Peaky Blinders 9.00pm BBC2

Comments

• CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Must admit I found the music annoying, could they have comissioned music to be more of the period?.

Music from 1919 would be in the public domain and therefore free to use. Still, it's probably more costly researching and sourcing suitable music from that period than paying some fool with a Fender Stratocaster to make a god awful racket! :D
  • ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be labouring under the common misconception that we all barrel around with a 'AVP Spall-esque' dialect and either wannabe togevva or sit in the gardin
    ...ar, suppin' a kipper tie. :rolleyes: Urgh, Timothy Spall has A LOT to answer for. I've never forgiven him for making people think everyone within a 50 mile radius of The Bull Ring is brain dead and boring. :mad:

As the "City of 1000 Trades" Birmingham would have been a very cosmopolitan city so it's totally believable that you would have heard accents from all round the UK, Ireland and Europe.
    tiltonland wrote: »
    Being a Brummie I was looking forward to this and I quite enjoyed it,,,,for an actor the Birmingham accent must be a nightmare, it's nothing like the Black country accent so often portrayed on TV and not as clear cut as say a cockney or scouse dialect,,overall verdict,,,,,,,,,"bostin"
    No, to my ear Equity Brummie is nearer the South Birmingham accent, especially those Brummies trying to act posher than they really are, I find! :D The Black Country accent is a lot sharper, more guttural and gruff, like Adrian Chiles.
    JordanDS wrote: »
    Lots of Liverpool locations in this.
    Yes, they took advantage of those old style terraced houses in Liverpool that were due to be demolished, because there's nothing like that in the Birmingham area any more. Goodness knows what they'll do if they film another series because I think they've knocked those houses down now!

I hope this series gets a good following. It's rare to see any programme set in Brum, never mind bringing to life such a little-known part of the city's history.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    ValW wrote: »
    ...ar, suppin' a kipper tie. :rolleyes: Urgh, Timothy Spall has A LOT to answer for. I've never forgiven him for making people think everyone within a 50 mile radius of The Bull Ring is brain dead and boring. :mad:

As the "City of 1000 Trades" Birmingham would have been a very cosmopolitan city so it's totally believable that you would have heard accents from all round the UK, Ireland and Europe.

No, to my ear Equity Brummie is nearer the South Birmingham accent, especially those Brummies trying to act posher than they really are, I find! :D The Black Country accent is a lot sharper, more guttural and gruff, like Adrian Chiles.

Yes, they took advantage of those old style terraced houses in Liverpool that were due to be demolished, because there's nothing like that in the Birmingham area any more. Goodness knows what they'll do if they film another series because I think they've knocked those houses down now!

I hope this series gets a good following. It's rare to see any programme set in Brum, never mind bringing to life such a little-known part of the city's history.

I couldn't agree more. I thought it was brilliant, really dramatic, exciting even !! I can't remember another programme that showed my home city in such an interesting light. Hope it does well. Didn't see it advertised much so hope people will notice it at 9pm on Thursdays on BBC2 :D
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enjoyable enough

apart from that bloody aweful singer/singing

could they not have got someone who sounded even vaguely like Marie Lloyd
    instead of catawalling like an xfactor contestant
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    jj2 wrote: »
    In Real life BSA workers sold guns to the IRA during the Irish War of Independence in the 1920's , so that part of the story is based on fact

Apparently they leaked back across the water out of the Police's hands too.
    A series of tit-for-tat shootings broke out, making the Whitechapel streets of 1907 a dangerous place to be. With guns in plentiful supply – many were looted from the Irish police, who bore arms but were notoriously lax about protecting them – it dispels the myth that firearms only came into London crime in the sixties.
    Oh for a character people wouldn't believe existed, see Ikey Bogard.
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just finished reading " The Flame and the Candle " war in mayo 1919 - 1924 , Which includes a chapter describing how the Mayo IRA when to Birmingham and bought guns directly from workers at BSA and smuggled them back to Ireland
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    moondew wrote: »
    This is ludicrous - there's no sign of a Brummie accent, and they've even got a Rastafarian in it. Did Rastas even exist in 1919 :confused: Even if they did, would there have been any living in Birmingham?
    That was rather silly and let's face it, he was only there because he is a CURRENT Birmingham personality.
    *marv* wrote: »
    Are you someone who believes the brummie accent is the Black Country accent that those from Wolverhampton use? Birmingham has many accents from all over the UK, and has its own core accent far different from the Black Country Drawl.

I would say a Birmingham accent is more closely linked to the Liverpool accent than it is the Black Country accent due to the Canal routes.
    The Canal route to Liverpool would be through the Black Country
    jj2 wrote: »
    In Real life BSA workers sold guns to the IRA during the Irish War of Independence in the 1920's , so that part of the story is based on fact
    Traitors
    ValW wrote: »
    There are many different Black Country accents.

As a drama I thought it was fine. However, to pretend that this gang ruled a part of Birmingham is ridiculous.

How could they recruit special constables from Ireland. Special constables do not get paid.

The Chief Constable of Birmingham would have had no problem in recruiting officers in 1919 when hundreds of thousands of ex soldiers would be looking for work.

This gang were never the threat that this drama pretends that they were.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moondew wrote: »
    It probably does, but did any Jamaicans have locks in 1919? And were there any Jamaicans living in Brum at that time - I don't think it's very likely.

Yeah, there were some Jamaicans, and from other islands in the West Indies, in Brum. Mainly men, I'm told, who fought in WW1 and stayed on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Apart from the scouse accents, it was pretty good!
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treetop wrote: »
    Apart from the scouse accents, it was pretty good!

When I moved from Brum to London lots of people asked me what part of Liverpool I was from. Maybe I'll get round to visiting Liverpool one day.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed this, especially the style and setting. I found all the different accents a little difficult to get to grips with at first but got into it, and, although I like Sam Neill, I do wish they'd cast a real Irish actor instead as there are plenty of fine ones around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    When I moved from Brum to London lots of people asked me what part of Liverpool I was from. Maybe I'll get round to visiting Liverpool one day.

There is a difference between the two accents, some nailed it on this show and some didn't.
  • marobbymarobby Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed this, especially the style and setting. I found all the different accents a little difficult to get to grips with at first but got into it, and, although I like Sam Neill, I do wish they'd cast a real Irish actor instead as there are plenty of fine ones around.

Sam Neill is originally from Norn Iron
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only criticism was the stereotypical Irish barmaid who turned up and made the bar room bruisers swoon with her music hall singing. It felt a little too much like stepping into Mills and Boon territory for my liking, but the rest I couldn't find fault with. The West Indian (?) preacher was jarring, but not necessarily inauthentic.

I thought that too about the Irish barmaid supposedly from Galway. She didn't fit in she looked like someone from the early 1970s with her hairstyle to be honest even though they were approaching the 1920s.

The accents were awful too. Killian's wasn't too bad but I noticed the aunt and the sister's accent. One minute the aunt sounded like she was from Dublin and then the next Birmingham and the sister sounded as if she was from Liverpool.
  • J B OddsocksJ B Oddsocks Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it enough to give it another go next week. I could even forgive the Paisleyesque opening speech by Sam Neill. But the execution scene, a shot to the back of the head and no facial damage and the Italians bought it :rolleyes:
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammoon1 wrote: »

I thought that too and he is from N.Ireland which makes it even worse. His accent sounded so fake. One minute he sounded like Jim McDonald from Corrie and the next
    Jimmy Ellis from the run of the Billy plays which were shown late 1970s early 1980s
    Liam Neeson would have been an ideal candidate for this role. Surprised they didn't try and give the role to Jimmy Nesbitt. Somehow I don't think it would have worked
    Forum Member
    marobby wrote: »
    Sam Neill is originally from Norn Iron

I didn't realise he was from Northern Ireland. Always thought he was a New Zealander as I've never seen in him anything with an Irish accent. Sorries.:o - still didn't like his accent though!
    Forum Member
    julie2009 wrote: »
    I thought that too and he is from N.Ireland which makes it even worse. His accent sounded so fake. One minute he sounded like Jim McDonald from Corrie and the next
    Jimmy Ellis from the run of the Billy plays which were shown late 1970s early 1980s
    Liam Neeson would have been an ideal candidate for this role. Surprised they didn't try and give the role to Jimmy Nesbitt. Somehow I don't think it would have worked

Yes, Liam Neeson would have been great. Jimmy Nesbitt never looks nasty enough to me to play anything like that, although he has been in some fairly dark stuff. Gabriel Byrne might have been good as he has a nicely cold face.:eek:
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    The West Indian looked like Benjamin Zephaniah to me, he's a famous Brummie isn't he?

I think you mean Lenny Henry.:D
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked it something decent on mid-week,, Can`t wait for Boardwalk as well
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonw wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, Rastafarianism started in the 1930s.
    There's evidence suggesting that the Cents wore their hair in locks . Wearing hair in that style isn't the exclusive to Rastafari. Many other cultures have locked hair. How do you think people managed before combs were invented :D
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Capablanca wrote: »
    Music from 1919 would be in the public domain and therefore free to use.

Yes, rather than Black Sabbath's grandad.

But aside from that, a quite promising start, with good acting and characterisation.

BTW, loved all the explosive doings at night; proof of the notorious Birmingham Fart Lighters? :D
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Very atmospheric so I quite enjoyed it but...

the female spy was far too pretty and the flat caps looked American rather than British and we didn't need to be told where Birmingham is.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate the name.