Options

Christopher Reeve Superman films

2»

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2, superman turns out to be a bit of a bully at the end, doesn't he?

You're probably thinking of Superman III in which he is temporarily turned bad by Kryptonite made with tar.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 and 2 are the only ones to worry about. 3 has a couple of good scenes, was a shame as it had potential but they turned it into a comedy. The donner cut is unwatchable IMO
  • Options
    Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    1 had something magical about it - it got the spirit of the character and the strip just so right. That's why its so far ahead of the others.

2 is great as well, but just comes off as bit too lightweight - probably to do with the director issue. Donner's cut from what I've seen probably would have been better, difficult to tell from what was on the DVD in my opinion - the cut on the DVD is a bit of a hodge-podge.

3 had, from what I recall, had some interesting ideas and kind of worked, but the villains were exceptionally poor. From what I remember - i haven't seen this in years, I just might chase it up!

4 I have seen recently and it is atrocious, truly atrocious. Shite.

So its the first one for me - an absolutely beautiful piece of film-making, to this day.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superman 4 never had a chance, the budget was a lot lower than previous movies with a measly $17 million.

It has been reported that Cannon ran out of money during the production which could explain why it seems half finished in places.

I still feel it could have been a good movie had the Salkind's retained the rights and made the movie.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    You're probably thinking of Superman III in which he is temporarily turned bad by Kryptonite made with tar.

Well he does get 'revenge' on the trucker at the end of part 2 (which makes no sense in the Donner Cut as technically the trucker incident never happened)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    The main problem, imo, is that in the Donner cut, one important scene, is actually part of Chris Reeve's audition tape and if I remember correctly, the ending is just a rehash of the end of Superman 1 !

Only a rehash because originally the first film wasn't to end that way. The turning back time was always meant to be the end for part 2 and part 1 was going to end with the three supervillains being released from their prison when Superman sends one of the missiles out into space. Once production was halted on part 2, that ending was changed and the time reversal was added.

Would have been interesting to see what Donner would have done to end the sequel had he not been fired.
  • Options
    adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think people need to remember number 4 was screwed from the very start when making it. The film was suppose to be over 2 hours the budget was suppose to be over 34 mil. Both was cut in half the film just didn't stand a chance which was really sad.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Well he does get 'revenge' on the trucker at the end of part 2 (which makes no sense in the Donner Cut as technically the trucker incident never happened)

It's a bit unfair of him to get revenge after his superpowers are restored. Not very sporting, old boy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit unfair of him to get revenge after his superpowers are restored. Not very sporting, old boy!

Well. to be fair, he doesn't really 'do' anything other than shove him down the counter. Rather the trucker seals his own fate but yes, not very sporting at all.

Fun, but not at all sporting :D
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    1. Befitting the iconic Williams score, S:TM lays on the Clark Kent/myth-building reverence early on. But then we get Metropolis, Kidder, Beatty, Hackman etc, and the film remembers these things are also meant to be fun. A subtle yet necessary change in tone very skillfully handled by Donner.

2. A worthy follow-up with memorable villains. But a Superhero losing his powers? It was always a clunky old plot device. Still, S2 does its job fine enough.

3. Messy but ambitious, S3 is also the most comic book-like. Pryor is decent value and the good/bad Superman aspect is great stuff. Sadly the villains are weak and the production values waver noticeably. I still have an odd soft spot for it though.

4. Cannon did actually dip their toes in better, classier productions, but generally if they could do it cheaply and crappily they did so. Hence this abortion presumably.