Options

BBC Famous Five

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
Forum Member
The BBC announced last year that they were to film a new version of the Famous Five in which the original characters reunite as adults to solve a mystery in a contemporary setting.

I havent heard any more on this project! Not even info as to its casting.

Anybody have further info? Im really looking forward to this, but I doubt we'll see it until at least autumn / winter 2009 as there's nothing in the BBC Press Room for this season.

Comments

• Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make it the third version if I'm correct?

I wonder if they'll ever consider making a new series based on The Secret Seven!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I wonder if they'll ever consider making a new series based on The Secret Seven!

Yep! it would be the third.

The first was the 1978 production by Southern productions for ITV and had 26 episodes. This is the one I enjoyed watching as a kid! :)

The second, again for ITV, was produced in 1996 and was a more politically correct version with Aunt fanny being renamed Aunt frances!

There's also the new Disney animated series 5 on the Case which is set in modern times and has the kids of the original characters - but I dont like to associate this with the FF :)

I was never aware there was a TV series made on the Secret Seven though!

I do know they did make a TV series about Blyton's Mystery and Adventure series -The castle of Adventure, etc.

Also, they never made a TV series out of teh Five Find outers did they?? Their books were usually The Mystery of Series
  • Options
    ProVistaProVista Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love the series of books called "The Sea, Island, Castle etc. of Adventure". Seem to recall I had a crush on the boy with the parrot!!
  • Options
    5340robert5340robert Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birmingham 6 anyone lol nah just kidding
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

Oh God no - they were so boring. Can't even remember their names... was there a Janet??

They were always in that shed of theirs, and whenever something remotely exciting happened the two oldest boys would go and sort it out while the girls stayed at home.

Famous Five were far better - great characters, different location in each book etc.
  • Options
    Claire_albaClaire_alba Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call me sad but....

Peter Colin Jack George Barbara Pam and Janet

:o
  • Options
    orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call me sad but....

and scamper the dog
  • Options
    Forum Member
    call me sad but....

That's it! Colin :D
    I mean, you can't have a person called 'Colin' having an adventure!

Even the Five Find-outers were better than the Secret Seven... and before someone asks, they were Larry, Daisy, Pip, Bets and Fatty. Though their full-names were Laurence Daykin, Margaret Daykin, Philip Hilton, Elizabeth Hilton and Frederick Troteville (:D).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    That's it! Colin :D
    I mean, you can't have a person called 'Colin' having an adventure!

Even the Five Find-outers were better than the Secret Seven... and before someone asks, they were Larry, Daisy, Pip, Bets and Fatty. Though their full-names were Laurence Daykin, Margaret Daykin, Philip Hilton, Elizabeth Hilton and Frederick Troteville (:D).

you forgot Buster
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you forgot Buster

Ah yes, Buster, the mighty, ferocious.... er scottie dog! :D

All the crims were terrified of him, even though they could easily have killed him by treading on him!

Timmy was the best - big mongrel with big teeth :)
  • Options
    bentlollipopbentlollipop Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    Yep! it would be the third.

The first was the 1978 production by Southern productions for ITV and had 26 episodes. This is the one I enjoyed watching as a kid! :)

The second, again for ITV, was produced in 1996 and was a more politically correct version with Aunt fanny being renamed Aunt frances!

There's also the new Disney animated series 5 on the Case which is set in modern times and has the kids of the original characters - but I dont like to associate this with the FF :)

I was never aware there was a TV series made on the Secret Seven though!

I do know they did make a TV series about Blyton's Mystery and Adventure series -The castle of Adventure, etc.

Also, they never made a TV series out of teh Five Find outers did they?? Their books were usually The Mystery of Series

The first series of The Famous Five was available on VHS.

I have all but a couple of episodes.

Sadly - the girl who played George committed suicide in 2000.

The 1996 series was more faithful to the books and I have them on a dvd boxset from Spain.

I believe there is also a Dutch boxset .

Not sure why there was only ever 1 UK dvd of that show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, Buster, the mighty, ferocious.... er scottie dog! :D

All the crims were terrified of him, even though they could easily have killed him by treading on him!

Timmy was the best - big mongrel with big teeth :)

Timmy was my favourite too. Never quite saw the point of buster and scamper (a cocker spaniel IIRC).
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always a Secret Seven person through and through! :D:D

But I will give this a chance. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember I watched the original 1978 F5 on Gibraltar television. A little while later it got repeated on Spain's TVE1 on Mondays at 630pm! I remember the children wore those black anoraks with white stripes on their sleeves. I was so obsessed with the Five when I was a kid! My mum managed to find a similar enough anorak at BHS and I remember wearing it with pride LOL :o:o:eek::cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC should go back to investing in GOOD Quality Children's TV and re-make these fantastic stories! I read and re-read them as a kid and am so happy that I did! The BBc should slowly start re-making the different Blyton stories!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was an avid reader of a lot of Blyton's series (the school series', the magic far away tree, the wishing chair et al) but i have never seen a tv series of the famous five. Not sure it could live up to my imagination.

Icecream sandwiches and lashings of ginger pop! How simply marvellous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ProVista wrote: »
    I used to love the series of books called "The Sea, Island, Castle etc. of Adventure". Seem to recall I had a crush on the boy with the parrot!!

That would be Jack :) (I think) i liked mike:)
    I loved those books! Still read them from time to time.
  • Options
    bobmeadesbobmeades Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webbswoman wrote: »
    That would be Jack :) (I think) i liked mike:)
    I loved those books! Still read them from time to time.

Don't forget KIKI the Parrot!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also used to like the ones with Philip. Can't remember which ones they were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was an avid reader of a lot of Blyton's series (the school series', the magic far away tree, the wishing chair et al) but i have never seen a tv series of the famous five. Not sure it could live up to my imagination.

I saw the 1970s version on VHS when I was a kid in the 1990s. It was cheap and ghastly :(

I'm glad I didn't watch more than a few eps though, because that way I have kept the Five, Kirrin Cottage etc in my minds-eye as I imagined them.

Once you see a film or TV adaptation it's difficult to go back to imagining your original interpretation of appearances and locations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which ones had characters called Bessie and Jo??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Which ones had characters called Bessie and Jo??

Was that not the faraway tree? The original characters were called Jo, Bessie and Fanny.

These have now been changed to Joe, Beth and Frannie

My favourites were Mallory Towers, St Clares and The Famous Five.:)