only fools and horses - facts thread

Comments

• jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Rodney's Mum supported Charlton. Grandad supported Millwall and Del's friend worked at Chelsea.

Rodney was a Chelsea fan, who used to stand on the "Shed" end. I'm sure it was mentioned in the episode where he was dating the girl with royal connections, can't remember the name right now, in the scene when Del did his "skiiing joke". Somebody asked Rodney if he took a box, Del replied that he was tall enough to see OK.
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tessa Peake Jones (Raquel) was only going to appear in the episode 'dates' as a one-off character, for a 1 time only appearence.

but the character was so popular amongst only fools fans, that John Sullivan made her a permanent fixture.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Oh no, I was beaten to the honour of first sarcastic reply! :p Well, here's my go:

Only Fools and Horses is unfunny and well past its sell-by date. Fact.
    It is also a fact that Only Fools and Horses is one of the most popular comedy shows ever, the last episode of the trilogy in 1996 attracted over 23 million viewers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    It is also a fact that Only Fools and Horses is one of the most popular comedy shows ever, the last episode of the trilogy in 1996 attracted over 23 million viewers.

No you are wrong. Most of those viewers in fact have died of boredom watching continual repeats of OFAH and therefore cannot get up to change the channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you are wrong. Most of those viewers in fact have died of boredom watching continual repeats of OFAH and therefore cannot get up to change the channel.

Nobody hancuffs them, and forces them to watch UK GOLD.

they invented this thing called a 'remote control' where if you dont like a certain channel, you can switch over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TJK2008 wrote: »
    Yep and there was a mention of Chelsea too but nothing about crystal palace.

Actually there was a mention about Crystal Palace in one ep where Del made a dismissive comment about a plain girl that Rodney had claimed resembled the Dynasty character Crystal Carrington, and del quipped, Crytal palace, more like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Nobody hancuffs them, and forces them to watch UK GOLD.

they invented this thing called a 'remote control' where if you dont like a certain channel, you can switch over.

So that's what the battery box is for! :confused:
  • jaydogzjaydogz Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Rodney's Mum supported Charlton. Grandad supported Millwall and Del's friend worked at Chelsea.
    Also not forgetting Del got Boycie tickets for Wimbledon :D
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was just being silly, referring to how people say "....Fact.". e.g. "Dettoll protects. Fact."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this is a 100% fact or not - however it was a small rumour from years ago.

some people have said, that in the episode 'If They Could See Us Now.....' - you was originally going to see the 3 wheel van extended into a long limousine type car.

For those who have the official VHS video tape release of this episode, can see the 3 wheel van extension (into a limousine) on the front cover.

some suggest we was actually going to see the 3 wheel extension car in the episode.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    The later series exteriors were filmed around Bristol.
    The "Batman and Robin" sequence was filmed in Bristol City Centre, and the scenes of Del and Rodney chasing the thief around steeply hilled streets were filmed around Broadwalk shopping Centre in Knowle.

The riot (inadvertantly caused by Del boy) in one of the Xmas specials was filmed around the huge Hartcliffe Estate in South west Bristol - ironically where there had been actual riots quite recently and even stranger I recall hearing that the locals who were used as extras were generally dressed as the riot police. A lot of the civilian characters had lines, so had to be "proper" actors/ artistes - so potentially the people playing the riot police in that episode may have been real rioters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Actually there was a mention about Crystal Palace in one ep where Del made a dismissive comment about a plain girl that Rodney had claimed resembled the Dynasty character Crystal Carrington, and del quipped, Crytal palace, more like.

Ooo.

Do you know what ep it was?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the episode 'time on our hands' where Del and Rodney become millionaires

when Del and Rodders are at sothebys auction room - there was originally going to be a scene in which Cassandra, Raquel and Albert are back at the flat, wondering what is keeping Del and Rodney, as they have been at sothebys for ages.

this scene was cut due to time restrictions, and was never, ever broadcast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _Venger_ wrote: »
    Anyone else want to see one more episode surface before its too late? (Davd Jason dies)

No it would be terrible no matter how well its written. All the original actors are far to old now it would look stupid.
  • decemberboydecemberboy Posts: 3,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooo.

I'm pretty certain it's the one where Rodney is dating the older woman whose husband is in prison. Can't remember the episode title off hand though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,821
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty certain it's the one where Rodney is dating the older woman whose husband is in prison. Can't remember the episode title off hand though

No Greater Love :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    The outdoor scenes in the episode when Raquel first appeared were filmed less than a mile from where I lived at the time in Bristol. The exterior of the Nag's Head was the Bristol Flyer pub on Gloucester Rd (still there today). Trigger took his girlfriend for dinner in the restaurant oppoiste the pub, and the exterior of the police station when Del is arrested at the end of the episode was the Bristol North Baths (also on Gloucester Rd and now derilict).

Coincidentally, the Young Ones' house is literally just around the corner (off the main road) about a 2 minute walk away.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Is it true that the 'bar scene' was totally accidental ?

It certainly wasn't original anyway : I remember Basil Fawlty almost falling through a door he thought was closed,and Norman Wisdom doing the same in one of his movies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Jason has experience in falling through hatch doors in theatre plays, and knowing how to land properly - he spent time in theatre plays before becoming an actor on TV.

Thats why, when he 'fell through the bar' in Yuppy Love - he did it so brilliantly.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,032
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    David Jason has experience in falling through hatch doors in theatre plays, and knowing how to land properly - he spent time in theatre plays before becoming an actor on TV.

Thats why, when he 'fell through the bar' in Yuppy Love - he did it so brilliantly.

I saw David Jason on stage many years ago Could have been " No sex please, we're British"
    He threw himself about a lot there too
  • makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I once read that Lennard Pearce, whilst touring with a play in the thirties, met and spoke with Adolf Hilter who came backstage to meet/greet the performers after the show...

...Can anyone confirm that I've got that right, or have I imagined it?!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you will find that record is held by the Morecambe and Wise Christmas Show 1977 which was watched by 28,835,000 viewers, more than half the population of the UK at that time (BBC figures).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makara80 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I once read that Lennard Pearce, whilst touring with a play in the thirties, met and spoke with Adolf Hilter who came backstage to meet/greet the performers after the show...

...Can anyone confirm that I've got that right, or have I imagined it?!

I personally haven't heard that rumour.

I'm not saying your wrong, you could very well be right - but me personally, I haven't heard it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooo.

Yes, TJK. It was shown on ukgold last week for the
    47,000th time. Homesick, I'm sure it was when trotters were going to get a new flat but were found out in the end. I could be mistaken of course, but it could only have been from that third series. in 1983 Homesick was 1st episode.I'm sure.