NFL 2012-13 thread

Comments

• TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would prefer ESPN myself as well, ESPN coverage is far more professional.
    I wish Sky or whoever gets the majority of games would use Mike Carlson.
    IMO he is in a different class to anybody Sky have got,
    Sky must know he is very popular but never have him on the show, mystery.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Would prefer ESPN myself as well, ESPN coverage is far more professional.
    I wish Sky or whoever gets the majority of games would use Mike Carlson.
    IMO he is in a different class to anybody Sky have got,
    Sky must know he is very popular but never have him on the show, mystery.

Nick Halling was sorely missed on Skys coverage last season too.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Nick Halling was sorely missed on Skys coverage last season too.

I hardly watched any of the Sky studio stuff last year because it was just unbearable. I flicked over to RedZone at every opportunity. Mind you Sky's choice of games was also petty awful last year as well so many weeks I was just camped out on RZ for the whole game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    I hardly watched any of the Sky studio stuff last year because it was just unbearable. I flicked over to RedZone at every opportunity. Mind you Sky's choice of games was also petty awful last year as well so many weeks I was just camped out on RZ for the whole game.
    Is there any reason why Sky keep going to the studio panel between plays.
    Would it cost far more to just keep to the american feed like ESPN games shown here.would prefer this far more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The American feed has more adverts, when we're seeing the Sky studio bods the Yanks are seeing an extra advert break. Due to OFCOM regulations UK TV can't show that many advertising minutes per hour so they have to fill in the gaps themselves. They probably also like to have a UK studio because it helps attract the 'newbie' fans to the sport more than having a straight US broadcast would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The American feed has more adverts, when we're seeing the Sky studio bods the Yanks are seeing an extra advert break. Due to OFCOM regulations UK TV can't show that many advertising minutes per hour so they have to fill in the gaps themselves. They probably also like to have a UK studio because it helps attract the 'newbie' fans to the sport more than having a straight US broadcast would.
    Yeah i know what you mean but watching ESPN between plays they have Troy Aikman etc,analysing,
    NFL on Sky seems to switch back and forth as if by choice.
    ESPN games seem to run fine without the need for a panel to keep going on about an email from someone who will have to do the dishes for the rest of the week if the Colts get beat tonight.:D
    Yes ,Catering for people new to the game is fine, great idea for the red button to explain the game. maybe it boils down to who's on the panel. I've no problem with C5 and Mike Carlson , reminds me of John Madden, comes out with little remarks and points that help you to appreciate the game even more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i know what you mean but watching ESPN between plays they have Troy Aikman etc,analysing,
    NFL on Sky seems to switch back and forth as if by choice.
    ESPN games seem to run fine without the need for a panel to keep going on about an email from someone who will have to do the dishes for the rest of the week if the Colts get beat tonight.:D
    Yes ,Catering for people new to the game is fine, great idea for the red button to explain the game. maybe it boils down to who's on the panel. I've no problem with C5 and Mike Carlson , reminds me of John Madden, comes out with little remarks and points that help you to appreciate the game even more

We get the Aikman etc. analysis when it's available, the cutbacks to the UK studio is simply because of the US ad breaks, same as the C4 coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    We get the Aikman etc. analysis when it's available, the cutbacks to the UK studio is simply because of the US ad breaks, same as the C4 coverage.
    Well Yes that's what i mean on ESPN we get Aikaman.
    to get that the feed has to stay with the USA, on Sky they don't stay with the USA coverage till maybe the 4th quater as far as i remember, i realise the USA have breaks, dosent seem to be a problem on ESPN late games over here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Yes that's what i mean on ESPN we get Aikaman.
    to get that the feed has to stay with the USA, on Sky they don't stay with the USA coverage till maybe the 4th quater as far as i remember, i realise the USA have breaks, dosent seem to be a problem on ESPN late games over here.

I'm trying to remember if on ESPN there were a lot more smaller ad breaks during MNF last season?

Who knows/cares? :)
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's true, Sky missed some massive games last year and I too camped out on Redzone many weekends.
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    That's true, Sky missed some massive games last year and I too camped out on Redzone many weekends.

Redzone is fantastic, definitely the place to be if the Patriots are not the main game.
  • EyeQuotientEyeQuotient Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think SKY first brought RedZone in on the front end of the coverage which I couldn't help but think was an error. I initially resented the fact they seemed to be taking away the chance to see the live game in full.

However now its on the red button, its great. I sometimes feel like I've watched five or six games!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedZone as the main coverage was a disaster and to be fair to Sky they realised this and listened to the backlash. It was originally supposed to be on for, I think, the last 3 weeks of the season but they pulled it after the first showing. It didn't work as the main showing because people still want a full game and crucially because it meant they had to crowbar adverts into it when it's advert free in the States.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, exactly my recollection.

My tendency watching these days is to concentrate on the main game but generally if its proving one sided with little likely to change I will switch over.

There are always the Sunday and Monday night games too if we are to assume the various TV channels maintain coverage. These are better now too as they are finalised as the season progresses as opposed to being known right from the off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-season starts tonight boys and girls, Cardinals @ Saints. Anyone watching on Gamepass?
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedZone as the main coverage was a disaster and to be fair to Sky they realised this and listened to the backlash. It was originally supposed to be on for, I think, the last 3 weeks of the season but they pulled it after the first showing. It didn't work as the main showing because people still want a full game and crucially because it meant they had to crowbar adverts into it when it's advert free in the States.

And Nick Halling didn't do too good a job of hiding that he didn't like it, he even sent me a pm of the NFLUK forum to say I was right when I suggested that he hated it and was mocking how great it was on air.

Next thing you know Nick Halling is almost airbrushed out NFL in the UK. So I wonder if there was a falling out behind the scenes as he no longer writes for NFLUK whose idea was to show redzone and even though he still works for Sky sports boxing he is not involved with the fantasy game yet Vernon Kay was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never thought of that. I know Halling had his detractors but even they would have to admit the SKY coverage of the NFL is nowhere near the same without him.

Neil Reynolds has improved as time has moved on but he does not remotely have the charisma of Halling. It is a continual mystery as to why they have never took Mike Carlson's services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone catch the first pre-season game last night? I disgustingly fell asleep in the second quarter, will catch up with it later today. Looks promising for the Saints though.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has there been an update from Sky regarding them broadcasting games?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    has there been an update from Sky regarding them broadcasting games?
    Been doing a search everyday,ive heard nothing, just over 2 weeks away now, getting a bit close,you would think it would have been sorted by now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still the same as every other NFL UK TV negotiation of recent years. It seems like Sky are happy to leave it as late as possible because then they have an excuse not to show any NFL content in the off season. Sky only want to show the games not any other content while NFLUK don't want to give the coverage to ESPN (who would show us content all year round and magazine shows every day) because they see the platform given to them by Sky's millions of subscribers as essential to growing the game. So NFLUK have to wait for Sky to be ready to sign up just before the start of a new season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Just watched last night's Steelers game. I thought it was a great one, and Antonio Brown was fantastic as always.

I've missed (proper ;)) football so much!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the NFL are about to announce that the Jaguars are going to play multiple games in London over the next few years (replacing the Rams who pulled out of a similar multi year deal). Have to say I can't think of a worse team to bring over here year after year. The Jags have zero star power (even MJD will be a declining force by the time these games kick in). Seriously underwhelmed by this news.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/Jacksonville-Jaguars-to-play-in-London/s6Y-6FQ1kESOKNQMjd1rOw.cspx
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    Well our friends watching ESPN America in Europe have this on opening week:-

Wed 5 Sep
    12.00 NFL Kickoff
    12.30 NFL Live
    1.30 Dallas at NY Giants

Sun 9 Sep
    2.30 NFL Matchup
    3.00 Sunday NFL Countdown
    6.00 Washington at New Orleans
    9.15 San Francisco at Green Bay
    12.30 NFL Films
    1.00 Pittsburgh at Denver

ESPN America UK doesn't even have Sunday NFL Countdown in its schedule as things stand !
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the NFL are about to announce that the Jaguars are going to play multiple games in London over the next few years (replacing the Rams who pulled out of a similar multi year deal). Have to say I can't think of a worse team to bring over here year after year. The Jags have zero star power (even MJD will be a declining force by the time these games kick in). Seriously underwhelmed by this news.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/Jacksonville-Jaguars-to-play-in-London/s6Y-6FQ1kESOKNQMjd1rOw.cspx

Agree... vexingly they have just enough of a defence and Blaine Gabbart will probably play just well enough for them to not get a top pick and get something going... not surprising given such a strong College Town, they struggle to fill the stadium. At least them being in the AFC south means we may end up seeing the Colts or Texans... no doubt it'll be the Titans :rolleyes: