Options

Online Dating...yet again! Sorry!!

ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

I seem to post every random dating problem I have on here! So, I got rid of the first girl which was good. We still talk but as friends.

And here lies my next problem. I've talked to girls, I've gone so far as to give them my number but I get bored and it all fizzles out after a couple of days when the boredom sets in. I matched with a girl on Tinder, we messaged for a day. Then randomly she told me to add her on Facebook, we flirted, she came across as very forward on FB messenger and at the end of the evening gave me her mobile number to text her and made me promise to the next day.

This was two days ago! Now. I'm very very intrigued by her, she holds my attention and this is the first time I've thought since I broke up with my ex last year...hey! she could be a potential girlfriend!

I text this morning to tell her good luck for a big thing at her work today, we text around lunchtime an awful lot and then it went silent. However how long do I wait before I just chalk another one up to experience? See, I think she's great and this is a total diving in right now thing, but I'd meet her tomorrow if I could!

We haven't text enough to figure out what our texting etiquette is like, but how would you guys play it? Just cool and not reply for hours, wait for her to reply to the message from this afternoon? Dating is a minefield. Oh and I'm well aware I sound like a 12 year old!

Comments

• Options
    CITIZENFOURCITIZENFOUR Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you text them, then it's on them to reply as long as your text warranted a reply. If they don't reply then they're either too flaky for anything longer term or they're not arsed about you. Some things might come up like family stuff or emergencies but even if that happens they would still reply to you at some stage if they're interested. You just have to wait until you get bored and move on, texting again wouldn't be cool imo
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Do I wait x hours before replying to a txt? I don't want to come off as needy." We've all heard this a thousand times.

If someone txts you, reply when you can, whether that's straight away of 10 hours away. Trying to play the 'txt game' is for 14 year olds. There's no golden rule for texting; at least not for adults. Or better yet, call her. It's been less than a day since you texted her and as she had a big thing at work today, she could be out with work colleagues, so I would leave it till tomorrow. Txt her tomorrow and ask how her work thing went. If she doesn't reply, I would knock this one on the head. She's either ignoring you or she's playing 'the txt game' herself, in which case she's too immature for dating.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you text someone straight back as soon as you can and they're put off, then they're not someone you need in your life!
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Why oh WHY (and I'm being serious) are you not secure enough to just chat to people and see what happens? You appear to read stuff into every every little situation?

There's so much drama!

Sadly, you say yourself you get easily bored. So do they. Things have a very slim chance of working out in any meaningful way, yet despite the huge shallow nature of online dating, you're over analyzing every last second of every conversation. Don't bother! :)

Just chill. If you want to online date then just chat, spread your e-seed far and wide and see what happens.

But DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT form any kind of attachment with a person you've just started talking to online - that way insanity lies. Wait until (if) you actually meet them to form a proper opinion. And even then be content in being single so you're not as needy as you honestly appear to be.

Oh and stop playing any kind of games immediately. They are for children.
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news?
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you not just call her on the phone?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's normal to have flurries of text chat and then nothing for a few hours or a day or two. Just text her again either if she texts you, or if you have something interesting to tell her.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I just would not spend so much time texting or Emailing someone. By all means chat a bit but I would prefer calling someone on the phone and arrange a meeting. People LIE all the time on email and dating sites. Often the conversation is racy and exciting and then you find out the person is totally opposite to what you thought you were getting.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really important with online dating to avoid swapping lots of emails/texts, feeling involved with them, and somehow believing that's the relationship up and running before meeting. I always used to think it would be a good idea to 'get to know' someone first before meeting up, but I learned it really isn't - yes swap some emails/texts to make sure they sound 'normal' and find out more about them, but just arrange to meet up fairly quickly if you like the sounds of them as that's the only way you'll know if you are remotely compatible. When you meet up with someone you have to go in to it with the purpose of the meet up being to establish if you have any connection whatsoever, not with the thinking that you've already decided that they are great/relationship material. You really can't get to know someone through emails and texts, so it's pointless faffing around with it for weeks IMO.

I'm not doing online dating anymore but I met plenty of great guys through it (including current boyfriend!). Some of the greatest guys came across as just 'meh' on emails/texts but in person were warm, hilarious, confident, etc. Likewise a guy who seemed really interesting, clever, and chatty on email was like death warmed up in person. I think you have to see it that the aim is to meet up in person before you have any idea what they are like, and anything as a pre-amble to that is just part of the process to arranging the meet up (not the start of any kind of romance). If someone stops replying, only replies once a week, or whatever, then of course follow it up - but be prepared that it might be the sign to move on. Try not to pin any hopes on one particular person - message others as well. I do know that guys have a harder time with online dating and have to message lots of women to get a reply, so I do feel for you there OP but you have to not focus on the only girl you are currently messaging.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but I really do believe you just have to get on with it. If you have other issues which mean meeting up is hard (such an anxiety) then it will be very difficult to tackle dating without addressing that, unless it's something that can be improved the more you push yourself to do things (for some people that strategy works, for others it doesn't).
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just would not spend so much time texting or Emailing someone. By all means chat a bit but I would prefer calling someone on the phone and arrange a meeting. People LIE all the time on email and dating sites. Often the conversation is racy and exciting and then you find out the person is totally opposite to what you thought you were getting.

I agree. I surprised myself that I jumped in feet first with online dating. I had messaged a guy a few times and he said how about meeting then. I thought it was too soon but decided to go for it and glad I did. That one didn't work out (he was a lovely guy but just not for me) but it gave me the confidence to keep going. 3rd guy I met after 4 days of sending a few messages back and forth, was I think successful. It will be 2 months in a couple of days and we became "official" after 4 weeks of dating.

If you keep the messaging thing up too long it tends to just fizzle out or as you say you build up a picture of someone and they often aren't what you thought.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TobyS wrote: »
    "Do I wait x hours before replying to a txt? I don't want to come off as needy." We've all heard this a thousand times.

If someone txts you, reply when you can, whether that's straight away of 10 hours away. Trying to play the 'txt game' is for 14 year olds. There's no golden rule for texting; at least not for adults.

THIS.

No idea how old you are, but I'm mid 20s and if I starting seeing someone who starting doing the whole text game/power thing I'd not bother with them. It's so immature, adults just talk if they want to talk and don't if they don't. That is really it.
  • Options
    ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God, this thread is back!

It's amazing how things have changed in what...10 days? I've stopped with online dating. I've realised I'm actually just doing what everyone else wants me to do by looking for new people when I should be concentrating on myself and what makes me happy.

Although, thank you for all your opinions. I was like a child ten days ago! And yes, I'm still talking to the same girl, and I've met her, and told her we'll be friends. It was nice!