UK gets UHD Demo from satellite through Freesat

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a rubbish article - "Freesat broadcast over 200 channels"

How inaccurate is the rest of it -
    SES is now feeding its Ultra-HD demo channel to the UK via the Freesat free-to-view satellite bouquet.
    - really? Will it appear on the freesat EPG - I don't think so - there are no UHD freesat receivers to add it to.
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SES have been running a UHD TV demo channel on Astra 2F 12441 V for months already.
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member

How inaccurate is the rest of it - - really? Will it appear on the freesat EPG - I don't think so - there are no UHD freesat receivers to add it to.

Unless author Chris Forrester has seen the feed personally? Here's an article from February by a different site's writer, Thomas Campbell,
    The channel can be received with a standard satellite dish connected to a state-of-the-art Ultra HD flat screen TV with integrated satellite tuner and HEVC decoder. In terms of content, the emphasis is on demonstrating the quality of UHD — sports, animals, cityscapes, urban sports (see illustration)… that sort of thing.

Broadcast via ASTRA 2E at 28.2 degrees East, the channel will simulcast the UHD demonstration channel that is currently at SES’s primary European orbital position of 19.2 degrees East.

“We are delighted to have set up this demonstration channel at the prime orbital position for the UK market,” comments Mike Chandler, managing director of ASTRA (GB) Ltd, SES’s subsidiary in the UK. “We are making use of the capacity to enable UK and Irish retailers, installers and enthusiasts to understand the technology that makes UHD possible, and what it will mean for their viewing experience.”

http://www.iptv-news.com/2015/02/4k-demo-channel-hits-uk-and-ireland/
    ASTRA 28.2 East
    Frequency: 12.441 V
    Symbol Rate: 29500
    FEC: 3/4
    DVB-S2 8PSK
    VPID 210
    APID 220 (AAC Stereo)
    NID 2
    TSID 2038
    PCR PID 210
    PMT PID 257
    Video: approx 16 MBps
    Audio: 96 kbps AAC
    Service name: Astra UHD Demo

http://www.astra2sat.com/ultra-hd-4k/

http://www.astra2sat.com/astra-uhd-demo-channel-at-28-2-east/

and on the official site:
    ASTRA 28.2 E
    Transponder: 2.038
    Frequency : 12.441 GHz
    Polarisation: Vertical
    Symbol Rate : 29.5 MS/s
    DVB-S2
    Modulation: QPSK
    FEC: 3/4

http://www.onastra.com/16847731/ultra-hd
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member

How inaccurate is the rest of it - - really? Will it appear on the freesat EPG - I don't think so - there are no UHD freesat receivers to add it to.

As always, journalists make up most of their articles, it's rare to get anything even vaguely accurate.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could appear on the new LG freesat TVs?

It could be part of the LG/freesat deal.
    Forum Member
    ds_reader wrote: »
    It could appear on the new LG freesat TVs?

It could be part of the LG/freesat deal.

Unlikely, as it's nothing whatsoever to do with Freesat, merely a 4K test by SES/Astra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlikely, as it's nothing whatsoever to do with Freesat, merely a 4K test by SES/Astra.

Not if the channel is selected from the freesat EPG!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are there not rules on what channels can appear on the EPG, and would SES really want to pay EPG fees for such a channel, i would say unlikely.

This is just some reporter that doesn't understand satellite, as the test is at 28.2E on Astra2, they have obviously put 2 & 2 together, as they know that's where the Freesat channels are, and assumed this is something to do with Freesat, whereas the truth is, it is just a broadcast from the same set of satellites.
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless author Chris Forrester has seen the feed personally? Here's an article from February by a different site's writer, Thomas Campbell,

That article is based entirely on and consists mainly of direct quotes from SES's own press release from February 12. Chris Forrester should have played safe and done the same.
    http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2015/20604832

Incidentally, Astra2Sat's website incorrectly states the modulation as 8PSK - it should be QPSK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there not rules on what channels can appear on the EPG, and would SES really want to pay EPG fees for such a channel, i would say unlikely.

LG could be paying with SES's permission!
    Forum Member

On a non-existent 4K receiver :p

Who on earth would imagine such a thing?, based purely on an imaginary story from a journalist?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a non-existent 4K receiver :p

Who on earth would imagine such a thing?, based purely on an imaginary story from a journalist?.

LG UHD TVs can receive and decode SES UHD broadcasts!
    Forum Member
    LG UHD TVs can receive and decode SES UHD broadcasts!

Again, you're basing your 'wild guess' on a made up story by a completely non-technical journalist :p

And why on earth would a demo channel wish to pay Freesat to appear on their EPG on a potentially VERY tiny number of LG sets that don't even exist yet?. Such channels are essentially 'proof of concept', and not intended for public viewing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And why on earth would a demo channel wish to pay Freesat to appear on their EPG on a potentially VERY tiny number of LG sets that don't even exist yet?. Such channels are essentially 'proof of concept', and not intended for public viewing.

So that LG customers can access UHD Dsat content via an EPG on their UHD TVs!

UHD TV sales seem to be important to LG, the EPG fee would be trivial amount to LG.
    Forum Member

UHD TV sales seem to be important to LG, the EPG fee would be trivial amount to LG.

You can imagine what you like, but it's NOT going to happen :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I e-mailed Freesat (customerteam@freesat.co.uk) on your behalf, and this was their (as i expected response - although they obviously never read it properly, as they state it is only at 19.2E, then again, the article wasn't clear, as it goes on about 19.2E, and only mentions 28.2 when it says Freesat is there), do you now accept it is not happening?
    Freesat wrote:
    Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the email only specifies that the UHD content is active on ASTRA 19.2 where as the Freesat service operates on ASTRA 2D at 28.2E, furthermore, the article incorrectly states that it is part of the Freesat channel collection which in this case wrong, it is more likely to be part of the collection of channels known as "Free-to-air" but those channels may not neccessarily be on our Freesat service.

Freesat currently does not offer any access to UHD content as none of the channels we provide access to have UHD content at this point in time.
  • tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    a number of high end 4k sets now have built in satellite tuners so yes theese uhd feeds can be viewed without any need for other receivers !....you do need to manually tune and will not show up in freesat mode though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can imagine what you like, but it's NOT going to happen :p

NOT as in never... Never is a very long time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I e-mailed Freesat (customerteam@freesat.co.uk) on your behalf, and this was their (as i expected response - although they obviously never read it properly, as they state it is only at 19.2E, then again, the article wasn't clear, as it goes on about 19.2E, and only mentions 28.2 when it says Freesat is there), do you now accept it is not happening?

Why did YOU do that... They don't what's happening next week let alone next month or next year!?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did YOU do that... They don't what's happening next week let alone next month or next year!?!

Let me see, it cost me nothing, and took about 20 seconds, so why not?

As has already been pointed out to you, the article is incorrect, get over it, or come back and gloat if it happens in the next month!!
    Forum Member
    NOT as in never... Never is a very long time!

OK, if it's make you happy, NOT while Freesat still exists :p

I don't know if you're deliberately trolling or what?, or perhaps you just have a deep belief in fairies? :D
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So they would pay EPG fees so that a few people can see a 20 min or so loop of pictures ? Think even you had a UHD tv the novelty would wear off within a day !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OK, I e-mailed Chris Forrester for you, who wrote the article, and has also confirmed it is not coming to Freesat, is that ok, or am I still wasting my time?
    Chris wrote:
    There’s no confusion on my part. I am well aware of the activity at 19.2 and separately at 28.2. The SES ‘new’ demo channel from 28.2 is not meant for general distribution/viewing but to assist the Retail community.

And from Colin Mann (Managing Editor)
    Colin wrote:
    Hi Chris, et al,

Indeed the article made clear at the outset it was aimed at retailers.

Regards,

Colin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, if it's make you happy, NOT while Freesat still exists :p

What a very silly thing to declare.

So you are predicting freesat will close before dsat uhd channels are broadcast!