. Good ones can be stunning individual pieces of art.

The majority though are the trademark of dull people trying to score points by looking like each other. You only need to
    visit the average city pub on a Saturday night to see that, tribal and gothic writhing of kids' chavvy names on forearms aplenty

I know what you are saying but its a huge sweeping generalisation.

I dont think you can dismiss a whole artform because it has been badly hi-jacked by a group of people. I dont think its in the same league as Burberry baseball caps for example! Chavvy people can have tattoos but that does not make tattoos chavvy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont think you can dismiss a whole artform because it has been badly hi-jacked by a group of people. I dont think its in the same league as Burberry baseball caps for example! Chavvy people can have tattoos but that does not make tattoos chavvy[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think its how you "wear them", what you have done and is very individual.

What looks good one one person might look chavvy on another.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I dont think you can dismiss a whole artform because it has been badly hi-jacked by a group of people. I dont think its in the same league as Burberry baseball caps for example! Chavvy people can have tattoos but that does not make tattoos chavvy[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think its how you "wear them", what you have done and is very individual.

What looks good one one person might look chavvy on another.

When you get a tattoo you are putting yourself forward to be judged by it and thats something you have to think about before you get it. It doesnt make the person judging you correct but its a fact to be considered.

I really want a tattoo on my hand but i know it would push the boundaries in terms of my job so i havent done it yet. At my last tattoo sitting there was an 18 year old girl getting her hand tattooed and i felt really sorry for her. The tattooist had made her go away and think about it and basically told her not to do it up to the point she said she would just go somewhere else to get it. I gaurantee that before the year is out she will hate that tattoo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think you can dismiss a whole artform because it has been badly hi-jacked by a group of people.

I don't. As I said, I think a minority (but certainly not a tiny minority) of tattoos are wonderful pieces of art worn for good reasons by enthusaiasts. You sound like you fit into this group.
    Chavvy people can have tattoos but that does not make tattoos chavvy

No I agree, but it's easy to see where the connotation has arisen from though. Personally, I think it's usually obvious who are the enthusiasts and who are the sheep who just get them to fit in.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I have two tattoos. I am NOT council and I am NOT a chav.
    How do you know? :confused:

Ask any neds/chavs whether they are neds/chavs and they will almost always say that they aren't.
    ... it is small and tasteful...
    There's no such tattoo. Honestly. :)
  • Options
    wandering-starwandering-star Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    There's no such tattoo. Honestly. :)

In your opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ask any neds/chavs whether they are neds/chavs and they will almost always say that they aren't.There's no such tattoo. Honestly. :)

I think I know whether I'm a chav or not........and actually who are you to say I AM a chav? You dont know me.

And you've clearly not seen any tasteful tats......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I know whether I'm a chav or not........and actually who are you to say I AM a chav? You dont know me.
    I never said that you are. I only asked how you know that you aren't.
    And you've clearly not seen any tasteful tats......
    Clearly. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In your opinion.
    Obviously. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,940
    Forum Member
    But you cared enough to post in the thread. :)

It isn't compulsory to post in every thread that you open.

Err ... is stating that I am "not bothered" about tattoos not an opinion? Personally, I like them.

Sorry for not giving a long-winded explanation. Maybe I'm just sick of people acting like the self-appointed Good Taste Police and making asinine statements like "lolz all tattoos are chavvy and badly done", "council! council! council!", and "ewww, tramp stamps" etc, and asking people whether they're a chav or not simply because they've got a tattoo. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally can't stand them. They're so council (to coin a phrase I heard on here a while ago)

I agree with you. Maybe not everyone who has tattoos is cheap and nasty but they do tend to make the person look council and tacky imo. Just not very nice and a bit low rent
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I like them. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angel Dust wrote: »
    I agree with you. Maybe not everyone who has tattoos is cheap and nasty but they do tend to make the person look council and tacky imo. Just not very nice and a bit low rent

Disagree.

I am certainly not cheap and nasty and several people have commented on how nice mine are.

I wish people would stop generalising.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Explain how i look low rent.

My £1000 suit, £150 shirt and £3000 watch is all you will see and you will equally wrongly judge me based on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness though, most wearers of 'sleeves' that i've met don't have PhDs or responsibility for £30m budgets, so it could be said that you're the exception rather than the rule.

Everyone here has a PhD...

I have a Superman symbol, the Seal of Rassilon and am currently considering getting a medieval woodcut style image tattooed on me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree.

I am certainly not cheap and nasty and several people have commented on how nice mine are.

I wish people would stop generalising.

I didn't say you are cheap and nasty but IN MY OPINION they CAN make people look cheap and nasty and I don't get why anyone would want to do that to themself
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ask any neds/chavs whether they are neds/chavs and they will almost always say that they aren't.There's no such tattoo. Honestly. :)

I think you can allow people enough credit to be able to work out if they live in a council house or not. They probably also know if they fit the chav stereotype too.

I have tattoos and i am neither "council" or "chav".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't say you are cheap and nasty but IN MY OPINION they CAN make people look cheap and nasty and I don't get why anyone would want to do that to themself

I don't have any, always wanted one but couldn't decide and now i'm 33 probably won't bother.

But most people I know who have them seem to think it's a nice pain. I guess you can't empathise 'till you've been inked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But most people I know who have them seem to think it's a nice [/I]pain. I guess you can't empathise 'till you've been inked.

I wouldnt go that far! :)
  • Options
    wandering-starwandering-star Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the people who have a tattoo done dont think it does make them look cheap and nasty they do it because they like the look.
    I don't have any, always wanted one but couldn't decide and now i'm 33 probably won't bother.

But most people I know who have them seem to think it's a nice pain. I guess you can't empathise 'till you've been inked.
    I wish it was a nice pain but for me it really wasn't it was awful but I loved the finished result.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Looks like someone's cage has been well and truly rattled :D

And, to be honest, bragging about how qualified you are, how expensive the clothes and jewellery you wear are and generally how important you are is far more uncouth than any tattoo.