Options

The Rockford Files returns to BBC2

Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Rockford Files returns to BBC2 week commencing Mon. 13th October. Not sure what season/series it is, but it's a great show. Here are the scheduled times:-

MON, 13TH - FRI. 18TH - 2.15-3.00pm except WED. 15TH - 2.15-3.00pm, Scotland 2.45-3.30pm.

:cool:

Comments

• Options
    xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news, one of my all time faves! Looks like it's starting with Season 5 from 1978 beginning with eps 01 Heartaches of a Fool and then Rosendahl and Gilda Stern Are Dead and so on.

Thanks for the heads up. :D
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the annoying thing is they are showing it from season 5 so i will wait for season 1.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad was a big fan of the Rockford Files so we always watched it. It helped that Gretchen Corbett (Beth Davenport) had great tits but I think she left at the end of series 4.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I love The Rockford Files.

Though over 120 episodes were made and it seems to me that a relatively small number keep getting re-shown.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they bring back the 70's logo for BBC2 also
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed James Garner in this role, plus all the other regulars incl. Joe Santos as the policeman and Noah Beery as Rocky.
  • Options
    Simon_Morris2Simon_Morris2 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Well I must say the synopsis of the episode on Monday sounds thrilling
    'Jim investigates when a truckload of sausages overturns'

Guess I'll give that one a miss :)
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A classic theme tune as well.Up there with 'Hill Street Blues', 'Taxi' and 'St Elsewhere'.^_^
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It's all about Chinese Triads though :o it should go off with a 'banger'!;-)
  • Options
    CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    The Rockford Files returns to BBC2 week commencing Mon. 13th October. Not sure what season/series it is, but it's a great show. Here are the scheduled times:-

MON, 13TH - FRI. 18TH - 2.15-3.00pm except WED. 15TH - 2.15-3.00pm, Scotland 2.45-3.30pm.

According to Digiguide it will be season 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually the stories were never "thrilling" in comparison to many American police/detective series - moreso character studies, quirks and general nonsense made IMO great viewing (and an alternative to car chases and gunfights - although to be fair the series did contain those too).

John Dough wrote: »
    A classic theme tune as well.Up there with 'Hill Street Blues', 'Taxi' and 'St Elsewhere'.^_^

All time favourite American tv series theme tune, along with Starsky & Hutch (not the original tune, the 2nd one), Kojak (again not the original theme, the 2nd one). Not forgetting The Streets Of San Francisco, The Persuaders, Ellery Queen, Cannon etc... :)

:D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed James Garner in this role, plus all the other regulars incl. Joe Santos as the policeman and Noah Beery as Rocky.

What about Stuart Margolin as "|Angel" Martin??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    What about Stuart Margolin as "|Angel" Martin??

I loved Angel.

Quiz question. What was Angel's real first name? Without googling! :)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved Angel.

Quiz question. What was Angel's real first name? Without googling! :)

Sorry I had to google to find out his real surname :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angel's "real" first name was Evelyn!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:) There's something to be said for a show that gives you a mix of Triads, sausages and country music. Willie Nelson did the singing voice of the country singer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Week commencing MONDAY 20th-FRI. 24th:-

MON-FRI. 2.15-3.00pm. :)
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see The Rockford Files in glorious HD. Like all series filmed on 35mm (which, of course, has four times the definition of any domestic HD system), this should look like it was shot yesterday, given good source material. Unfortunately, in the eighties many US shows (notably Star Trek The Next Generation) were compromised by being shot on 35mm but then transferred to NTSC video tape for editing and effects, with a massive degradation in picture quality, though considered adequate for 525 line SD TV sets of the era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see The Rockford Files in glorious HD. Like all series filmed on 35mm (which, of course, has four times the definition of any domestic HD system), this should look like it was shot yesterday, given good source material. Unfortunately, in the eighties many US shows (notably Star Trek The Next Generation) were compromised by being shot on 35mm but then transferred to NTSC video tape for editing and effects, with a massive degradation in picture quality, though considered adequate for 525 line SD TV sets of the era.

Yes the quality of picture is rather good isn't it - and must say I am enjoying the show without any ad breaks! Takes you back to when it was originally screened - Mondays at 8.10-9.00pm on BBC1 was it?!
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember the original Dallas switched over mid- 80's to NTSC, and even as a teen, I knew it made the series sets look overly lit and tacky.Always felt that part of the ratings drop was attributed to this.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fantastic :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode with Tom Selleck as Lance White was terrific.

Yesterday we had Ed Harris with long, blond hair (admittedly thinning).

All in all it's great stuff.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always liked The Rockford Files.

The BBC could do with showing a few more US drama shows in the afternoons, it'd make a "refreshing change from cookery and quizzes."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Week commencing Mon. 27th-Fri. 31st:-

THE ROCKFORD FILES continues on BBC2 at 2.15-3.00pm every day except on Wednesday on BBC2 Scotland where the show does not screen at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Rockford Files this week because of tennis but it returns next Monday (17/11/14) at 15:45 with the last episode of season 5, then goes into season 6.