Options

Ratings Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as there is a distinct lack of ratings, I think I should note the alternative Christmas schedule... otherwise known as 'The STV Opt-Outs'. ;) Here's a comparison against the remainder of the country (only primetime opt-outs)

Saturday 19th December - same schedule

Sunday 20th December
    - STV opt-out of 'You've Been Framed and Famous!' at 18:00 to show 'Cuirm @ Celtic - Daimh' along with a TV Burp repeat.

Monday 21st December - same schedule

Tuesday 22nd and 29th December
    - STV opt-out of 'The Bill' at 21:00 to show a repeat of 'In the Line of Fire'.

Wednesday 23rd December
    - STV opt-out of 'Harry Hill's The Best of TV Burp' at 19:30 to show 'Fashion Hijack Christmas Special'.

Christmas Eve - same schedule

Christmas Day - same schedule

Boxing Day - same schedule

Sunday 27th December - same schedule

Monday 28th December
    - STV opt-out of 'An Englishman in New York' at 21:00 to show 'The Search for Sherlock Holmes' and 'Moviejuice Special'.

Wednesday 30th December - same schedule

New Year's Eve
    - Probably simplier if I do it like this:

ITV
    21:00 - Sleep with Me
    22:35 - Ad of the Decade
    23:05 to 00:05 - ITV News

STV
    21:00 - The Making of The Greatest Scot
    22:15 - The Scots Factor :eek:
    23:00 to 00:05 - Scotland's Always Had Talent :eek:

New Year's Day -same schedule

Quite a few opt-outs for STV over the festive season. Slightly surprised STV aren't opting out of Marple and Poirot to be honest.

On that note, I don't think anyone noted that Emmerdale isn't on @ 19:00 on Christmas Eve (Thursday) - its only on the once @ 20:00 - that's because of 'Corpse Bride' from 18:00 to 19:30. By my reckoning then, neither Emmerdale or Coronation Street actually have extra episodes over the festive season.

There's also, on ITV1 (and STV) a repeat of 'Dancing on Ice: The Story of Bolero with Torvill and Dean' on Sunday 27th December @ 18:00.

And finally, 'Funniest Ever You've Been Framed!' on Tuesday 29th December @ 20:00.

EDIT: Grimefighters and Emmerdale swap on Wednesday 30th December, so Emmerdale is on @ 19:30.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    STV
    23:00 to 00:05 - Scotland's Always Had Talent :eek:

Whats so :eek: about that? STV have always opted out for Hogmany specials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Whats so :eek: about that? STV have always opted out for Hogmany specials.
    The Scots Factor (Documentary)
    STV
    Thursday, December 31st, 2009
    10:15pm to 11:00pm (Other show times...)

It is official, Susan Boyle's album is the biggest selling debut of all time. Just eight months after her appearance on Britain's Got Talent, West Lothian's finest sits on top of the charts. But she is not the first Scot to feature in a reality talent contest. In this lively documentary, we look at some others who have made their mark - people like Leon Jackson, Michelle McManus, David Sneddon and Keith Jack. And who can ever forget Darius Danesh's performances on Popstars?

Couldn't they show anything better than documentary after documentary after documentary?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, The series was cut short by one episode.
    No, all seven episodes went out.

The dropped episode was just paper talk.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprising that STV have bothered with Marple and Poirot tbh, as I don't think they showed the two Marple's ITV showed in September. I thought they'd originally planned to show An Englishman In New York, though, so it seems to be a last minute thing to opt-out. Also, on Wed December 30th, ITV have moved Emmerdale to 19:30 to show an extra episode of Grimefighters (last in series) at 19:00, and an hour long Countrywise at 8pm. It'll be interesting to see how these two do without airing against Eastenders, and I bet Countrywise will do quite well.

As for ITV's Christmas offerings, I can see all of the folowing flopping:

Stars On The Street
    Ad of The Decade
    Coastline Cops
    The Nolans
    Bridget Jones
    Corpse Bride
    Happy Feet
    Mr and Mrs
    Poirot
    All Star Impressions
    The Holiday
    An Englishman In New York
    Sleep With Me

Some because they sound awful (Stars on The Street, Ad of The Decade, Nolans, Impressions), some because they're in slots that won't work (Happy Feet, Mr and Mrs, Poirot, perhaps The Holiday, Sleep With Me) and I'm expecting An Englishman In New York to flop simply because it does not sound mainstream at all, and whilst I'm sure it'll be good, I just can't see it proving popular.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Its funny how STV takes the show with Englishman in the title out of the schedules but adds in a load of shows about how great Scotland is. :p
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't they show anything better than documentary after documentary after documentary?

Not much point. Like the whole of the UK on Christmas Day, Scottish viewers tend to opt for BBC1 (Scotland) on Hogmanay by default.

Score wrote: »
    Surprising that STV have bothered with Marple and Poirot tbh, as I don't think they showed the two Marple's ITV showed in September. I thought they'd originally planned to show An Englishman In New York, though, so it seems to be a last minute thing to opt-out. Also, on Wed December 30th, ITV have moved Emmerdale to 19:30 to show an extra episode of Grimefighters (last in series) at 19:00, and an hour long Countrywise at 8pm. It'll be interesting to see how these two do without airing against Eastenders, and I bet Countrywise will do quite well.

As for ITV's Christmas offerings, I can see all of the folowing flopping:

Stars On The Street
    Ad of The Decade
    Coastline Cops
    The Nolans
    Bridget Jones
    Corpse Bride
    Happy Feet
    Mr and Mrs
    Poirot
    All Star Impressions
    The Holiday
    An Englishman In New York
    Sleep With Me

Some because they sound awful (Stars on The Street, Ad of The Decade, Nolans, Impressions), some because they're in slots that won't work (Happy Feet, Mr and Mrs, Poirot, perhaps The Holiday, Sleep With Me) and I'm expecting An Englishman In New York to flop simply because it does not sound mainstream at all, and whilst I'm sure it'll be good, I just can't see it proving popular.

All Star Impressions Show certainly sounds like a :eek::eek::eek::eek: programme. Maybe it'll be like a car crash. You know you shouldn't look, but you can't help yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=D.M.N.;37099000
    New Year's Eve

STV
    23:00 to 00:05 - Scotland's Always Had Talent :eek:[/QUOTE]

A :eek: for this? Surely this will just be a compilation of clips of popular Scottish entertainers from the past. People like Chic Murray, Rikki Fulton and Andy Stewart.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Looking back and in 2006 the BBC had one group game then first pick of round 2, with ITV having two groups and first pick of the quarter final.

I'd expect it then to be the opposite this time, with ITV having one group game and a round 2 game, with the BBC having two groups games. Not quite sure whether it's the channel who has just one group game which gets first pick of those, or whether the other channel gets first pick (and third) as they don't get first pick for round 2.

Also if England win the group it looks like all their knock-out games will be 7.30pm kick offs, but if they finish as runner ups their games will be 3pm kick-offs, but on a Sunday and Saturday, so not that bad.

ITV usually ask for more group games, because they are 'guaranteed' fixtures, where they can sell adverts for months in advance. Whereas the latter stages are obviously dependent on England getting through their group.

so the past few tournaments we've seen the BBC get the 2nd round/quarter finals and 1 group game.

so I reckon we'll see ITV get the 2 evening kick offs, and the BBC will get the afternoon group game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV usually ask for more group games, because they are 'guaranteed' fixtures, where they can sell adverts for months in advance. Whereas the latter stages are obviously dependent on England getting through their group.

so the past few tournaments we've seen the BBC get the 2nd round/quarter finals and 1 group game.

so I reckon we'll see ITV get the 2 evening kick offs, and the BBC will get the afternoon group game.

I predict BBC1 to get the Algeria game which is in primetime on a Friday (England's middle game).
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV1 have an extended ITV News to see in 2010 on New Years Eve.

23:35 ITV News : Countdown to 2010 - with Alastair Stewart.
    Is it too much to ask for a Reggie Bosanquet moment on ITN this NYE? :D

Nah, Reggie was always pissed on air - whereas Police Camera Action's Alastair Stewart is only pissed when he's behind the wheel of his car...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1434592/Alastair-Stewart-gets-drink-driving-ban.html
    Countrywise is getting a 1hr 'special' on Weds 30th :

NATURE: Countrywise
    On: ITV1 Yorkshire
    Date: Wednesday 30th December 2009 (starting in 26 days)
    Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

Paul Heiney presents a one hour special of the ITV regions' countryside programme. Paul and the team looks at the age-old rivalry between Yorkshire and Lancashire and set out to discover if it still exists. They travel to the seaside resort of Scarborough on the Yorkshire coast, and to the vast natural wilderness of Morecambe Bay in Lancashire.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)

Typical ITV - they see BBC1 score a major hit with Countryfile, so they have to do a copycat.

My money's on Lancashire, btw... ;)
    Agent F wrote: »
    Well I've had a look and I've complied a couple of lists.....

1. Only Fools and Horses - 21.35m - BBC1 (2001)
    2. Euro 2004: England v Portugal - 20.66m - BBC1 (2004)
    3. EastEnders - 20.05m - BBC1 (2001)
    4. Coronation Street - 19.43m - ITV1 (2003)
    5. World Cup 2006: England v Sweden - 18.46m - ITV1 (2006)
    6. Britain's Got Talent - 18.29m - ITV1 (2009)
    7. Wallace and Gromit: A Matter Of Loaf and Death - 16.15m - BBC1 (2008)
    8. Tonight: Millionaire - 16.10m - ITV1 (2003)
    9. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? - 15.88m - ITV1 (2000)
    10. Heartbeat - 15.16m - ITV1 (2000)

If you just want the top ten broadcasts regardless of duplicates then that's a little easier:

1. Only Fools and Horses - 21.35m - BBC1 (2001)
    2. Euro 2004: England v Portugal - 20.66m - BBC1 (2004)
    3. EastEnders - 20.05m - BBC1 (2001)
    4. Coronation Street - 19.43m - ITV1 (2003)
    5. Coronation Street - 18.96m - ITV1 (2000)
    6. World Cup 2006: England v Sweden - 18.46m - ITV1 (2006)
    7. EastEnders - 18.36m - BBC1 - (2000)
    8. Britain's Got Talent - 18.29m - ITV1 (2009)
    9. Euro 2004: England v Croatia - 18.28m - BBC1 (2004)
    10. Euro 2004: England v France - 17.80m - ITV1 (2004)

To be fair I've just done that by skimming the top ten tables by year so if anyone thinks they're wrong then please feel free to correct.

I think you need a mix of the two - the football matches are all separate "shows" in their own right, whereas for other programmes like EE and Corrie, just the highest single episode will suffice.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Looking back and in 2006 the BBC had one group game then first pick of round 2, with ITV having two groups and first pick of the quarter final.

I'd expect it then to be the opposite this time, with ITV having one group game and a round 2 game, with the BBC having two groups games. Not quite sure whether it's the channel who has just one group game which gets first pick of those, or whether the other channel gets first pick (and third) as they don't get first pick for round 2.

Also if England win the group it looks like all their knock-out games will be 7.30pm kick offs, but if they finish as runner ups their games will be 3pm kick-offs, but on a Sunday and Saturday, so not that bad.
    iaindb wrote: »
    I predict BBC1 to get the Algeria game in primetime on a Friday (England's middle game).

Will be interesting with big games likely against France and Brazil if we get past Australia/Ghana/Germany in the 2nd round. Whereas one might expect ITV to push for the certainty and guaranteed revenue of them having the two primetime group games in return for the Beeb having either or both of the 2nd round and quarter ties, I think given the fair draw and the weight of expectation that ITV might well take a punt on England progressing to at least the quarters and offer the Beeb at least one of the primetime group games and the 2nd round game in return for them gambling on a quarter final and the biggest single audience of 2010 for that match (assuming any semi and the final will be shown on both networks).

I have a feeling ITV will get the England v USA prime-time Saturday match (assuming BGT will have finished its extended run by 12th June...) and the Wednesday afternoon final group game, with BBC1 the Friday night match and the 2nd round game - beyond that, who knows?

Would be interesting to know what the BBC/ITV agreement says for the eventuality that they cannot agree on the divvying up of ties - I read before that there is a set-out procedure in the event of deadlock. I wonder if someone with inside knowledge, GeorgeS perhaps, could give us some pointers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no ratings. :(

Slightly surprising that DS hasn't updated considering it was the I'm a Celebrity final last night. Let's hope we don't have an absentee of ratings next Sunday or Monday. ;)

On that note I notice ITV are already promoting next weekend with 'The BIG Weekend' trailers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still no ratings. :(

Slightly surprising that DS hasn't updated considering it was the I'm a Celebrity final last night. Let's hope we don't have an absentee of ratings next Sunday or Monday. ;)

On that note I notice ITV are already promoting next weekend with 'The BIG Weekend' trailers.

Im sure next weekend there will be lots of ratings being reported with lots of excited people pretending to be delighted with lower than predicted figures. :D
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you need a mix of the two - the football matches are all separate "shows" in their own right, whereas for other programmes like EE and Corrie, just the highest single episode will suffice.
    I think it is generally one match per competition per channel which would get classed as different programmes in a list

So for 2010 you'd have the highest BBC1 World Cup game, the highest ITV1 World Cup Game, the highest champions league, the highest FA Cup match etc

Where you draw the line with miscellaneous matches such as International qualifiers and friendlies, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how SCD will do in its split format tonight. It probably should have been this way from the start, but so late in the day, you wonder if there's any point. I can't see the 9.40 show picking up large numbers. It was patently obvious who was going when the main show finished at 8, so you'd have to be a big Bette Midler fan to have been desperate to watch the results show.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the 75-minute Rod Stewart advert runs SCD results close, or better.

SCD was pretty much done before 8pm, so with no real overlap that might have helped TXF reverse its declining ratings trend - even with its wrap-up sequence, SCD was off air by 8.05.

They'll have some pissed off customers if they don't, given what they've charged them...
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Im sure next weekend there will be lots of ratings being reported with lots of excited people pretending to be delighted with lower than predicted figures. :D

I'm away for a few days from next Saturday. Regular readers of this thread will no doubt be delighted by that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm away for a few days from next Saturday. Regular readers of this thread will no doubt be delighted by that...

You'll have a lot of catching up, me thinks!

SCD should be up from last week. Can't help but think Jay Hunt will be regretting merging the shows IF the results show manages to break 10m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't help but think Jay Hunt will be regretting merging the shows IF the results show manages to break 10m.

Yeah right!

With a 3m lead-in and 12 weeks so far without one?

6m tops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah right!

6m tops.

Under-estimating so you can express your delight when you say 'Strictly did much better than what I expected in my view'.

If Brucie reliably informed his audience that Strictly is returning @ 21:40 then it should get over 8m, which is more than the dance off has got for the past few weeks (of course my 10m prediction was deliberately meant to be wide of the margin).
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how SCD will do in its split format tonight. It probably should have been this way from the start, but so late in the day, you wonder if there's any point. I can't see the 9.40 show picking up large numbers. It was patently obvious who was going when the main show finished at 8, so you'd have to be a big Bette Midler fan to have been desperate to watch the results show.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the 75-minute Rod Stewart advert runs SCD results close, or better.

SCD was pretty much done before 8pm, so with no real overlap that might have helped TXF reverse its declining ratings trend - even with its wrap-up sequence, SCD was off air by 8.05.

They'll have some pissed off customers if they don't, given what they've charged them...

They never should have messed with the split format-the single show just puts it in the same league as alot of the other talent formats the BBC did that turned out to be total dross. Splitting lends more importance to the result.
    As for the figures-well it should beat whats on ITV at that time so I guess that would justify its scheduling. Next year the shows need to be split from the start.
    Both Merlin and Strictly tonight were very good imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah right!

6m tops.

Its going to get at least 8m and im sure you would be very disappointed if it got 6m.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

On the contrary it won't be the same... :(
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely not Im sure! Actually, as well, the BBC needs you I think Robbie.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    SCD was a bore, that new judge brought absolutely nothing, and with the couple top of the leaderboard against the bottom, the dance-off was a forgone conclusion.

Perhaps they should just be down to the public vote at this stage. Still, there should have been a big post XF audience around curious enough to see what they've been missing.

A bit like rubber necking at a car crash :)
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im more of a reader than a contributor of this thread these days but there are some serious bores here - you're definetly not one of them - always look forward to your posts!
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their court case will be a huge blow for ITV producers celebrating the most popular I'm A Celeb since 2005 with shows averaging 8.5 million viewers - and 11 million tuning in to watch the final.
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/631249/Im-A-Celebrity-winner-Gino-DAcampo-on-rodent-cruelty-rap.html
This discussion has been closed.