Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXXV (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    How does WWE get so much leeway when Hollywood and the television industry probably doesn't?
    Because the rest of the entertainment industry has unions holding them to account.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I wasn't wrong yesterday when i said wrestling was trash tv. Low brow entertainment which is looked down by people in Hollywood and TV.
  • Options
    Raj_91Raj_91 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, just skimmed through the interview recap, thanks for the links all :)

Can't believe WWE were ignoring CM Punk even though he was having all of these issues. This and the Alberto Del Rio incident/racist comments backstage from higher ups makes me disappointed/disgusted with WWE.

I remember times when I'd watch interviews with Punk and he'd mention from time to time on how he's feeling like crap. I'm glad he's doing well now and he seems to happy and enjoying life. I will definitely have a listen sometime this week.

By the way what did Punk say about Y2J? IIRC Y2J mentioned that how he used to text Punk and he'd reply back but since Punk left he doesn't reply back lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Hands up who thinks AJ will get buried on Raw....maybe her last appearance?

If she's appearing next week, then she likely has at least another year on her contract. I think the speculation about her impending absence is likely only that, if her contract wasn't up they'll keep her until after Mania and release her then or wait until her contract is up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Punk just mentioned the only reason people want him to talk to them is so they can talk about it on their podcasts and get ratings and be the first ones to mention how they talked to him and talk about why he left.

And he was right about Jericho, Jericho has a big mouth and Punk was right to ignore his calls and txts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    yup, its a shame that "fans" are so quick to hate on those superstars that go out there to perform for them.

Aren't you in favour of the reversion of the content to be more brutal, though? I don't think anyone is ungrateful for the effort the performers put in, if anything I find guys like FMKK, AlexiR, Lee_Smith2 and myself argue performers need to be booked better, protected sensibly if they are going to do big bumps, do them sensibly and safely, there doesn't need to be 4 ring dives per match.

If Punk was working for months with broken ribs, damaged knee tendons, a rolled ankle and a staph infection and the doctor's still cleared him, that's absolutely insane. It was a good listen and he does sound as though he's at peace with closing that chapter of his life and at least he was smart enough to get out rather than fanboy himself into an early grave or a wheelchair like Dynamite Kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'm waiting for Raw next week to see if anyone manages to get a 'Steroid Guy' chant going for Ryback.
    FMKK wrote: »
    Also, I don't see how fans can be part of a solution in terms of contracts because if fans leave then WWE will cut further corners financially.
    Fans have to be much more engaged with these issues and much more instant that changes are made or we have to stop the useless go nowhere hand-wringing that we do surrounding these issues.
    hazydayz wrote: »
    I wasn't wrong yesterday when i said wrestling was trash tv. Low brow entertainment which is looked down by people in Hollywood and TV.
    I don't remember you saying that at all.
    Raj_91 wrote: »
    Can't believe WWE were ignoring CM Punk even though he was having all of these issues...
    They weren't ignoring it. As Punk himself said he didn't tell them about the problems he was having until the day he walked out. Now we can certainly say that WWE should have been aware of these issues before then, via the Wellness Policy, but if Punk was doing the typical wrestler thing of 'toughing it out' then there's not a whole lot they could do. Of course this then brings up the whole issue of why they tough it out rather than admit they're having issues and then we're drawn back to their contracts and how they're paid.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Great punk podcast. Sadly, this another example of how messed up WWE is and has been under Vince's leadership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Personally I'm waiting for Raw next week to see if anyone manages to get a 'Steroid Guy' chant going for Ryback.

Fans have to be much more engaged with these issues and much more instant that changes are made or we have to stop the useless go nowhere hand-wringing that we do surrounding these issues.

They weren't ignoring it. As Punk himself said he didn't tell them about the problems he was having until the day he walked out. Now we can certainly say that WWE should have been aware of these issues before then, via the Wellness Policy, but if Punk was doing the typical wrestler thing of 'toughing it out' then there's not a whole lot they could do. Of course this then brings up the whole issue of why they tough it out rather than admit they're having issues and then we're drawn back to their contracts and how they're paid.

He was told to take 4 to 6 weeks off, Vince told him to be back in 3. He wanted his infection lanced, for almost 4 months the doctor at the tapings wouldn't lance it and the anti-biotics he was prescribed didn't work.

He toughed it out as champ but then when he needed time he wasn't given the proper amount off to recover and he ended up with a mess of injuries from not taking care of other injuries first properly, but then flipside is being of TV leads to your merch sales tanking and being poorly booked for not wanting to be involved ASAP like a fanboy fearing for job security.

I think he made some fair points even though he was treated fairly favourably. His reasons seemed sound enough and it seems as though he is happy to move on to writing comics and wants to start a family with AJ.
  • Options
    AgeOfTheGeekAgeOfTheGeek Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listened to the podcast. Fascinating stuff.

Obviously there were the odd occasions he sounded a little bitter but that's to be expected.
    I'm just glad there is finally some closure on the situation. Keen to hear next weeks episode with the Q&A.

Also quite interested to hear what Vince will have to say on Stone Cold's podcast ths weekend
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

They were booking him on PPV's and advertising him for Raw weeks in advance when they knew he was injured and not scheduled to be back by the dates they had decided he would be
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    One thing I don't understand him saying is about the fans tweeting him that he can't change anything sitting home but he believes he can and did. I just hope he realises that fans are using a direct quote from Punk himself when they tweet that to him.

Ultimately the most important thing is he is happy in his life and with AJ, he said he got exactly what he wanted from WWE and more when he left and he's made for life.

Do I agree with the way it was handled, no but I do hope at some point in the future they work something out because he deserves a HOF induction IMO and I think we all know "never say never" is a useful phrase when aimed at WWE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing I don't understand him saying is about the fans tweeting him that he can't change anything sitting home but he believes he can and did. I just hope he realises that fans are using a direct quote from Punk himself when they tweet that to him.

Ultimately the most important thing is he is happy in his life and with AJ, he said he got exactly what he wanted from WWE and more when he left and he's made for life.

Do I agree with the way it was handled, no but I do hope at some point in the future they work something out because he deserves a HOF induction IMO and I think we all know "never say never" is a useful phrase when aimed at WWE.

I think he realises that, He tried to change it from within but they didn't want him being the one to change it. By him leaving and admittedly other things going on they had to make changes....So he probably knows that more happened after he left (Daniel Bryan, The shield etc) and sort of credits himself with that rightly or wrongly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was told to take 4 to 6 weeks off, Vince told him to be back in 3. He wanted his infection lanced, for almost 4 months the doctor at the tapings wouldn't lance it and the anti-biotics he was prescribed didn't work...
    None of which changes that Punk wasn't being honest and open about the severity of his injuries and issues. He himself said as much. He opted to try and tough it out rather than admit that he needed the time off because he was in bad shape. Now there are any number of justifiable reasons why he (and many others) would opt to do that but ultimately it seems somewhat skewed to suggest widespread WWE incompetence when these guys are deliberately hiding how banged up they are or just not telling anyone about it.
    They were booking him on PPV's and advertising him for Raw weeks in advance when they knew he was injured and not scheduled to be back by the dates they had decided he would be
    Which is far from uncommon and not a sign that he was being forced back against his will. WWE has a horrible track record of just not updating these things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    None of which changes that Punk wasn't being honest and open about the severity of his injuries and issues. He himself said as much. He opted to try and tough it out rather than admit that he needed the time off because he was in bad shape. Now there are any number of justifiable reasons why he (and many others) would opt to do that but ultimately it seems somewhat skewed to suggest widespread WWE incompetence when these guys are deliberately hiding how banged up they are or just not telling anyone about it.

Which is far from uncommon and not a sign that he was being forced back against his will. WWE has a horrible track record of just not updating these things.

They told him he had to come back for the chicago PPV that is different to not updating it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Punk just mentioned the only reason people want him to talk to them is so they can talk about it on their podcasts and get ratings and be the first ones to mention how they talked to him and talk about why he left.

And he was right about Jericho, Jericho has a big mouth and Punk was right to ignore his calls and txts.

Thanks for this, was wondering what he said.
    Just listened to the podcast. Fascinating stuff.

Obviously there were the odd occasions he sounded a little bitter but that's to be expected.
    I'm just glad there is finally some closure on the situation. Keen to hear next weeks episode with the Q&A.

Also quite interested to hear what Vince will have to say on Stone Cold's podcast ths weekend

This is going to be good. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he realises that, He tried to change it from within but they didn't want him being the one to change it. By him leaving and admittedly other things going on they had to make changes....So he probably knows that more happened after he left (Daniel Bryan, The shield etc) and sort of credits himself with that rightly or wrongly

I'm not making any judgement on Punk and what he credits himself with. That's between him and his mind and if he wants to do that, that's for him to decide.

Was just saying I don't think all fans are tweeting that to him for no reason, they are just using his own words.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They told him he had to come back for the chicago PPV that is different to not updating it
    To which his response was to do it not say "No, I'm not doing that I need more time off because my body is a mess"

At some point personal responsibility has to kick in on this issue. Of course WWE wanted one of their big stars back for a Pay-Per-View in his home state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raj_91 wrote: »
    This is going to be good. :D

Wouldn't be surprised if it was scripted or certain question would be 'off limits' sadly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am giving it a second listen... I do feel one day if he's interested he could be a great creative guy because he, like most of us on here, asks logical questions and defies the idiocy as best he can while trying to cope with the situation. I do think he sounds healthy, happy and refocused on new projects. I found him slipping into people's accents reminiscent of a friend of mine who does comedy, he was quite frank but he was swearing every other word towards the end of the podcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was scripted or certain question would be 'off limits' sadly

True! It's live on the network right, straight after Raw? It's always rad when Austin and Vince interact. I want Austin to give Vince a stunner at the end, just for old times sake. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, he could be a great creative guy in the future if he that's the route he wanted to go. He is for some reason a very intriguing person to for me, I don't even know why, but just hearing him speak is captivating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When Vince is saying "I hear it'll take 4-6 weeks, I've booked you for a TLC match in three weeks with Ryback, do it, I'll owe you one" when he already owes you two favours... I think Punk tried to be a company guy but realised it was not paying dividends anymore, and then dividends looked to be diminishing once the network kicked in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Punk knows the WWE is going to Triple H once Vince dies or retires hence him saying he will never go back. To sit and look Triple H in the face and tell him you resent him for not putting you over and you don't want to wrestle him at Wrestlemania and calling the Undertaker a 45 year old man takes massive balls lol.

I don't blame him though. The company is a complete joke and it's hilarious watching the Network fail, their TV product straight out of 1994 to the racist backstage talk to steroid using despite wellness testing to Vince crying at the very end. It's highly entertaining. You couldn't make it up could you. I'm just happy he is doing great financially and health wise and got every penny he could out of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone actually send in a question for next week?

Also I heard them say Punk was opening his own pro wrestling tees shop, do you reckon he'd be selling the same merch designs as he had in WWE (seeing as he has naming rights)? I've always been desperate for the twin fists shirt he had back in the day and was finatly hoping he might stock it :D
This discussion has been closed.