Options

Sports personality of the year

Comments

• Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vidic wrote: »
    Brilliant result. Anyone but Lewis winning would have been a travesty.
    Hardly. There are some pretty big achievements in there - olympic gold medals, world championships in other sports... He's a worthy winner but the other nominees have all excelled in their respective sports.

I suspect we'd all be bricking it just as much doing 70MPH on a tea tray as 200 MPH in a car.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mcilroy won his stuff early in the year. Hamilton won his last week. Makes him more memorable, i should think.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    That is shocking. Not only does the guy have the personality of a wet paper bag, but the UK has had plenty of car drivers.

Rory is a potential rival to the best golf players there have ever been!
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wonder whether the spite and negativity would have been the same if it was Jenson who had won his second world championship title and then Sports Personality of the Year.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not really. Just athleticism of a different sort.

Well F1 is mainly mental dexterity and skill, whilst being a jockey requires a large amount of physical strength and stamina : jockeys these days have to spend hours in the gym to stay in shape.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    Hope the people who voted for Hamilton don't mind him being a tax exile.

What does his tax situation have to do with his sporting achievements?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, and Rory actually continually stresses his love for where he comes from unlike mr piss off to Switzerland.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Scherzinger - of Pussycat Doll and X Factor fame :)

That explains why I have never heard of her.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many have abandoned these shores in the past to avoid losing most of their earnings, do we condemn them all? I'm sorry but I too would do the same, it's not like all that tax money is well spent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    There is no denying it anymore, F1 is all about the car. Vettel wins loads in a row with a great car, this year he does bugger all because his car wasn't good enough. Last year Hamilton did nothing, this year he wins the championship because he had the best car.

Another one is Rosberg, he has never looked like winning an F1 champinship. Then all of a sudden he gets a good car and almost wins the championship.

The sport is 90% about the car, 10% about the driver.

Not to mention Button.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    At least Lewis is proud of the union flag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I really wonder whether the spite and negativity would have been the same if it was Jensen who had won his second world championship title.
    Possibly not but I don't think that's a reflection on Lewis TBH. It's more the fact that Jenson's pretty much your ideal case for 'media friendly sportsman'.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    No he hasn't. The BBC made a point of saying that he was flying from LA especially, and would be leaving straight afterwards. They were getting all stressed because his plane was late, and hadn't arrived by the time they were doing the red carpet stuff.

The guy at the Autosport awards and in Germany for the Mercedes team celebrations must have been a body double then. Either that or he nipped over to the US for the weekend and came back for the awards. He can't do right with some in here. I wonder why.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    No he hasn't. The BBC made a point of saying that he was flying from LA especially, and would be leaving straight afterwards. They were getting all stressed because his plane was late, and hadn't arrived by the time they were doing the red carpet stuff.

That explains why he didn't have time to pop down to Moss Bross to hire a proper suit.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I really wonder whether the spite and negativity would have been the same if it was Jensen who had won his second world championship title.

I'm not a fan of Motorsport, so my bias against Hamilton winning is I dislike the sport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Many have abandoned these shores in the past to avoid losing most of their earnings, do we condemn them all? I'm sorry but I too would do the same, it's not like all that tax money is well spent.

Yeah, tom finney tried to go to italy, but was stopped by his club.

That was a few years before jimmy hill, and george eastham and johnny haynes, etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and Rory actually continually stresses his love for where he comes from unlike mr piss off to Switzerland.
    Err.. you need to read back in the thread a bit. Neither of them live anywhere near where they come from. Rory is mr 'piss off to Florida'. And Lewis seemed pretty keen to wave the Union Jack when he won the championship.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been in this country and in Germany since he won the title.

He came to Glasgow from LA and is going back tonight according to the BBC tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewis has had a fair few detractors from the moment he made it into F1, and I'm pretty sure that tax wasn't the issue back then, it's just become a handy excuse for those who had issue from the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »

Many? Like practically none of the other nominee's?
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    There is no denying it anymore, F1 is all about the car. Vettel wins loads in a row with a great car, this year he does bugger all because his car wasn't good enough. Last year Hamilton did nothing, this year he wins the championship because he had the best car.

Another one is Rosberg, he has never looked like winning an F1 champinship. Then all of a sudden he gets a good car and almost wins the championship.

The sport is 90% about the car, 10% about the driver.

Um Vettel's team mate won races, so the car can't be that bad. F1 is a team sport but once again your team mate has identical equipment and as the top drivers will tell you, he's the one you have to beat.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats odd I'm almost certain I heard him big up England in his interview tonight and the first thing he did after winning the championship was get a Union flag.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I must lead a sheltered existence as I have no idea who this "Nicole" is. Wasn't she in the Renault Clio adverts?

Yeah. She says she is in her thirties but looks like she is mid to late forties
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Err.. you need to read back in the thread a bit. Neither of them live anywhere near where they come from. Rory is mr 'piss off to Florida'. And Lewis seemed pretty keen to wave the Union Jack when he won the championship.

Of course you won't know this, but Rory is ALWAYS back in Holywood County Down Northern Ireland. It is a matter of public record and living close to Holywood I know for a matter of fact. It is a small place and word gets around when Rory is in town, which is a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many? Like practically none of the other nominee's?

So to avoid the fact that you may actually support some people who have abandoned the country in the past, perhaps musicians, or actors, or other people in sport, we'll just focus on the nominees... sorry, but your sour grapes appear to be a little off-colour.