Forum Member
    BBC Radio Manchester presented by Jimmy Wagg

Manchester United v Norwich City - Bill Rice - reports
    Wigan Athletic v Liverpool - Ian Cheeseman and ? - 5.30 commentary
    Barnsley v Bolton Wanderers - Jack Dearden and Phil Brown - 3.0 commentary
    Bury v Crawley Town - Nathan Middleton - reports
    Oldham Athletic v Sheffield United - John Gilder - reports
    Morecambe v Rochdale - Phil Kinsella - reports
    It would normally be Paul Rowley covering Wigan.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slightly o/t so apologies but have TS given up with their premiership rugby coverage? this would have seemed a good day with no football commentary to carry rugby as they did at some points earlier on in the season. I only ask as they had a few online commentaries and I believe one commentary on mw/dab during an international weekend earlier in the season but I haven't heard of anything since. have I missed something?

Good point. I am not sure if talkSPORT has "given up" on live Premiership rugby union commentaries; I would expect them to do commentaries on the end-of-season play-offs as they did last year, but perhaps their experiments into doing regular season commentaries in the autumn proved unsuccessful. I don't think their online commentary stream worked during the Twickenham double header at the start of the season and the game you mention during the autumn international football break seemed ill-fitting to their Saturday AM/DAB schedule with Matchday Live needing to be curtailed at half-time in the 3pm Football League fixtures.

However, today's Saracens v London Welsh game would have been a really good fit in my opinion given the blank lunchtime football programme, what with it being the opening of Saracens' new stadium (which is sold out today) and with Welsh being in the news due to their potential points deduction over fielding an illegible player. They could have got John Taylor involved given his role at Welsh and it won't have hurt that the match is taking place on their doorstep. It's a shame that neither they nor Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (which has a gap in its schedule between indoor athletics championship commentaries while the match is taking place) have decided to do commentary on it.

On a general note, I find that talkSPORT has a really empty feel on Sunday afternoons when there are no live football commentaries. I believe it's the first time this calendar year that they've not either had either a Premier League or an FA Cup commentary in the 12noon/1.30pm timeslot, so clearly it doesn't happen very often. The last time they could have decided to do a round table football discussion show was on FA Cup Second Round Sunday when they opted instead to cover the MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon cup tie. I think the last time Sunday Exclusive actually was a round table show was during that international weekend you mention, on that occasion I seem to remember it being debated on here how they could have done a Premiership rugby union commentary instead.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    up for grabs? United aren't going to let this lead slip. the religation fight is far more interesting IMO.

But nothing is going to be decided on 2nd March. Southampton vs QPR was as important in the relegation fight (with ten points separating the teams at the start) as Man U vs Norwich was in the title race. There are plenty of opportunities to cover the relegation battle between now and the end of the season.
    with Welsh being in the news due to their potential points deduction over fielding an illegible player.

Welsh can be a complicated language, I know.
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,569
    Forum Member
    BBC Three Counties Radio
    R/U: Saracens v London Welsh Jason Harris and Rupert ? (AM commentary)

BBC London
    Tottenham v Arsenal Nick Godwin and Bradley Allen (commentary) with Jamie Hill and David Friend
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Green, Mike Ingham and Graham Taylor on 5Live

That's off Twitter. Not sure if anyone has been at the Scottish games today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Alan Green, Mike Ingham and Graham Taylor on 5Live

That's off Twitter. Not sure if anyone has been at the Scottish games today?
    Dundee v Dundee United Ian Turner
    Kilmarnock v Hibernian Roddy Forsyth
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 3/3/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound on 810MW, with the last two Scottish Cup quarter-finals.

Dundee v Dundee Utd (12.45) - Paul Mitchell*, Billy Dodds and Willie Miller (commentary) with Jim Spence pitchside
    Kilmarnock v Hibernian - John Barnes, Pat Bonner and Ian Murray (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside

*Relying on 2nd-hand info for that. If Mitchell turns up on the TV highlights later, it'll have been Scott Davie.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    up for grabs? United aren't going to let this lead slip. the religation fight is far more interesting IMO.

Oh of course they'll win it. But until they have I think the title 'race' should get the priority.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5Live will have Spurs vs Inter Milan on Thursday. Whether it's just because it's Bale playing, high profile opposistion or whether 5Live will cover teams in the EL from now until they are knocked out is to be seen
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    BBC Radio Scotland, 3/3/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound on 810MW, with the last two Scottish Cup quarter-finals.

Dundee v Dundee Utd (12.45) - Paul Mitchell*, Billy Dodds and Willie Miller (commentary) with Jim Spence pitchside
    Kilmarnock v Hibernian - John Barnes, Pat Bonner and Ian Murray (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside

*Relying on 2nd-hand info for that. If Mitchell turns up on the TV highlights later, it'll have been Scott Davie.
    And as sods law dictates, Paul Mitchell did indeed do the TV highlights so it was Scott Davie at the Dundee derby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 3rd March - Newstalk 106-108FM

Ger Gilroy presented Newstalk Sport Sunday alongside Joe Molloy

Premier League
    Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal - Dave McIntyre and Steven Reid (4pm commentary)
    Welsh can be a complicated language, I know.

Well spotted, that'll teach me to run a message through spellcheck without properly checking the suggested corrections first!

To add to Ian Fergus' BBC London details from yesterday, they had Russell Hargreaves reporting on Saracens v London Welsh too. I listened to Russell's half-time report on talkSPORT before flicking over to BBC London when they went to commercials, where I was to hear him chatting to Nick Godwin and doing pretty much the same half-time update from them!

Regarding the Europa League, talkSPORT don't have any commentaries pencilled in for this Thursday but will be covering the Round of 16 second leg game between Chelsea and Steaua Bucharest at Stamford Bridge next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This just in via Facebook.

Newstalk 106-108 fm

Newstalk has confirmed that Eoin McDevitt, Simon Hick, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy and Mark Horgan have resigned from its sports department.

Ger Gilroy, Newstalk Sports Editor, who devised Off the Ball in 2002, will be joined by mainstays of the Newstalk sports team - Cian Murtagh, David McIntyre and Joe Molloy - in taking over the running of the show, starting tonight.

Newstalk would like to thank Eoin, Simon, Ken, Ciaran and Mark for their contributions to the station and wish them luck in their future endeavours.

• Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Monday 4th March

BBC WM

Premier League
    Rob Gurney and Peter Withe: Villa v Man City

BBC WM Sport is presented by Mark Regan at Villa Park
  • Options
    Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monday 4th March 2013 - Free Radio 80s (1800-2230)

Tom Ross Presenting The Sportsbar with Ian Taylor, followed by The Goalzone from Villa Park.

Premiership
    Aston Villa v Man City - Tom Ross & Ian Taylor - 1152AM & DAB in Birmingham

No Pat Heard tonight
  • Options
    Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monday 4th March 2013 - Free Radio 80s (1800-2230)

Tom Ross Presenting The Sportsbar with Ian Taylor, followed by The Goalzone from Villa Park.

Premiership
    Aston Villa v Man City - Tom Ross & Ian Taylor - 1152AM & DAB in Birmingham

No Pat Heard tonight

Correction to that.

Its Tom Ross and Pat Heard commentating, not Ian Taylor, but he is at the game
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 4th March - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Monday Night Feist Night alongside Stan Collymore

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester City - Ian Danter

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester City - Tom Rennie and Alan McLoughlin

Over on BBC WM, Peter Withe was co-hosting The Football Phone-In with Paul Franks at The Mailbox from 6pm before high-tailing it over to Villa Park in the hour before kick off.

Surprised by the Newstalk Off The Ball news - good luck to the outgoing team wherever they end up. I see the story is now being carried by most of Ireland's national newspapers and news websites. It will be interesting to see what the next Irish Premier League radio rights deal holds for Newstalk. With the Sports Saturday/Sunday trio now working on Off The Ball five nights a week, could their live Premier League coverage on Sunday afternoons now call upon some of Today FM's commentators seeing as both stations are owned by Communicorp? Clearly they will need a replacement for Ken Early at least.
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 4.3.13

With Mark Chapman at Villa Park

Aston Villa v Man City - Ian Dennis, Robbie Savage + Conor McNamara

Reading v Aston Villa will be the 3pm commentary on Saturday.
  • Options
    rufusericrufuseric Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monday 4th March - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Monday Night Feist Night alongside Stan Collymore

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester City - Ian Danter

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Aston Villa v Manchester City - Tom Rennie and Alan McLoughlin

Over on BBC WM, Peter Withe was co-hosting The Football Phone-In with Paul Franks at The Mailbox from 6pm before high-tailing it over to Villa Park in the hour before kick off.

Surprised by the Newstalk Off The Ball news - good luck to the outgoing team wherever they end up. I see the story is now being carried by most of Ireland's national newspapers and news websites. It will be interesting to see what the next Irish Premier League radio rights deal holds for Newstalk. With the Sports Saturday/Sunday trio now working on Off The Ball five nights a week, could their live Premier League coverage on Sunday afternoons now call upon some of Today FM's commentators seeing as both stations are owned by Communicorp? Clearly they will need a replacement for Ken Early at least.

My understanding is that competition law prevents Today FM and Newstalk sharing sports presenters and reporters.

It's a major blow for Newstalk and very bad news for sports fans in Ireland.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester - Monday 4th March

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Ian Cheeseman and Fred Eyre - commentary
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    talkSPORT

Presented by Mark Saggers

Champions League - Last 16 Second Leg
    Manchester United v Real Madrid - Nigel Adderley and Alvin Martin

Championship
    Bristol City v Brighton - Dave Rowe
    Cardiff v Derby - Roger Hughes
    Crystal Palace v Hull - Tony Incenzo
    Leicester v Leeds - Geoff Peters
    Watford v Sheffield Wednesday - Ian Abrahams
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 5th March

BBC WM

Championship
    Mike Taylor and Mark Regan: Millwall v Wolves (Live on 95.6 FM)
    Richard Wilford: Blues v Blackpool (Live on DAB in Birmingham)
  • Options
    jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are talkSPORT actually doing full commentary on the match tonight? Its not listed on their website, and if they are it must be off tube as Five Live are claiming to be the only British radio broadcaster doing live commentary from the stadium.
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TS will be doing extended reports with Nigel and Alvin I'd guess-- it is fairly standard for them to send a reporter/summeriser to big games they don't have commentary access to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jimmylad wrote: »
    Are talkSPORT actually doing full commentary on the match tonight? Its not listed on their website, and if they are it must be off tube as Five Live are claiming to be the only British radio broadcaster doing live commentary from the stadium.
    Actually, it's Five Live and BBC Rsdio Manchester claiming to be the commentators inside Old Trafford tonight. Mike Ingham and Alan Green commentating on BBC Radio Five Live with Bill Rice and Arthur Albiston commentating on BBC Radio Manchester.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 5th March

BBC WM

Championship
    Mike Taylor and Mark Regan: Millwall v Wolves (Live on 95.6 FM)
    Richard Wilford and Adrian Goldbreg: Blues v Blackpool (Live on DAB in Birmingham)