Options

Why did they book Bruce Forsyth on The Muppets in 1976?

ParviniParvini Posts: 55
Forum Member
I've wondered about this for a long time, but would American audiences have had a clue as to who Bruce Forsyth was?

How and why was he booked for the show? Anyone got any insights?

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps someone else dropped out and he was a last minute replacement

Something similar happened in 1981 when Richard Pryor was due to be the guest but couldn't make it in time and replaced by one of the writers on the show Chris Langham
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he was trying to break into the US at the time. He had a one man show in New York which went as well as Bruce Forsyth's Big Night on ITV - the joke was that NASA took astronauts there to experience a place with no atmosphere! :D I expect his agent got the booking, rather than he was asked.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Chris Langham was also the guest one week, when a big Hollywood star dropped out.

He was one of the writers.
  • Options
    ParviniParvini Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Perhaps someone else dropped out and he was a last minute replacement

I was about to say "A last minute replacement flown in all the way from the UK?" but looking up the show it was recorded in London. Well I never!

I'd always assumed Muppet Show was recorded in New York.

It's possible that he was a replacement. I wonder though, were they making the show for US TV only or also for a UK audience?

I can't see anything in Brucie's CV outside of Bedknobs and Broomsticks that an American audience would know him from.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parvini wrote: »
    I've wondered about this for a long time, but would American audiences have had a clue as to who Bruce Forsyth was?

How and why was he booked for the show? Anyone got any insights?

Remember, he was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Frank Skinner's chat show had a band of elederly musicians - the Skinnerettes,and someone wrote in revealing that the drummer. Ronnie Verrell was the drummer in Jack Parnell's orchestra, and had played the drums for "Animal" in the Muppet shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Verrell

The Muppet shows were made in the UK by Lew Grade's ATV for an International audience - particularly the USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muppet_Show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea when that was? If prior to '76, then likely some Americans would have known him.

I am, of course, assuming that Sunday Night at the London Palladium didn't have an international market... unless someone out there knows differently
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    as has been pointed out the show was made in england and plenty of brits who werent known in the states were guests one being spike milligan
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Chris Langham was also the guest one week, when a big Hollywood star dropped out.

He was one of the writers.

Really that short notice?
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie danced with Sammy Davis Jnr. Any idea when that was? If prior to '76, then likely some Americans would have known him.

I am, of course, assuming that Sunday Night at the London Palladium didn't have an international market... unless someone out there knows differently

I thought that this happened in 1978 during Bruce Forsyth's Big Night.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Wasn't Brucie in an episode of Magnum PI or was that another one of my weird dreams? :D
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If memory serves correct, I'm sure Kemit said at the start of the show something along the lines of 'If you think I'm sounding a bit British tonight, it's because we have one of Britian's top performers with us today'
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    as has been pointed out the show was made in england and plenty of brits who werent known in the states were guests one being spike milligan

Conversely a lot of the American guests would have been relatively unknown to the British viewers

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Muppet_Show_Guest_Stars
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Lots of guest stars on the show were not 'big names', just people the producers thought would be good. I remember one week the guests were a weird mime act that used puppets a bit, but in a very different way to the Muppets themselves. I'd never heard of them before or saw them again. That doesn't mean they didn't have careers in the US, but I doubt they were a 'big deal' anywhere. Perhaps nowadays we're in the mindset that guest stars have to be A-list or at least B-list names, but The Muppets were seen as big names in themselves.