Options

Migrant Coverage

Comments

• Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    I'm sure that sick individual earns more in expenses than most of us on here earn in real money.

Reading his Wikipedia page made me feel sick.
    You can be sure he doesn't lecture the Board and Shareholders of Goldman Sachs when they are busy shafting the World's economy and lining his pockets .................................... >:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I like multiculturalism. It means I can get a cup of spicy tea.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like multiculturalism. It means I can get a cup of spicy tea.

It also means that some imported thug can culturally enrich you by stabbing you and stealing said cup of spicy tea.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no strong feelings on multiculturalism because no-one can really explain what culture it's apparently ruined. Warm pints on a summer's afternoon watching cricket on the village common? (Yes, that was how John Major described the quintessential England.)
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    "Do not blame the likes of Adolf Hitler but blame those who paved the way for him."

No, we can pretty much blame Adolf and all those who had racist views at the time. We are at risk of that again. The far right must never be allowed to take power again. Using this as an excuse is the way the far right work. Just look at the scum of the Britain First group and any other in this country.

Sorry, Andy but you're totally wrong about this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Islamic countries be as, you say, " liberal " if thousands of young male Christians were at their borders demanding to be allowed in ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Where have you been prevented from speaking out? You seem to be speaking out on here just fine.

They were always allowed to speak out but they need to speak from a position of anger and injustice so it's useful for them to say things like "we weren't allowed to say this before but we are now" - sorry that's just absurd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also means that some imported thug can culturally enrich you by stabbing you and stealing said cup of spicy tea.

Are you saying you'd rather be stabbed by an indigenous white thug instead? No, I think it's pretty clear there is a lot of issues within society already. It is quite negative to focus only in that area on what immigrants bring to the country.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people in Hungary even bitching? Arnt people just traveling through their and not staying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Islamic countries be as, you say, " liberal " if thousands of young male Christians were at their borders demanding to be allowed in ?

Irrelevant. We don't do as the Islamic countries do, remember? We are supposed to be the ones in the "right", whatever that word means here. We treat others decently. So comparing us to the supposed "brutal" attitudes elsewhere is an invalid argument.
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Where have you been prevented from speaking out? You seem to be speaking out on here just fine.
    DS is not part of everyday life jesaya.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »

That was true back in 2004. It is even more the case now. Very little of reality is here in terms of balanced opinion, central positions and temperate beliefs. It's pretty much extreme one way or the other.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I don't think Multiculturalism should be forced on anyone. If the Hungarian people show resistance to it then the Hungarian government should respect that. The country was still under a strict communist regime, treated like a mere satellite state by Russia within living memory. Most of the population remember that, the memories are raw and it'll be a long time before there is a generation of Hungarians who haven't lived during the communist times. The country is still emerging from those times and it has to be able to make it's own future and find it's place in the world properly, the same can be said for most of Eastern Europe and the Balkans, so it's no surprise we see so much resistance from the East to accept the migrants. Western leaders and populations are quick to shame these countries for the way they have dealt with this crisis, but really, what would the UK have done in the same position? If we had the same economy and history as many of these Eastern countries would we really have acted any differently?

We benefit from being an island when it comes to situations like this, but if hundreds of thousands of people treated our emerging country like a toilet on their way to what they saw as better places would we have been happy about it? I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly, I'd much rather get stabbed by a home grown thug and have him steal my tradition english tea.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »

It is a public forum... where else are you prevented from saying the things you say on here? What prevents you?
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.eturbonews.com/64221/pearl-adriatic-fears-migrant-flood-may-ruin-tourism
    "Pearl of the Adriatic" fears migrant flood may ruin tourism
    DUBROVNIK, Croatia - Officials in Dubrovnik, a tourist hotspot in southern Croatia known as the “Pearl of the Adriatic”, fear it could become part of a new route for thousands of migrants as they seek to avoid a security fence that is growing along Hungary’s borders.

Up to 10,000 migrants a day are now entering Croatia through its eastern border with Serbia, after Hungary sealed its own 175km-long frontier with Serbia by means of a controversial four-metre-high steel barrier topped with razor wire.

For almost a fortnight, Croatia has helped migrants get round the costly fence – much to the annoyance of the Budapest government – by bussing them to the Croatia-Hungary border, from where Hungary transports them to Austria.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I've no strong feelings on multiculturalism because no-one can really explain what culture it's apparently ruined. Warm pints on a summer's afternoon watching cricket on the village common? (Yes, that was how John Major described the quintessential England.)

I wouldn't say it's ruined anything, at least not where I live.
    The elements of 'our' culture that I value are things such as - equality between the sexes, freedom of religion, increasing secularism, equality and safety for gay and lesbian people, etc.
    Does multicultarilism threaten any of these? I suppose it could, worst case scenario.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migration crisis proves boon for some businesses
    http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/migration-crisis-proves-boon-for-some-businesses/

Entrepreneur Bert Karlsson is among those profiting from the wave of migrants coming to
    Europe. The record company boss and founder of a now-defunct anti-immigrant party in Sweden raised eyebrows recently when Swedish media reported that his company, Jokarjo, had billed the government 132 million Swedish kronor ($16 million) to house asylum seekers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One would imagine a culture as robust and time-worn as the ones in Britain would stand no matter who came to live here. Talking about erosion only serves to bring up questions like "well it wasn't that strong an identity if it was so easily eroded was it?"
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Blofeld wrote: »
    I don't think Multiculturalism should be forced on anyone. If the Hungarian people show resistance to it then the Hungarian government should respect that. The country was still under a strict communist regime, treated like a mere satellite state by Russia within living memory. Most of the population remember that, the memories are raw and it'll be a long time before there is a generation of Hungarians who haven't lived during the communist times. The country is still emerging from those times and it has to be able to make it's own future and find it's place in the world properly, the same can be said for most of Eastern Europe and the Balkans, so it's no surprise we see so much resistance from the East to accept the migrants. Western leaders and populations are quick to shame these countries for the way they have dealt with this crisis, but really, what would the UK have done in the same position? If we had the same economy and history as many of these Eastern countries would we really have acted any differently?

We benefit from being an island when it comes to situations like this, but if hundreds of thousands of people treated our emerging country like a toilet on their way to what they saw as better places would we have been happy about it? I very much doubt it.

Maybe Hungarians have heard that UK Muslim clerics preach along the lines of - "Treat the UK like a toilet" -

Source - Telegraph and others
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interview with Ninette Kelley, Canadian former representative of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in Lebanon during period camps grew (she says they were registering more refugees each week than Canada takes in a year).
    Canada plans to take in 10,000 Syrian refugees over 15 months to three years.
    Kelly says 80 per cent of the Syrian refugees are women and children.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5933281-canadian-official-for-un-watched-syrian-refugee-crisis-slow-burn-in-lebanon/
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Irrelevant. We don't do as the Islamic countries do, remember? We are supposed to be the ones in the "right", whatever that word means here. We treat others decently. So comparing us to the supposed "brutal" attitudes elsewhere is an invalid argument.

It's such amusing irony when it's dragged up as a supposed valid argument though.
    I'll go back to being the invisible woman now.:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Maybe Hungarians have heard that UK Muslim clerics preach along the lines of - "Treat the UK like a toilet" -

Source - Telegraph and others

For anyone who didn't know this is about one extremist cleric, Abu Hamza. He was imprisoned in 2006 and then deported to the US in 2012. He was found guilty of terrorism charges and is now serving life in jail.

Justice took place. I'm not sure this is the example you really wanted to bring up because I doubt using one example to smear all Muslim clerics is very valid, helpful, truthful or accurate.
  • Options
    ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    One would imagine a culture as robust and time-worn as the ones in Britain would stand no matter who came to live here. Talking about erosion only serves to bring up questions like "well it wasn't that strong an identity if it was so easily eroded was it?"

Left field clap trap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ARYM wrote: »
    Left field clap trap.

Unfortunate for you that I don't have left leaning views despite your attempts to be disparaging by marking my post as such. And what is leftist about saying "moaning about the erosion of culture suggests that culture wasn't particularly strong in the first place"? Why not actually explain what's leftist about that? And then explain what's clap trap about it too?
This discussion has been closed.