Options

Apple iPhone 6 appreciation thread

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
A thread for those looking forward to the iPhone 6, or iPhone Air, whatever it's finally called.

The normal 'appreciation' rules apply; if you want to make negative comments or just argue, go somewhere else.

This thread is for speculation, leaks, and the build up to the launch.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a long time iPad user, I have resisted an iPhone for some time. I've had Windows phones for years, and have tried to stick with them. The wife has had a 3GS and now a 5c, and I'm now getting the feeling that I will move to an iPhone next time.

I'm currently using a Samsung ATIV S which is the Windows Phone equivalent of the Galaxy S3. For me, an iPhone with a larger screen would be ideal.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to a larger screen along with the new features of iOS 8. I recently tried the Xperia Z2 which I felt was a bit too big, while going back to the 5S then felt a bit too small. I'm hoping the strongly rumoured 4.7" will be "just right".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon69c wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to a larger screen along with the new features of iOS 8. I recently tried the Xperia Z2 which I felt was a bit too big, while going back to the 5S then felt a bit too small. I'm hoping the strongly rumoured 4.7" will be "just right".

My ATIV S has a 4.8 inch screen, and that fits nicely in my pocket.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I reckon the 6 will be a "skip-er" and that its the 7 that you really want to pre-appreciate.....

Now if only there were a thread for that :blush:
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the leaked pictures, etc. I think the design still has that 'classy' look that apple then to achieve. I'm interested to see if they move the power button but as someone pointed out, it isn't actually used often, so that may not be that important. It will also be interesting to see if they leverage off the beats ownership.

Ultimately it will come down to speed improvements, battery performance and whether they increase the base level storage option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I reckon the 6 will be a "skip-er" and that its the 7 that you really want to pre-appreciate.....

Now if only there were a thread for that :blush:

I don't think there will be a 7 as I reckon they will move to the 'air' name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I don't think there will be a 7 as I reckon they will move to the 'air' name.

Thats such a mature answer kidspud >:(

what comes after Air though ? Air 2 ? or is Air some clever play on the letter "a" and the next one one start "b" ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

what comes after Air though ? Air 2 ? or is Air some clever play on the letter "a" and the next one one start "b" ?

That's a good question. Maybe it will one of those add a letter/take away a letter word game.

Could be the fair, hair, pair (not bad if they bring out 2 at once):)
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member

Who knows hey, I mean look at what Microsoft did with the xbox. You have the XBOX, then the XBOX360, then the XBOXONE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people think that the phablet will be called the iPhone Air, but as it's bigger and heavier than the smaller iPhone that would make no sense at all.

Mind you, calling the iPad 4 the 'iPad with Retina Display' was pretty silly.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I am looking forward to it as I am due a upgrade but I will look at Samsung if there not something eye grabbing as the last few updates seem lack lusture
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    I am looking forward to it as I am due a upgrade but I will look at Samsung if there not something eye grabbing as the last few updates seem lack lusture

I'm not sure how 'eye grabbing' a phone can be. With a larger screen and thinner body there isn't much room for styling.

This will become a war for features. If Apple put on the super-tough glass that will be a step forward. Previous iPhones have been very delicate. For some time most of the people I knew who had an iPhone 4/4s had a broken front or back. Even the iPhone 5/5s picks up scratches around the edge of the metal case.

Maybe I just look after my phones more than other people, but the screen and plastic body of my Samsung are flawless. I'm looking forward to an iPhone 6 which is tough.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    I'm not sure how 'eye grabbing' a phone can be. With a larger screen and thinner body there isn't much room for styling.

This will become a war for features. If Apple put on the super-tough glass that will be a step forward. Previous iPhones have been very delicate. For some time most of the people I knew who had an iPhone 4/4s had a broken front or back. Even the iPhone 5/5s picks up scratches around the edge of the metal case.

Maybe I just look after my phones more than other people, but the screen and plastic body of my Samsung are flawless. I'm looking forward to an iPhone 6 which is tough.

Well first off I want a better battery life and I am concerned that a bigger screen and not a massive improvement in battery life will make the phone useless . My battery can drain so quickly on a train ride and it's got to the point where I need to bring out a charger with me during the day .

My screen has a screen protector on it and has no marks so not partically fussed by new glass .
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Great idea to make this an appreciation thread. Should (in theory) stop this from descending into the usual iOS vs Android bollocks that inflicts most other iPhone threads.

Although it looks like the mods are still going to be kept busy as there are already a large number of off topic posts in the thread

EDIT or there was
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    In order of importance, I'm looking forward to....

1. WiFi calling built into native dialler.
    2. Automatic Siri (no having to press the button).
    3. Bigger screen.

I nearly installed iOS8 beta 3 on my 5 but then chickened out and will wait for beta 4.
    :)
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I got my Nexus 4, I moved to using that as my main device for several weeks, but there were specific apps that I liked on iOS which weren't on Android and I couldn't find replacements that I liked as much. As well as that, I found with the people I communicate most with using iMessage, it became an inconvenience to not be on the iPhone. I still really enjoyed the size of the Nexus 4 and I've continued to use it for web browsing, and I really like Swype as a keyboard for typing longer messages.

If the iPhone's going to have a similar sized screen and Swype, that would combine the best of both of my devices, so a 4.7" screen iPhone is pretty ideal for me.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I nearly installed iOS8 beta 3 on my 5 but then chickened out and will wait for beta 4.
    :)

I took beta 1 and 2 off my phone pretty quick. Not bothered with beta 3 although thats more due to worrying issues in the DP of Yosemite (which is needed for continuity with Macs) than issues with the third beta of iOS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really hope storage capacity starts at 32gb as an absolute minimum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope storage capacity starts at 32gb as an absolute minimum.

Given that Apple recently launched a 8GB version of the 5c, I think that's unlikely. However, there will probably be a 128GB version for those who require lots of spare room and have lots of spare cash!

My iPads are 32GB, and along with iCloud that's enough storage for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I guess storage realy is not an issue so much, iOS so so advanced there is no real need to down apps for basic functions like you need to on other OS's

An with streaming services like Spotify music storage is not really as vital as it once was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just been looking into sapphire glass, it seems on the iPhone 6 sapphire glass will be thinner and more durable than gorilla glass. Looks like Apples innovation will once again lead the field.

Although I fully expect other manufacturers to follow Apples lead and use Sapphire glass in a year or 2. Apples innovation never fails to amaze.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been looking into sapphire glass, it seems on the iPhone 6 sapphire glass will be thinner and more durable than gorilla glass. Looks like Apples innovation will once again lead the field.

Although I fully expect other manufacturers to follow Apples lead and use Sapphire glass in a year or 2. Apples innovation never fails to amaze.

The videos showing the durability of the glass are pretty impressive.

Yes, it's about innovation, but it's also about taking the decision to introduce more advanced technology at a certain price point.

The fingerprint scanner in the 5s is a case in point: there were fingerprint scanners before, but few companies would take the decision to put it in their major product.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    better battery life, better camera, 'swype' typing, water proof or resistant, bigger than current iPhone but smaller than the Sony Z2 etc would seriously make me consider gritting my teeth and going back to iTunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member

An interesting read for you Jamie.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/28/for-apple-fans-dreaming-of-sapphire-iphones-liquidmetal-could-be-a-cautionary-tale

.... Interesting also the bit about vertu having used sapphire glass for some time and being cautious about options for mass producing such screens.....

Seems like its great for items such as buttons and (maybe) watches but costly, heavy, and dull for phone screens.

Whilst apple will, I'm sure, ride on Vertu's innovation at some point I'd wager that the iPhone 6 might be a generation or too early.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An interesting read for you Jamie.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/28/for-apple-fans-dreaming-of-sapphire-iphones-liquidmetal-could-be-a-cautionary-tale

.... Interesting also the bit about vertu having used sapphire glass for some time and being cautious about options for mass producing such screens.....

Seems like its great for items such as buttons and (maybe) watches but costly, heavy, and dull for phone screens.

Whilst apple will, I'm sure, ride on Vertu's innovation at some point I'd wager that the iPhone 6 might be a generation or too early.

That wasn't really very interesting for me, sapphire or no sapphire glass either way it's not a deal maker or a deal breaker for me, I suspect the same for many others.

If in larger sizes it's to brittle then they won't use it. Some seem to have forgot, customers of the next iPhone are not buying a piece of glass, they're buying a phone. Yeah that's right it's just a phone.