A Thread For Anyone, Any Gigs, and A More General Discussion of Everything (Part 4)

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    It seems that everybody's been busy :)

Looking forward to starting your PHD?

Exactly. I am indeed :D I was planning to start after Christmas, but if the professor wants me to start before that then I will. The guy who's gonna be my supervisor is very high profile so he's a good one to work with. L.A. is still my friend though :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,961
    Forum Member
    I've just been to my local spar and they're selling Xmas stuff already. Ugh! Ridiculous timing. In December, yes but September?! Really?

Off topic, I know.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have just covered some music trivia in the No Hollyoaks Saturday thread in the Soaps section. Ironically, there have been more music-related posts there than here tonight!
    Forum Member
    I've got my meeting with the professor at 2. Hopefully it'll be good news.
    Forum Member
    Evening.

Hows your day been? I'm watching "Pretty Little Liars" and drinking some cider whilst waiting for dinner to finish cooking.

This is my new TV addiction. :) I'm a box set junkie.

I've got my meeting with the professor at 2. Hopefully it'll be good news.

Here's hoping :)
    Forum Member
    Meeting was a success! He wants a proposal within the next few days. My law school is also offering two scholarships for new PhD students, worth €16,000 a year for 4 years :D
    Forum Member
    Meeting was a success! He wants a proposal within the next few days. My law school is also offering two scholarships for new PhD students, worth €16,000 a year for 4 years :D

:) cool

What do you want to do when you've finished your schooling?
    Forum Member
    :) cool

What do you want to do when you've finished your schooling?

Well it's looking like I could be heading for an academic career. If I get the scholarship, I'd be required to give the odd tutorial in my law school, supervise exams, help lecturers with marking, fill in for lecturers if they are away or ill, organise conferences and seminars and publish a few papers. I'd have to do about 120 hours a year of teaching and other duties. It sounds like preparation for an academic career and that means I could end up lecturing in a university, either the one I'm in or a different one, depending on where I can get a job.
    Forum Member
    I've just been looking through old threads and noticed a lot of older DS members usernames popping up like JoshPinder and musicdude.

Where did these people go? They used to post on DS all of the time.
    Forum Member
    musicdude got banned and Josh Pinder posts or used to post mainly in the Madonna Appreciation Thread or any threads on Madonna (his all time fave artist).
    Forum Member
    Listening to Joy William's "Venus" album. :) She has the most beautiful voice.
    musicdude got banned and Josh Pinder posts or used to post mainly in the Madonna Appreciation Thread or any threads on Madonna (his all time fave artist).

I remember that Josh used to post a lot in the Britney & Christina appreciation threads. I remember that he was a big Madonna fan too. :)

I thought that the ban was lifted after a while? Maybe musicdude just decided not to post anymore.
    Forum Member
    Why has this thread disappeared off the radar??
    Forum Member

I've been wondering the same thing, cnbc.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my Queen vinyl boxset at the weekend and been listening ever since. It's the best way to really appreciate their genius.
    Forum Member
    Got my Queen vinyl boxset at the weekend and been listening ever since. It's the best way to really appreciate their genius.

Nothing better than listening to your favourite music. My copy of Ashley Monroe's "The Blade" arrived today. I'm looking forward to adding it to my car.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe it has become less commonplace for people to reply to anyone's posts directly anymore?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing better than listening to your favourite music. My copy of Ashley Monroe's "The Blade" arrived today. I'm looking forward to adding it to my car.

That is an excellent album
    Forum Member
    That is an excellent album

I love it :)
    Forum Member
    I ordered tickets for a concert that takes place this coming Tuesday and the tickets have still not been dispatched. I've contacted the venue but they're telling me to contact the people who I bought tickets from, understandably. Getting no reply from the ticket company on twitter .

It takes a while for things to arrive once they've been dispatched and we can remove Sunday from the possibly delivery days too.

:(
    Forum Member
    Hello? Anyone there?

This thread used to be so active and I've just had to do a thread search to even find it.

What are you all listening to? I've been listening to The Pretty Reckless's new album a lot lately and Brothers Osborne.

One of my absolute favourite artists is coming to the UK next year. i'm gonna be so happy if I manage to get Miranda Lambert tickets. I saw her earlier on this year at Country 2 Country and she was brilliant. I've been a fan of her for years and I can't believe that she's never played in the UK before. Unfortunately the tickets go on sale on days when I'm at work. It's typical that they're putting them on sale on my work days and not my off days.

What have you all been up to?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

My favourite album of the year has to go to Solange- A Seat At The Table. I'm so hoping she tours here next year :)
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My favourite album of the year has to go to Solange- A Seat At The Table. I'm so hoping she tours here next year :)

:) Cool. Haven't spoken to you for at least a year! How are things?

I'm waiting for a pre-sale to start for Miranda Lambert tickets. Hope I get them :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) Cool. Haven't spoken to you for at least a year! How are things?

I'm waiting for a pre-sale to start for Miranda Lambert tickets. Hope I get them :p

Busy in my final year of Uni so everything is somewhat hectic :p hope things are well with you too :)

Good luck, I hope you get the tickets. Last gig I saw as the DMA's when they came to Bristol. Good band very oasis, not a bad gig.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solange isnt my fav album of the year but it deserves the title as "the most surprising album of the year" as i have never liked any of her previous material and I had no interest in any future releases from her. I only checked it out because i was eager to check out some new music and i came across it by chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solange isnt my fav album of the year but it deserves the title as "the most surprising album of the year" as i have never liked any of her previous material and I had no interest in any future releases from her. I only checked it out because i was eager to check out some new music and i came across it by chance.

The less said of her first album I agree. But Sol-angel has it's moments and True is perfection at 7 tracks, Dev Hynes did great work with her. A Seat At The Table for me was worth the almost 4 year drought. Musically, lyricall and emotionally it just resonates and is political without being overbearing. Also you can clearly hear her work influence Beyonce on both Beyonce and furthermore Lemonade.