Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm now watching on +1 :)
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh arghhhh...getting gripping now....enjoyed that.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    This is so disappointing. I've stopped caring about any of them.
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just me that thought it was brilliant then!!
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lainey23 wrote: »
    Funny, I had heard that they always saw it as a trilogy but it depend on the success or not of the first series.
    http://tennantnews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/broadchurch-was-planned-as-trilogy.html

Yes and no.It was designed to be self contained one off and actors were only obligated for one series.Potential for a second series was dependent on ratings and availability of actors.

"Chibnall wrote the script for Broadchurch on spec after his work on Camelot ended.[4][3] He began using whiteboards in May 2011[7] to create backgrounds for each character and craft the plot of the series[4][2]—which he envisioned as being a trilogy.[8][9] Series one was written to work both as the first of a trilogy and as a self-contained drama. He believed the first series should be self-contained in case the show did not do well in the ratings and a second series was not commissioned.[6][9]"
    Wikipedia.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second series is definitely second rate.
    Such a shame.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ellie is so funny :D
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    Just me that thought it was brilliant then!!

Nope me too, absolutely loved it.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I cant believe this mash up was a planned second part of a trilogy. The cross examination scenes were strange tonight because they made no sense whatsoever and portrayed the defence barrister as someone clutching at straws.
  • Options
    gladysbachgladysbach Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    dottzie38 wrote: »
    This is why I can't watch any courtroom guff it winds me up no end all I want to do is slap the defence lawyer down hard. I really wish they had left all this joe stuff alone and concentrated on another story

Here here! Don't like the actress playing the defence lawyer - talk about over-acting! Why should an ex-brit who swanned off to live in USA get a part back here.:confused:
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    I cant believe this mash up was a planned second part of a trilogy. The cross examination scenes were strange tonight because they made no sense whatsoever and portrayed the defence barrister as someone clutching at straws.

...and very, very, loud.
  • Options
    steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of crap, loved the first series, but this is just pure nonsense, so visiting a fellow officer in a hotel room (where the guy was basically staying, so not any worse that going to his house if he had one there) after finding out that your world had collapsed equals you are having an affair, yet there is no other signs, if i was on the jury, it would be quite hard not to laugh.

This second series could and should have been so much better, but it has just has just missed so much, the tension in the village/town, where is all the aftermath, where is half the cast from series one, could have been much more focus on Ellie rebuilding here life elsewhere, Hardy recovering, both having to come together for court case, but most importantly where is all the tension in the court.

They could have had a new police team having to go over the case following the not guilty plea and how the village, family, Hardy and Ellie deals with it all.

Personally i see so many different angles the show could have taken, that could have kept it in the same vain as the 1st series, even down to perhaps placing a doubt that maybe the husband might not be guilty, with all the twists and turns that could go with it.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk about putting 4 & 4 together to make 5000. They have no actual evidence of an affair so where is she going to fabricate that from??
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Nope me too, absolutely loved it.

So glad Im not alone! Olivia Coleman is amazing!
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gladysbach wrote: »
    Here here! Don't like the actress playing the defence lawyer - talk about over-acting! Why should an ex-brit who swanned off to live in USA get a part back here.:confused:

Dreadful, isn't she? Yet everyone I know raves about what a fabulous actress she is.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it bizarre that the defence counsel told Ellie to stick to the facts because she had no evidence that her husband planned his actions when she was under the influence of the sleeping pill but then had the same creative attitude to facts when accusing Ellie of having an affair with her boss.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Its boring. Watching the first series and i'm gripped but this is just the court case strung out over 8 weeks
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Literally car - crash viewing tonight :p

Still entertaining and reasonably thought provoking but it's definitely missing the unity of character and story that series one had as well as the sense of community.
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Second series is definitely second rate.
    Such a shame.

I wholeheartedly agree - loved series one from the first episode and it soon became must-see tv for me. Now, I actually couldn't care what happens to any of the characters and I don't even know if I'll bother switching on next week.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    racey43 wrote: »
    I'd rather not thanks. :D:D

Oh the immaturity of some. Grow up!
  • Options
    pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Utter garbage. Giving up unless really bored or reviews come in saying its redeemed itself
  • Options
    guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous court scenes. Any prospective witness comprehensively prepped before taking the stand. not a 10 second pep talk just before you go in.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's implausible, it's TV drama. I couldn't imagine anything more dull than watching actual, fact-based proceedings. Entire shows based in a courtroom have run for countless bloody series' by the seat-of-their-pants, throwing any reality right out the window.

I don't see why Broadchurch is getting so much shit for doing the same thing. It makes for good television.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Of course it's implausible, it's TV drama. I couldn't imagine anything more dull than watching actual, fact-based proceedings. Entire shows based in a courtroom have run for countless bloody series' by the seat-of-their-pants, throwing any reality right out the window.

I don't see why Broadchurch is getting so much shit for doing the same thing. It makes for good television.

I agree, I am loving it, I like the way that both series have been slow burners.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    If the decreasing number of people commenting on this thread each episode is anything to go by, the interest is decreasing each week.