I need help with my moggy. Refuses to eat and is very weak

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
Forum Member
✭✭
I know I do not normally post in the pets section, but I really need some help as I am very worried about my cat, he has lot a lot of weight over the past few months and now is refusing to eat altogether.

I gave him some milk which he drank but apart from that he is just not having anything. He is all skin and fur and is very weak on his hind legs, he has always been slim but I can feel all his bones. He is also going a bit doolally. I keep finding him having naps in the road, luckily I live in a cal-de-sac so he hasn't been run over. He used to have strong meow but it now sounds like a little yelp :(:(:(

I'm ringing the vets tomorrow but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I just want him to eat something. Sorry for the long ramble, but I've had this cat since I was seven. I couldn't bare to think of anything happening to him :cry:

Comments

• dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Milk as in regular milk or did you mean cat milk?

Just most cats shouldn't drink the milk we drink due to the lactose in it.

Vets sounds like a good idea, could be his thyroid if he's losing weight :)

Have you tried him with some ordinary tuna or plain chicken?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Milk as in regular milk or did you mean cat milk?

Just most cats shouldn't drink the milk we drink due to the lactose in it.

Vets sounds like a good idea, could be his thyroid if he's losing weight :)

Have you tried him with some ordinary tuna or plain chicken?

I've tried everything. I know milk is bad for him, but it was the only thing he would drink and I though better that then nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think he could be dehydrated at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried warming his food up. Also have you checked his mouth is he dribbling at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    Do you think he could be dehydrated at all

I certainly think so, its just trying to get him to drink. I've placed lots of water in front of him but he turns his head away
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    Have you tried warming his food up. Also have you checked his mouth is he dribbling at all

Will try warming up his food, thank you :) He is dribbling a bit, not an insane amount
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could just be teeth problems but a vet will answer that question for you. I hope you get this resolved quickly and simply.

Why do we feel so helpless when it comes to our pets? My son had horrible hallucinations due to a raised temperature as a small child yet I coped and he survived without medical intervention. My kit has a limp and I had him at the vet within an hour and a half...........he is still limping.

I will probably be asking for advice tomorrow :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he has ulcers in his mouth he won't eat at all. The dribbling can be caused by lots of things. If you haven't gone too the vets yet you must get water into him. Mix a teaspoon of sugar into cooled boiled water. And in possible give him at least one mil per hour by syringe. They will not drink from a bowl. Do his ears feel hot at all. P,ease let us know how he goes on at the vets
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this has been going on for months, let's hope it's not too late. Please let us know how you get on at the vets today.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my cat would not eat prawns always seemed to do the trick however you are right about a trip to the vets, it's the only solution.
    Mentioned this in other threads before but i game my last cat milk quite often and she lived to be over 20.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all. He is booked in to the vets tomorrow. I am hoping I am just being a fretting owner and really he is right as rain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    When my cat would not eat prawns always seemed to do the trick however you are right about a trip to the vets, it's the only solution.
    Mentioned this in other threads before but i game my last cat milk quite often and she lived to be over 20.

I will try prawns :)

I will save the milk debate for a later day. Right now its the only thing he is having and I would rather him have it then nothing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Op, has he got diahorreah? If not I'd say a little milk will be ok, but cats need taurine, which they can't produce themselves and is usually in their food, but is also found in cat milk. A perhaps try some cat milk mixed in with ordinary milk?

Not wanting to worry you (but I know I'd rather know) but when my old cats back leg control went the vet said it was a common sign of kidney issues (not sure on the link but she was certain), my old dear had 1001 other things wrong and we didn't pursue treatment but there were options. They are time sensitive however, and cats dehydrate very quickly kidney issues or not, so get to the vets ASAP, I'm sure if you call they fit you in for a morning appointment,

In the mean time t adding some strong cheese to food (or just cheese on its own worked for my girl) the smell is one that most cats can't resist (and I say this only as a stop gap- the lactose issues in the long term as still there, but like you I'm a believer in something rather than noting)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Op, has he got diahorreah? If not I'd say a little milk will be ok, but cats need taurine, which they can't produce themselves and is usually in their food, but is also found in cat milk. A perhaps try some cat milk mixed in with ordinary milk?

Not wanting to worry you (but I know I'd rather know) but when my old cats back leg control went the vet said it was a common sign of kidney issues (not sure on the link but she was certain), my old dear had 1001 other things wrong and we didn't pursue treatment but there were options. They are time sensitive however, and cats dehydrate very quickly kidney issues or not, so get to the vets ASAP, I'm sure if you call they fit you in for a morning appointment,

In the mean time t adding some strong cheese to food (or just cheese on its own worked for my girl) the smell is one that most cats can't resist (and I say this only as a stop gap- the lactose issues in the long term as still there, but like you I'm a believer in something rather than noting)

He does have diarrhoea, but I was panicking and it was the only thing he would drink. He also only had a few laps so its probably not enough to have any effect

Thanks for the info :) Its difficult to hear but I would rather know everything I can. He has signs of jaundice and it could be liver disease, but my vet told me if a cat hasn't eaten in days they go into secondary liver failure, so it may not be the primary cause.

Took him in to the vets and decided to leave him there so they can put him on fluids. I would rather take care of him at home, but he is severely dehydrated and I can't get him to drink anything so its the best place for him. They are giving him a full range of blood tests and are hoping to get the results later. They should ring me this evening. Nothing I can do now but play the waiting game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed they can sort him out. He's in the best place, even though i'd be the same as you and want to have him at home.

Keep us posted. :)
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    He does have diarrhoea, but I was panicking and it was the only thing he would drink. He also only had a few laps so its probably not enough to have any effect

Thanks for the info :) Its difficult to hear but I would rather know everything I can. He has signs of jaundice and it could be liver disease, but my vet told me if a cat hasn't eaten in days they go into secondary liver failure, so it may not be the primary cause.

Took him in to the vets and decided to leave him there so they can put him on fluids. I would rather take care of him at home, but he is severely dehydrated and I can't get him to drink anything so its the best place for him. They are giving him a full range of blood tests and are hoping to get the results later. They should ring me this evening. Nothing I can do now but play the waiting game

poor thing, I hope he can be treated successfully whatever it may be :(

Best wishes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »

Aww at least he's in the right place and the fluids will perk him up quick. Let us know how he gets on,
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any update on this OP?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Any update on this OP?

Intestinal tumour :( Its spread to other parts of his body, there is nothing we can do but try and make him as pain free as possible. I've made the decision to have him put down. I can keep him alive, but that would only be for my benefit and its not fair on him.

He is seventeen, so he has certainly had a good life, but still :cry:
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    So sorry to read that it's bad news. Seventeen is a very good age. He must have had some great adventures and wonderful memories.
    My best wishes to u xxx
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is so sad OP. I have been following the thread since you posted, and hoped for the best.

I know it is hard to make the choice to have your cat put to sleep - been there myself.

You made the right choice, though. Seventeen is a fantastic age for a cat, and I'm sure you gave him the best life possible. My thoughts are with you, OP.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I am sorry. Letting them go is so hard but it sounds as though you have made the right choice for the right reasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everyone. I am utterly devastated. I had this naive hope that I would start a thread, someone would tell me what to do and everything would go back to normal. I've never had to put a pet down before so its a horribly new experience for me. I'm determined to be there when it happens, but I don't know what to expect.

I'm going to bring him home for a few days. I know some will say to do it straight away but I need to say goodbye. If that makes me selfish then so be it. I can't do it straight away, I need him for a few more days

Its very hard for me because I've had him since I was seven. He has been there through nearly all my life and I don't know how to cope without him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLA29 wrote: »
    So sorry to read that it's bad news. Seventeen is a very good age. He must have had some great adventures and wonderful memories.
    My best wishes to u xxx

I know everyone says this about their cat, but mine really is a character. Just thinking about some of the things he gets up to makes me smile