Options

I might be in love with...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Hi guys. I've been a regular reader of this forum for a few years but only registered yesterday as I require some in regards to a pressing matter. It is about my feelings for a guy that I should not be getting close to. But I can't help it.

I am a 25 year old female with an average kind of life. Have had a few relationships but nothing serious.

Eight years ago I saw this guy for the first time. He was my elder sister's fiance. I never had any feelings for him like I am having now. I just regarded him as my would-be brother-in-law. He did marry her and they have a 5 year old daughter. However, few years back, he had an accident and lost most of his independence. He had to start using a wheelchair and get care.

My sister, who I am sure loved him, started to get estranged from him. I guess because of his injury and so. Then she started seeing other men behind his back. She would tell me and take me along to meet them. I found this odd but refrained from saying anything to brother-in-law. I didn't think it was my place to tell him. I did tell my sister that she is not doing the right thing and she should either break off the affairs or tell her husband. She said it's just a bit of fun she is having and nothing serious. Said she loves him and is planning to stick with him for the rest of her life. But then I came to know that someone else told him about his wife but he kept it to himself. He did not ask her anything about it. I found this weird. He was letting her play around.

My brother drowned. And that was a tragedy. I was upset. Few days before he told me he had been to see my birthday present. As it was my 21st he was going to give me something special. But before he could, he died. My brother-in-law saw I was upset and asked my sister why is she crying her eyes over her birthday. She told him that he was going to get him something from the jewelers but died before buying it. So my brother-in-law then went to the exact same jewelers and asked about the pendant. He bought it and got it delivered to me on my birthday but made sure I thought it was from my brother. That he had done it all before he had died. I did not know that my brother-in-law did this. He never told anyone but his wife. And she told me only a few months ago. I thought it was a great thing to do to make me remember my brother by. Very unselfish.

At the start of this year my mum was diagnosed with cancer and was given a few weeks to live. She was in hospital until the last few days. My brother-in-law made sure that he took me and brought me back every single day - hospital. He would also sit with my mum for hours when there was no one else free. He was making time while my sister was out with her guys.

He then brought mum home for her last few days. She only had 2 in the end. Was very ill and out of it due to sedation. We were all waiting with her as GP said she could go anytime. His house is very small so it was all cramped for space and in one room was mum and the other us all. Me, my sister, her husband and daughter. I was on the bed with my niece, who was fast asleep and my sister and brother-in-law were talking. I did not know what happened but I fell asleep. I woke up after a few hours, early morning, and I saw that he had moved himself onto the floor and was sleeping there. And my sister had not been in the room for hours. She was with mum. I found this very kind of him.

Mum passed away and he offered to pay for her funeral and stuff. He borrowed money. I would be upset a lot so he would tell me not to be upset and that she has gone to a better place. So so. Now, as I have no one else, he is always keeping in touch and keeps offering me help. He never says anything untoward.

And I think I'm in love with him. I know some people will say that I have gone through a bad period in life and he has been there, therefore these feelings have surfaced. That they will recede. But mum died like 2 and a half months ago. I still have them. I can't go an hour without thinking of him. I try and find time to call him. And the other thing is that he is not like any other guys I have dated. He is disabled. He has a tough life. Plus his wife is cheating on him and he is letting her be. He has genuine care for me. I think he might love me too. Why else would he help me out so much and look out for me. Especially if my sister is doing the dirty on him.

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    He is doing everything he does because he has known you for a long time and you are a sister in his eyes. He is doing what a brother would.
    Please don't tell him you have these feelings for him because I truly think he would be aghast and would then feel he had to distance himself. At the moment you are grieving for your Mum and this has intensified your feelings to something more than they really are.
  • Options
    topupkrazytopupkrazy Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Yasmin786 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I've been a regular reader of this forum for a few years but only registered yesterday as I require some in regards to a pressing matter. It is about my feelings for a guy that I should not be getting close to. But I can't help it.

I am a 25 year old female with an average kind of life. Have had a few relationships but nothing serious.

Eight years ago I saw this guy for the first time. He was my elder sister's fiance. I never had any feelings for him like I am having now. I just regarded him as my would-be brother-in-law. He did marry her and they have a 5 year old daughter. However, few years back, he had an accident and lost most of his independence. He had to start using a wheelchair and get care.

My sister, who I am sure loved him, started to get estranged from him. I guess because of his injury and so. Then she started seeing other men behind his back. She would tell me and take me along to meet them. I found this odd but refrained from saying anything to brother-in-law. I didn't think it was my place to tell him. I did tell my sister that she is not doing the right thing and she should either break off the affairs or tell her husband. She said it's just a bit of fun she is having and nothing serious. Said she loves him and is planning to stick with him for the rest of her life. But then I came to know that someone else told him about his wife but he kept it to himself. He did not ask her anything about it. I found this weird. He was letting her play around.

My brother drowned. And that was a tragedy. I was upset. Few days before he told me he had been to see my birthday present. As it was my 21st he was going to give me something special. But before he could, he died. My brother-in-law saw I was upset and asked my sister why is she crying her eyes over her birthday. She told him that he was going to get him something from the jewelers but died before buying it. So my brother-in-law then went to the exact same jewelers and asked about the pendant. He bought it and got it delivered to me on my birthday but made sure I thought it was from my brother. That he had done it all before he had died. I did not know that my brother-in-law did this. He never told anyone but his wife. And she told me only a few months ago. I thought it was a great thing to do to make me remember my brother by. Very unselfish.

At the start of this year my mum was diagnosed with cancer and was given a few weeks to live. She was in hospital until the last few days. My brother-in-law made sure that he took me and brought me back every single day - hospital. He would also sit with my mum for hours when there was no one else free. He was making time while my sister was out with her guys.

He then brought mum home for her last few days. She only had 2 in the end. Was very ill and out of it due to sedation. We were all waiting with her as GP said she could go anytime. His house is very small so it was all cramped for space and in one room was mum and the other us all. Me, my sister, her husband and daughter. I was on the bed with my niece, who was fast asleep and my sister and brother-in-law were talking. I did not know what happened but I fell asleep. I woke up after a few hours, early morning, and I saw that he had moved himself onto the floor and was sleeping there. And my sister had not been in the room for hours. She was with mum. I found this very kind of him.

Mum passed away and he offered to pay for her funeral and stuff. He borrowed money. I would be upset a lot so he would tell me not to be upset and that she has gone to a better place. So so. Now, as I have no one else, he is always keeping in touch and keeps offering me help. He never says anything untoward.

And I think I'm in love with him. I know some people will say that I have gone through a bad period in life and he has been there, therefore these feelings have surfaced. That they will recede. But mum died like 2 and a half months ago. I still have them. I can't go an hour without thinking of him. I try and find time to call him. And the other thing is that he is not like any other guys I have dated. He is disabled. He has a tough life. Plus his wife is cheating on him and he is letting her be. He has genuine care for me. I think he might love me too. Why else would he help me out so much and look out for me. Especially if my sister is doing the dirty on him.
    ]i don't usually reply to posts on ds, but your story really broke my heart. Your brother sounds like an incredibly sweet individual. [I can understand why you may start to have developed feelings for him. [I would advise you to wait after you feel you have fully grieved the passing of both your mother and brother before you pursue anything. i am of the thought that if you feel you are truly destined to be with someone, you will strive to make it happen no matter the consequences, but with so much at stake you need to be 100% sure.

Good Luck x
  • Options
    NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know the answer.

Mum - cancer.
    Brother - Drowned
    Brother in law - disabled
    Sister - cheating.

To say you have had a lot to deal with is an understatement. You need to deal with the tragedies in your life before anything else. Even if you think you have dealt with them, your sister will always be your sister, something you can't change. Keep these feelings to yourself, no good will come of them.

ignoring those tragedies for a moment - let say they didn't happen, and you developed feelings for your brother in law. What would the advice be then? Well it would be the same - your sister will always be your sister, something you can't change. Keep these feelings to yourself, no good will come of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have resisted and will do so. But then there is the thought of making his life better. Because I can make him happy. I am pretty sure he isn't happy right now and there isn't anyone that can think of him. Should be my sister but she is too busy doing her stuff. As far as my thinking goes, he is only with her because of his child. If they separate he might lose that too. Because he is disabled himself and unable to care for a child. Whereas I could. It's just a thought.

The tragedies that have occurred should have affected my sister the same - if not more. She just chose an easy but dangerous way of coping I guess. I don't feel angry towards her. I just think she should try and offer him a happier life. If she can't then she should let someone else.

There is one other potential angle to this. I am getting evicted soon from my flat and my brother-in-law has said I can move in with them until I sort myself out. It is the best, and only offer, I have had. I will have to take it but am scared as to what might happen when living together.
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have resisted and will do so. But then there is the thought of making his life better. Because I can make him happy. I am pretty sure he isn't happy right now and there isn't anyone that can think of him. Should be my sister but she is too busy doing her stuff. As far as my thinking goes, he is only with her because of his child. If they separate he might lose that too. Because he is disabled himself and unable to care for a child. Whereas I could. It's just a thought.

The tragedies that have occurred should have affected my sister the same - if not more. She just chose an easy but dangerous way of coping I guess. I don't feel angry towards her. I just think she should try and offer him a happier life. If she can't then she should let someone else.

There is one other potential angle to this. I am getting evicted soon from my flat and my brother-in-law has said I can move in with them until I sort myself out. It is the best, and only offer, I have had. I will have to take it but am scared as to what might happen when living together.

He does seem a nice guy but he is your sisters husband and not yours. If they get divorced then tell him how you feel otherwise do nothing. Just imagine how you will be treated by the rest of your family if you act on your feelings? I have been tempted myself in the past but I always think what the consequences of my actions would be and would never betray my family ever.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not under any circumstances move in with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't want to move in with him. I never wanted him to secretly buy me a gift so that I could cherish my brother's memory with it. I never wanted him to make it appear as though it was from my late brother. I never wanted him to help me out meeting my mum while her days were less. I never wanted him to let my mum pass away at home - his home. I never wanted him to look out for me while I have nothing. These things are happening themselves. Or rather he is doing them. Probably out of the care and love he has for his wife and family values. But his wife is not treating him right and he knows she is unfaithful. If someone who has gone through an accident, loosing his independence, having to get other people to care for him, see his wife frolicking with other able men - and yet this person is giving a damn for his sister-in law (me). Why would he? Why does he not just say to hell with it. Why does he continue to help others out - especially me. Could he feel for me too?

Thing is he is not the kind of guy I would usually go for. He is the exact opposite. If I am falling (or have fallen in love) with a person in a wheelchair then it must be special. I want to give up everything, not that I have much, for him. Just to make his life better. I truly feel that something is bringing us together. There are too many variables at work here that are making him and me come closer.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are too many variables at work here that are making him and me come closer.

The fact the he's married to your sister being the main factor.

Hardly a mad coincidence is it - it's just a way of you justifying what you wish to do, you know it's wrong and trying to imply it's fate is just a defence mechanism.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    The fact the he's married to your sister being the main factor.

Hardly a mad coincidence is it - it's just a way of you justifying what you wish to do, you know it's wrong and trying to imply it's fate is just a defence mechanism.

Absolutely! It's not fate, Yasmin, and you know it. Don't go there.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Op how do you know you would be better for him than your sister? Cheating aside he must love her as hes chosen her to be his wife and the mother of his children and not you. Sorry if that sounds harsh but maybe he is happy with your sister?

If you do have to move in with them nothing has to happen between you. Dont make a move while hes with your sister.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's still married and with your sister at this moment in time?

Forget it. Forget the feelings, forget the thoughts, forget this thread, forget everything.

Sorry to be harsh but there is no right way to deal with this except to reiterate that you cannot have him and it's tough shit and then move on.

The more you dress it up as fate, or like the stars aligned and brought you together, the more you're gonna go to cuckoo land.

It cannot happen, the end.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relationships can appear to have odd dynamics at times when looking in from the outside and this couple may be happier than you imagine. For example, your sister may be cheating in your eyes, but apparently her husband is tolerant of it, even if he hasn't given his blessing (though he very well may have).

All of you have been through so much, your sister no less than anyone and more so than some. Unless you want to lose your remaining family, I would put this rose-tinted notion out of your head.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    He is doing everything he does because he has known you for a long time and you are a sister in his eyes. He is doing what a brother would.
    Please don't tell him you have these feelings for him because I truly think he would be aghast and would then feel he had to distance himself. At the moment you are grieving for your Mum and this has intensified your feelings to something more than they really are.

Spot on I would think, your brother sadly died before he could get your present, so your other brother got it for you. You needed a brother's shoulder during your mum's final days, and he provided it. He sounds an very lovely man who wanted to take care of his sister - because that's how he sees you.

As to the relationship between your sister and brother in law, you don't actually know what goes on behind closed doors, what works for them, what's been said between them.

You've been through an awful time, but I think you're putting a romantic spin on the situation, which simply isn't there - it's not stars aligning, it's a very lovely sounding man being a very good big brother to someone who needed his support and kind actions.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know the answer.

Mum - cancer.
    Brother - Drowned
    Brother in law - disabled
    Sister - cheating.

Is the question "Am I unlucky?" ? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I would guess like you that he has feelings for you. If you're as deeply in love as you sound and she's cheating on him, then do something.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Jimbo99 wrote: »
    I would guess like you that he has feelings for you. If you're as deeply in love as you sound and she's cheating on him, then do something.

This is awful, awful advice.

OP I agree with everyone else on this thread, he is acting like any normal brother would. He obviously loves you like a sister and with regards to the whole, "my sister is cheating on him so I'd be better for him" thing really doesn't sit right with me. If he knows as you say he does and has chosen to accept it then that's his choice. You don't have the right to judge other people's relationships, they all work in different ways.

I would guess these feelings are there because you see him as the one person that has been there for you after two terrible situations, when really he is just doing what any other brother would do.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The feelings of a brother!
    He has done nothing romantic but just looked out for his wife's sister through a tough time. If she does something she will lose her remaining family member, her niece and him. If he knows his wife is seeing other men it may be that they have an agreement that she gets her sexual enjoyment that way and comes home to him to be a family still. We don't know that he can have sex still, and if he doesn't he may realise his wife has needs in that way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Utter bollocks. Please do not pay attention to this, unless you are coveting more drama and heartache.
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member

I agree. It's better to regret the things you did, rather than regret the things you didn't do. :)
  • Options
    PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too agree that you should not let him know how you feel. If you do it can make him feel awkward around you, also you may lose your sister and niece/nephew. It might make you feel better telling him but will hurt a lot more people by doing so.

If you want to keep the family you have you must love him like a brother in law and keep your feelings to yourself. Be there for him as a loving sister. Sorry you have had such a sad time and good luck.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be making a lot of presumptions here, but isn't it possible that they love each other very much but due to his accident then the physical expression of this is compromised. Possibly he has always been aware that his wife has physical relationships elsewhere.

I'm presuming that their child was born before the accident.

The OP should be ashamed of herself really, fostering ambitions of stealing her neices father away from her mother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. It's better to regret the things you did, rather than regret the things you didn't do. :)

Yes let's encourage her to do the dirty on her own flesh and blood and lose her last remaining family! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might be making a lot of presumptions here, but isn't it possible that they love each other very much but due to his accident then the physical expression of this is compromised. Possibly he has always been aware that his wife has physical relationships elsewhere.

I'm presuming that their child was born before the accident.

The OP should be ashamed of herself really, fostering ambitions of stealing her neices father away from her mother.

Exactly my thoughts on it but far better expressed! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I wrote in the title of the thread, that I 'might' be in love. I have feelings for him that I have not had before for anyone. I can't identify what they may be.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if I'm being dense but if he lost his independence how did he take you to and from hospital?