Options

New set up and now No Signal

ElementaireElementaire Posts: 136
Forum Member
Help!

I've just removed a VCR and DVD Player and replaced them with a DVD recorder. (Previous set up was done by Sky installer). I'm pretty sure I've connected everything up ok - but now I get No Satellite Signal on my Sky+ box.
Do you think all the moving of the TV/boxes/leads around had upset my Sky+ box?! It always has been a little sensitive :rolleyes:

My current set up is Phillips Digital TV with two scart sockets.
One Scart lead from TV scart on Sky+ box to Phillips DVD recorder. One Scart lead from DVD Recorder to TV. External aerial lead to DVD recorder and an aerial connection between DVD recorder and TV.

Have I missed something obvious?

Any advice before I confess all to an (expensive) Sky engineer?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you checked the DVD recorder settings - gone are the good old days of VHS when everything went straight through.

You can turn on and off every input/output on my recorder. It's probably something obvious you will kick yourself for later though.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Clearly the DVD/TV wiring is OK, or you wouldn't see that no signal is being received!

Check that the sattelite cables are screwed securely in and then unplug SKY+ from the mains for a few mins and plug it back in..
  • Options
    zestfulmasszestfulmass Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you disconnected the signal leads from your box take them off and make sure when you put them back on you didn't crush the copper centre core. This is what carries your signal and it needs to be pushed into the membrane in the boxes connectors.
    And if I were you I'd re-do your scart leads.

TV scart to TV (Obviously)
    VCR scart to dvd Recorder (Obviously)
    VCR scart to TV AV2

Make sure your sky box is on AV1 Or if phillips as you say EXT1 as this probably carries RGB picture format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies. Yes had tried the power down/switch off but still no joy. Now does try searching for listings but returns to No Satellite Signal. Also the time on the Sky box is now an hour ahead.
    Also tried removing the DVD recorder completely so just TV and Sky+ box but still No Signal.
    Have checked the cables too (although they weren't touched during the move to the new equipment).

Sorry zesfulmass, I don't quite get the scart lead scenario you're suggesting, you have the VCR scart (from the Sky+ box?) going to two different places?
  • Options
    RustpotRustpot Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zestfulmass is suggesting you use three scart leads rather than the daisy chain you describe using two.

Unplug everything from power.

Link the tv (AV1) to SKY Box (TV socket) directly with scart
    Link the DVD recorder directly to the other scart socket in the Sky Box.

Now you have to link a scart or component cable from DVD recorder to TV (AV2)

Check the sat cables are secure in back of SKY box. Tighten as necessary.

Turn on power to everything SKY box will reboot. Set TV to view AV1 and you should get a picture.

It seems unlikely that anything will have got broken in swapping boxes about.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I've connected everything up ok - but now I get No Satellite Signal on my Sky+ box.
    You can safely ignore everything apart from the Sky Digibox, the dish, the LNB and the LNB cable. Nothing else can cause this message.

Start by swapping the two LNB connections at the back of the Digibox (with power switched off temporarily at the wall socket). If that makes no difference, try connecting a different Digibox. (If you can't/won't buy or borrow one, the only recourse is to call out a Sky installer.) If the problem remains with the second Digibox, the fault lies with your Dish, LNB or cable.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you uncouple the 2 leads from the dish to the Sky+ box whilst setting up
    the new set up

I personally would chop off the last inch of these cables and re make them , details here

How to make up F connectors

You have connected the 2 feeds from the dish
    to the Sky+ box ? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elementaire

Ignore other set up suggestions, yours is the correct one
    Sky TV scart ---> DVDR AV2
    DVDR AV1 ---> TV AV1
    Set all to RGB for best picture - this cannot be achieved with suggestions that
    a) link the DVDr from the Sky VCR scart
    b) connecting the DVDr to a non RGB scart on the TV

As was suggested earlier, if you can see the message re no signal then there is nothing wrong with your set up. This is purely a message from the sky box telling you that something is wrong with either
    a) signal
    b) connection from dish to box
    c) hardware problem with box/LNB etc

Scorp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I just had my Sky+HD installed last week and I've got a dreadful reception - about 30% signal strength and 0-20% signal quality. Today, one of the inputs to the Sky+HD is not even locked. The original Sky+, which is now on multi-room is a bit better, but still not great. I'm getting signal dropouts quite frequently, and a few failed or part recorded programmes. Spend 60GBP on a new installation and end up with a worse signal...great:mad:
  • Options
    zestfulmasszestfulmass Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the dish if both boxes are showing similar symptoms.
    maybe the engineer did a pretty bad job of changing the LNB of something!?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the dish if both boxes are showing similar symptoms.
    maybe the engineer did a pretty bad job of changing the LNB of something!?!

It was dark and pouring with rain when he did it, but the HD box seems to be suffering worst. Neither box has as good a signal as the Sky+ had prior to the 'upgrade'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorpio wrote: »
    Elementaire

Ignore other set up suggestions, yours is the correct one
    Sky TV scart ---> DVDR AV2
    DVDR AV1 ---> TV AV1
    Set all to RGB for best picture - this cannot be achieved with suggestions that
    a) link the DVDr from the Sky VCR scart
    b) connecting the DVDr to a non RGB scart on the TV

As was suggested earlier, if you can see the message re no signal then there is nothing wrong with your set up. This is purely a message from the sky box telling you that something is wrong with either
    a) signal
    b) connection from dish to box
    c) hardware problem with box/LNB etc

Scorp

Thanks Scorp, yes the setup seems to work fine, picture colour/quality telling me there's no signal is great! My guess is that it's the box itself, hopefully engineer is coming tomorrow.

Can't believe I'm going to miss the first episode of Lost - is it on Sky Anytime at the moment does anyone know? So I might be able to watch it when we get Sky back?:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its also likely to be on the PC Skyplayer
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T
    Can't believe I'm going to miss the first episode of Lost - is it on Sky Anytime at the moment does anyone know? So I might be able to watch it when we get Sky back?:(

Lots of Lost on Anytime , but season 5 will be added overnight after it as been aired most likely .

Its on again on ( Episode 1&2 )

Tomorrow at 10:00pm on Sky Two
    Tuesday 27th January at 10:00pm on Sky One
    Saturday 31st January at 10:00pm on Sky Two
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All fixed. I wasn't there so don't know full details. Box had crashed, needed a forced software download and something or other. Sounds like the sort of thing we might been able to do ourselves?

Big relief, no Lost on my Anytime yet but recorded it on Sky2 last night so all is well.

Thank you to everyone who replied. :)