Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    I accept that. But, its another example of ITV putting short-term gain before long-term success. Sure ITV will make more money than usual during Corrie's anniversary week but its shutting the door on non-Corrie fans and possibly risks losing some viewers in the long-term by overexposing a hit show again.

It also makes a mockery of Adam Crozier's statment about trying to change " a remarkable lack of diversity" in the schedules. It sure is a diverse selection of programming that week. :rolleyes:

That's a very good point - at the moment ITV's approach seems to be live for today rather than thinking about tomorrow.
  • Options
    ToadieTheLawmanToadieTheLawman Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Glad to see Neighbours rising a bit on Channel 5 at the 5.30pm showing.

Be interesting to see what the news channels and programmes get when the data comes in tomorrow.

I agree - confirmed by DS tv ratings roundup, Neighbours actually got 1.7 million! :eek:
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    BBC1/ITV1 between 7 and 9pm is 99% rubbish if you're not a soap fan. It's not like it's displacing anything of note. I'm not really sure how it's "shutting the door on non-Corrie fans".

In terms of overexposure - the show is 50 years old, I think they're entitled to make a big deal of it. I also doubt anyone who has watched for years is suddenly going to be pushed over the edge by this particular week. It's not like football fans stop watching because of the overexposure of the World Cup for a few weeks every four years.
    ITV1 is mostly rubbish (tempted to just top here :p) if your not a soap fan especially with several nights having 90 mins of soap between 7-9pm. BBC1 not so much, the most you get is 90 mins on a Tuesday, the rest of the week its 30 mins max.

I agree, they're entitled to make a big deal of it but sticking it all in the one week seems far too much to me. I would have spread it out over a couple of weeks, showing the 9pm specials the week before and moving the 4 hours of actual Corrie episodes around a bit. But, they cant do that as the previous week is crammed full of Im A Celeb every night, another blockade and lack of diverse scheduling.

The World Cup is one month in every 4 years. Before you get a month's rest from the end of the normal season and after it you get a 6 week break before the new season. There wont be a month's break until more Corrie, it will be another 5 episodes the next week.
    Fudd wrote: »
    That's a very good point - at the moment ITV's approach seems to be live for today rather than thinking about tomorrow.
    They are likely to get away with it though. If it appears Cowell, Corrie and Im a Celeb aren't enough to keep ITV going the government will either help ITV by removing ad restrictions, PSB quotas etc or try to hinder the BBC instead.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 is mostly rubbish (tempted to just top here :p) if your not a soap fan especially with several nights having 90 mins of soap between 7-9pm. BBC1 not so much, the most you get is 90 mins on a Tuesday, the rest of the week its 30 mins max.

Isn't Casualty 50 minutes? And us lucky Scottish folk are treated to an hour of River City as well. :D

The problem isn't just the soaps themselves. It's also that when one channel has a soap on, the other shows something lazy 9 times out of 10. You've got PSB requirements buried against Eastenders and Corrie respectively and The One Show for 3 hours a week.

There's very little ambition before 9pm on either channel. Unless there's football on ITV1, it's rare that I'll even glance at the "big 2" schedules for that period.
    I agree, they're entitled to make a big deal of it but sticking it all in the one week seems far too much to me. I would have spread it out over a couple of weeks, showing the 9pm specials the week before and moving the 4 hours of actual Corrie episodes around a bit. But, they cant do that as the previous week is crammed full of Im A Celeb every night, another blockade and lack of diverse scheduling.

I don't think he necessarily means that every week should be diverse! I doubt he'll be axing the idea of stripped drama like Collision or else Britain's Got Talent finals week.
    The World Cup is one month in every 4 years. Before you get a month's rest from the end of the normal season and after it you get a 6 week break before the new season. There wont be a month's break until more Corrie, it will be another 5 episodes the next week.

I wasn't applying it that strictly! :o:p

The point was really just that a relatively minor surge of programming for one (huge) week isn't going to make much difference in the long run (whereas adding a new episode would). I still don't know how the soaps manage such an audience 4 nights a week, 52 weeks a year!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point was really just that a relatively minor surge of programming for one (huge) week isn't going to make much difference in the long run (whereas adding a new episode would). I still don't know how the soaps manage such an audience 4 nights a week, 52 weeks a year!

They've got to try not to keep doing it IMO though. remember, this'll be the second time this year that Coronation Street will be given extra episodes and plugged for all it's worth - if siege week had played out as scheduled ITV wouldn't have aired anything but Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Britain's Got Talent that time; not exactly diverse.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get Evens with Ladbrokes that BBC audience for Royal Wedding will be under 30 million.

So for anyone certain of a low audience it's a no brainer - any audience under 30 million and you win.

Even money bet.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Specials-c210000126
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Isn't Casualty 50 minutes? And us lucky Scottish folk are treated to an hour of River City as well. :D

The problem isn't just the soaps themselves. It's also that when one channel has a soap on, the other shows something lazy 9 times out of 10. You've got PSB requirements buried against Eastenders and Corrie respectively and The One Show for 3 hours a week.

There's very little ambition before 9pm on either channel. Unless there's football on ITV1, it's rare that I'll even glance at the "big 2" schedules for that period.
    Fair enough, I agree with most of that. I forgot about Casualty (as most people do nowadays ;)) and dont have the fortune of lving in the right country to sample River City.

I don't think he necessarily means that every week should be diverse! I doubt he'll be axing the idea of stripped drama like Collision or else Britain's Got Talent finals week.
    I know he didnt mean every week but in my eyes its poor planning to have Im A Celeb on air just two days before Corrie's anniversary week. The previous week or two could have started special programmes, counntdowns of favourite moments/episodes/characters etc to start the celebrations. Yet everything feels so crowded in just the one week.
    I wasn't applying it that strictly! :o:p
    Of course one week isn't going to cause anthing big but it just seems like another example in an ongoign trend of overexposure, especialy in the case of Corrie. As another episode per week has been added, ratings have fallen and now they are behind Eastenders (quite a long way on overall reach) when a few years ago they were far ahead.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    to be fair I think his plans for a diverse ITV scheulde, is slightly more long term, possibly not until autumn 2011

To be completely honest, I don't think we'll be seeing notably more diversity on primetime ITV at all. That statement was a clever bit of politics.

We might get more (very welcome) niche offerings out of primetime to satisfy regulators, but so long as their popularity sustains, I'd be shocked to see them cutting the number of soap episodes a week. It's never happened before and it'd be throwing revenue down a drain.
    mlt11 wrote: »
    You can get Evens with Ladbrokes that BBC audience for Royal Wedding will be under 30 million.

So for anyone certain of a low audience it's a no brainer - any audience under 30 million and you win.

Even money bet.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Specials-c210000126

I think the wedding will surprise many with how well it will do, but those odds still seem astonishing.

I can't see any reason, for instance, why this wedding should rate any higher than the 28 million of Charles & Diana - given that in this day and age there are more alternative viewing options available and the monarchy doesn't quite have the hold it did even 30 years ago.

In any case, it'll be an interesting day on the ratings thread. Hyped one-off events are the most unpredictable. See also the Olympics in 2012. I honestly think we'll be seeing 10-15m (depending on medal prospects) all night, every night. And that one is channel exclusive. ITV might as well shut up shop for a fortnight!
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I think the wedding will surprise many with how well it will do, but those odds still seem astonishing.

I can't see any reason, for instance, why this wedding should rate any higher than the 28 million of Charles & Diana - given that in this day and age there are more alternative viewing options available and the monarchy doesn't quite have the hold it did even 30 years ago.

If you want better odds you can get 3-1 against the audience being below 27.6m.

Re the comparison with Charles & Diana I would just note that the total population of the UK will now be a certain amount higher (maybe 10% to 15%?)

So 28m then = approx 31m to 32m today?

Also whilst I agree about the monarchy in general, the degree to which the media hypes up events is now massively greater than it was 30 years ago.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, I agree with most of that. I forgot about Casualty (as most people do nowadays ;)) and dont have the fortune of lving in the right country to sample River City.

I know he didnt mean every week but in my eyes its poor planning to have Im A Celeb on air just two days before Corrie's anniversary week. The previous week or two could have started special programmes, counntdowns of favourite moments/episodes/characters etc to start the celebrations. Yet everything feels so crowded in just the one week.

Of course one week isn't going to cause anthing big but it just seems like another example in an ongoign trend of overexposure, especialy in the case of Corrie. As another episode per week has been added, ratings have fallen and now they are behind Eastenders (quite a long way on overall reach) when a few years ago they were far ahead.

Casualty is 50 minutes, Holby is 60 minutes
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itvpresscentre
    Great news: @MrPeterAndre signs new multi-year deal with @ITV. Peter will continue The Next Chapter & front a new show #itvpresscentre
    2 minutes ago
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    A placeholder for ITV1+1 has appeared on Freeview channel 35 - coming soon.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    itvpresscentre
    Great news: @MrPeterAndre signs new multi-year deal with @ITV. Peter will continue The Next Chapter & front a new show #itvpresscentre
    2 minutes ago

I assume there will be a News Special on ITV1 at 7 pm, Tom Bradby interviews Peter Andre and looks at Peter's ring:D. Rejoice !
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    I don't know what disclaimers to put with this because I don't what is and isn't HD anymore :p

anyway....

BBC1
    TOS - 6.35m (people didn't care for Wills & Kate?)
    EE - 7.1m
    HC - 5.86m
    TBT - 4.62m

ITV1
    Will & Kate - 5.79m (having said the above, not a bad rating)
    Emmer - 5.56m
    TZ - 3.97m
    IAC - 8.1m

BBC2
    Wills & Kate - 2.57m
    Titch - 1.76m
    Horizon - 1.19m
    Later - 721k

C4
    HO - 1.25m
    The Family - 1.05m
    JC:TJ - 1.01m

Five
    Neighbours - 1.42m
    HAA - 896k
    CSI: Miami - 1.74m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Mike. Looks to me like ITV1's 7pm hour rated worse than it normally would. Excellent rating for The One Show.

The Family tanked- I seem to remember the first 2 series launched with over 2 million viewers?
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what disclaimers to put with this because I don't what is and isn't HD anymore :p

anyway....

BBC1
    EE - 7.1m
    HC - 5.86m
    TBT - 4.62m

ITV1
    Emmer - 5.56m
    TZ - 3.97m
    IAC - 8.1m

BBC2
    Wills & Kate - 2.57m
    Titch - 1.76m
    Horizon - 1.19m
    Later - 721k

C4
    HO - 1.25m
    The Family - 1.05m

Five
    Neighbours - 1.42m
    HAA - 896k
    The One Show simulcast the interview with ITV1. So over 12 million were watching it either on BBC1 or ITV1. It was also on the news channels and Living.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    The One Show simulcast the interview with ITV1. So over 12 million were watching it either on BBC1 or ITV1. It was also on the news channels and Living.

5.7m thought the new family on Emmerdale seemed a bit posh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mike- what was the exact rating for The Family? Does it round up to 1.1m or down to 1.0m? :)
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Mike- what was the exact rating for The Family? Does it round up to 1.1m or down to 1.0m? :)

well the figure I've got it 1.051m

so I should used basic maths and round up to 1.1m

my maths teacher will be so disappointed in me :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well the figure I've got it 1.051m

so I should used basic maths and round up to 1.1m

my maths teacher will be so disappointed in me :o
    Thanks - sorry for being so particular, just that I needed it for the Ratings Game. :)
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Thank you, Mike. Looks to me like ITV1's 7pm hour rated worse than it normally would. Excellent rating for The One Show.
    I thought ITV1's 7pm hour rated better than usual. They averaged about 5.9m (inc. HD) between 7-8pm. Usually they average about 5.2m (inc. HD) due to Emmerdale getting ~7.5m at 7pm and the 7.30pm filler getting ~3m or even worse sometimes.

BBC1 across the hour rated about the same as usual, I'd say. 6.7m between 7-8pm last night, usually they'd have just under 5m for TOS and 9m for 'Enders so about the same overall. [Great rating for The One Show yesterday by the way]

So overall, despite losing both the 7pm and 7.30pm slots to BBC1 it was definitely a schedule change worth doing for ITV. Firstly it would've been a bit ridiculous anyway not showing the interview at 7pm as the embargo expired then and afterall it was their own presenter, but also their 7-8pm average was boosted and there was a significant boost for The Zoo too - 4m in that slot is practically unheard of for normal programming.

Holby City continued excellently as per usual and Turn Back Time held up well considering IAC's big rating which is up on last year's equivalent figure. Poor start for The Family and CSI: Miami was dented too - is that its lowest ever audience?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

anyway....

BBC1
    EE - 7.1m
    HC - 5.86m
    TBT - 4.62m

ITV1
    Emmer - 5.56m
    TZ - 3.97m
    IAC - 8.1m

BBC2
    Wills & Kate - 2.57m
    Titch - 1.76m
    Horizon - 1.19m
    Later - 721k

C4
    HO - 1.25m
    The Family - 1.05m

Five
    Neighbours - 1.42m
    HAA - 896k

Very good rating for The One Show, although EastEnders dented. Turn Back Time performed solidly, it has to be said.

I think ITV will be pleased myself. If you include HD, I imagine Will and Kate would be bang on 6m, Emmerdale probably about 5.8m, and The Zoo would have broken 4m - I think they'd be happy because for once a Tuesday wasn't a flopzone and the 8pm hour performed solidly. OK, Emmerdale was dented, but it had a positive side effect in that the 7pm weighted average was probably higher than usual, and the 8pm hour did better. Last Tuesday over the 7pm hour, excluding HD, ITV averaged 5.1m, while last night they averaged 5.7m, so in that respect, they'll be pleased.

I'm a Celebrity on the same Tuesday last year had 8.5m, including HD you're probably looking at it being very slightly down. Up on the 2008 figure of 7.9m though. Saying that, the lead-in this year was higher (4.0m probably vs 3.2m) so one could argue it should have been up on the same figure last year. EDIT: Actually had 8.71m (34.1%) including HD according to Broadcast, so its up on last year.

Poor for The Family on C4.

(OK, rzt's basically said the same as me about ITV above but in fewer words :p )

BBC News Bulletins
    11:45 - 1.22m (23.7%)
    13:00 - 2.54m (35.4%)
    18:00 - 5.11m (25.3%)
    22:00 - 4.72m (22.8%)

ITV News Bulletins
    13:30 - 1.06m (14.6%)
    18:30 - 3.60m (16.8%)
    22:00 - 2.80m (15.0%) - 1 hour long

Also, William and Kate: The Royal Engagement had 5.91m (26.3%) including HD.
  • Options
    ToadieTheLawmanToadieTheLawman Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a celeb is holding really well so is Emmadale against EE

Anyone have the ratings for Home And Away first-look over on Channel Fiver and Neighbours at 7pm?
  • Options
    most_hauntedmost_haunted Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    BBC News Bulletins
    11:45 - 1.22m (23.7%)
    13:00 - 2.54m (35.4%)
    18:00 - 5.11m (25.3%)
    22:00 - 4.72m (22.8%)

ITV News Bulletins
    13:30 - 1.06m (14.6%)
    18:30 - 3.60m (16.8%)
    22:00 - 2.80m (15.0%) - 1 hour long

Also, William and Kate: The Royal Engagement had 5.91m (26.3%) including HD.
    The standout figure there has to be the hour long News at Ten for me. I'm guessing it dropped viewers throughout, but 2.8m for ITV1 over the 10pm hour is pretty unheard of most of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    I thought ITV1's 7pm hour rated better than usual. They averaged about 5.9m (inc. HD) between 7-8pm. Usually they average about 5.2m (inc. HD) due to Emmerdale getting ~7.5m at 7pm and the 7.30pm filler getting ~3m or even worse sometimes.

BBC1 across the hour rated about the same as usual, I'd say. 6.7m between 7-8pm last night, usually they'd have just under 5m for TOS and 9m for 'Enders so about the same overall. [Great rating for The One Show yesterday by the way]

So overall, despite losing both the 7pm and 7.30pm slots to BBC1 it was definitely a schedule change worth doing for ITV. Firstly it would've been a bit ridiculous anyway not showing the interview at 7pm as the embargo expired then but also their 7-8pm average was boosted and there was a significant boost for The Zoo too - 4m in that slot is practically unheard of.
    Ah OK, on first glance it appeared to be slightly down (hence "looks like", never claimed it to be fact), but on closer inspection it was actually slightly up so that's good at least for ITV. I still think The One Show did well to beat the ITV1 special by the amount that it did.

I also completely agree that ITV1 were right to show it at 7pm and have never said otherwise. Not sure they should have aired Emmerdale at 7:30pm though, but as they are already running an hour-long on Thursday and had football tonight I suppose their options were limited.

The Zoo did well in fairness. I won't go OTT, its rating still isn't brilliant, but it's a lot more respectable than ITV's usual performance in that slot.
    rzt wrote: »
    Holby City continued excellently as per usual and Turn Back Time held up well considering IAC's big rating which is up on last year's equivalent figure. Poor start for The Family and CSI: Miami was dented too - is that its lowest ever audience?
    Whilst I can't address your question with any certainty, I seem to remember it logging 1.7 in the overnights on occasions before where it has clashed with football of some kind.

The Family seems far more likely to have logged an all-time series low, but we won't point that out, eh?
This discussion has been closed.