Why does Nick Grimshaw have much better listening figures than Chris Evans?

pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
Forum Member
So latest results have Grimshaw on 5.97M and Evans on 9.91M. Grimshaw covers 15-35 age range and Evans 35+ (let's say 35-75 to simplify the Maths).

So per 1 year age range Grimashaw has 299k listeners and Evans 248k, so Grimshaw has 20% more listeners in each year band than Evans e.g. on average there are 20% more 30 year olds listening to Grimshaw than 40 year olds listening to Evans.

What is Nick Grimshaw doing so well to get these impressive figures? Before anyone shouts how he's got less than Moyles, well Moyles was probably attracting a 30 year age range (15-45), so again per 1 year age range Grimshaw is way better than Moyles, many more 20 somethings listening he's just lost the 35-45 year olds.

What does Evans need to do to ensure his audience is double Gimshaws so he has the same listeners per 1 year age range?

Comments

• Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Are you for real?? I suppose it is the summer holidays and we've not had one of your wind ups for a while.

Evans is performing far better than Grimshaw who has very little competition. Most other stations targetthe same age range as Radio 2.

I'll look forward to your ludecrous suggestions later as it'll give me a good laugh.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Are you for real?? I suppose it is the summer holidays and we've not had one of your wind ups for a while.

Evans is performing far better than Grimshaw who has very little competition. Most other stations targetthe same age range as Radio 2.

I'll look forward to your ludecrous suggestions later as it'll give me a good laugh.

Disagree most commercial stations are after 20 and 30 somethings, so more of Radio 1's range than Radio 2's. Capital, Capital Xtra, XFM, Heart to name but a few are after this audience.

Grimmy's certainly not for me but to be getting 6 million with a much narrower age range than Moyles or Evans is very commendable. I'm just wondering what people thought was the reason for his success as I don't get it?

The BBC are obviously very pleased with his performance and I don't see how Evans is 'performing far better' when he has such a broader audience to target. I think my method of dividing audience by target age range gives a much better indication of success for a radio show and Grimshaw is 20% up on Evans under this measure.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,886
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »

Evans is performing far better than Grimshaw who has very little competition. Most other stations target the same age range as Radio 2.

As well as the competition it also ignores the fact that the number of people in each age range is different, often by a large factor, and that people outside the station's targeted age range listen to them.

This is why the BBC do percentage reach by age range when they look at the reach of their stations, and sometimes individual programmes.
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    As well as the competition it also ignores the fact that the number of people in each age range is different, often by a large factor, and that people outside the station's targeted age range listen to them.

This is why the BBC do percentage reach by age range when they look at the reach of their stations, and sometimes individual programmes.

Whilst over 70 the number of people in each year group will reduce, from 15-70 each year should have a similar population, age pyramid.

So I think double the population aged 35-75, we can go to 80 to compensate for the slightly lower numbers at the top end if you like, compared to 15-35 is about right.

Also agree with people outside the range listening but that will also balance for every 45 year old Radio 1 listener there will be a 25 year old Radio 2 listener.

Agree not an exact calculation, but Grimshaw is never going to reach Evans level of listenership give he's narrower age target and I still think my argument stands he is doing better when you allow for the difference in target audiences.
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    So latest results have Grimshaw on 5.97M and Evans on 9.91M. Grimshaw covers 15-35 age range and Evans 35+ (let's say 35-75 to simplify the Maths).

So per 1 year age range Grimashaw has 299k listeners and Evans 248k, so Grimshaw has 20% more listeners in each year band than Evans e.g. on average there are 20% more 30 year olds listening to Grimshaw than 40 year olds listening to Evans.

What is Nick Grimshaw doing so well to get these impressive figures? Before anyone shouts how he's got less than Moyles, well Moyles was probably attracting a 30 year age range (15-45), so again per 1 year age range Grimshaw is way better than Moyles, many more 20 somethings listening he's just lost the 35-45 year olds.

What does Evans need to do to ensure his audience is double Gimshaws so he has the same listeners per 1 year age range?

Chris Evans has 4 million more listeners than Nick Grimshaw. I'll admit that's baffling, but he is undoubtedly the king of radio.

Bear in mind there is no bar to anyone listening to radio one. 90 year olds can listen to Grimmy if they want. Annie Nightingale for instance !
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is really no national competition up against. It'll be different if Global or Bauer decided too do a national breakfast show. They would need a strong candidate.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love stupid people, this place would be boring without them!
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    There is really no national competition up against. It'll be different if Global or Bauer decided too do a national breakfast show. They would need a strong candidate.

What like Kiss, Planet Rock or Absolute Radio you mean?
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    What like Kiss, Planet Rock or Absolute Radio you mean?

Difference is they are not national on FM, that's the huge advantage the BBC will have ensuring Grimmy and Evans retain their huge audiences.

To even things out the Bbc should hand one national FM licence to the commercial sector, then it would BBC 3 and Commercial 2 on national FM rather than the current 4-1.

In classical music their is national competition, explains Radio 3's low audience. The same needs to happen for pop music. Radio 1 and 2 should remain separate on DAB but share FM in the same way they did up until about 1990 before Radio 1 was FM nationwide.

So does Grimmy or Evans get the FM slot?
    Forum Member
    I love stupid people, this place would be boring without them!

That comment makes no sense, is it your own stupid post you love?
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How often does Grimshaw play One Direction these days?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder who'll take over from Tony Blackburn when he steps down from the breakfast show, I've heard that young lad Edmonds might.:):)