Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Quite happy to see Whithouse back but not particularly enthused by Chibnall. He'll have to go a long way to impress me after his shambolic last 3 offerings. Am I the only one who had hoped for a bit of new blood in the writing staff this year instead of just Roberts, Gatiss, Chibnall, Whithouse over and over? There's plenty of new talent out there surely?
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened to the episode Stephen Fry was writing ? I know it was delayed/cancelled for budgetery reasons but is there any reason it can't be reserected ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorkjacksn wrote: »
    Quite happy to see Whithouse back but not particularly enthused by Chibnall. He'll have to go a long way to impress me after his shambolic last 3 offerings. Am I the only one who had hoped for a bit of new blood in the writing staff this year instead of just Roberts, Gatiss, Chibnall, Whithouse over and over? There's plenty of new talent out there surely?

John Fay (who is supposedly writing an episode) is new to DW though of course he has done Torchwood.

There are still 4 or 5 episodes unaccounted for so we may get some other new names.
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the episode Stephen Fry was writing ? I know it was delayed/cancelled for budgetery reasons but is there any reason it can't be reserected ?

It would have to be totally rewritten for a new Doctor and companion and I guess Stephen Fry is just too busy.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    lol Granny, it might also depend on the wind direction:D

And on cars backfiring at crucial moments. ;)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't like any of Whithouse's previous episodes prior to last series; I felt hey had a terrible, smug tone. But his contribution last series was good. Hopefully he has a handle on the show now because before he seemed uncertain about the tone of the show; when characters should make jokes, when they should be serious etc.

Chibnall: I didn't like '42'; too much running around and shouting and not enough actual story. I thought his Silurians story was decent, although the ending was too easy. But i think he has talent there to be unlocked.

I don't watch Torchwood, so i'm not famailiar with John Fay, How were his episodes of that received?

I'm also hoping for some new writers to keep it fresh. Then again, last series was so solid, episode upon episode, that you couldn't blame Moffat for sticking, more or less, with the same people.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yay! Toby Whithouse's The God Complex was my favourite of Series 6 and Chibnall's 42 was one of my all-time favourite episodes. I enjoyed the Silurian two-parter as well, so good news all around! :D

What's with all the Chris Chibnall hate? I really liked 42 and I fail to see what was so bad about The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood. :(
  • Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »

Moffat probably doesn't need another hefty celeb re-writing job like Gaiman's.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see what was so bad about The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood. :(

Have you seen Doctor Who and the Silurians? It's the same thing but about a million times better than the recent ones.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lazlo Wolf wrote: »

The Fry script has been dead for a long time. He told RTD he didn't have time to do a complete rewrite, which taking out Rose and putting in the companions of the day would have involved.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was rumoured that Stephen Fry's episode involved King Arthur and, with Merlin coming along, they just didn't bother developing it any further.

No doubt the episode would have shown that Arthur really did exist and probably was an alien!! :D
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love how you've taken a stray quote there and made fiction from it. Nice going.

I agree though. Doctor Who doesn't need amateur writers like Neil Gaiman. It needs people who have done great things, like Toby Whithouse.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gaiman's not a 'celeb', he's only one of the finest and most-respected SF/fantasy writers there is. A million light years away from Stephen Fry.
  • Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I've started a new thread on the Gaiman/Fry issue.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Series 7 Information.
  • DavidusDavidus Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Sylvester McCoy has to return in a starring role!

How about as The Master!!!! :) :eek:
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one was extremly disappointed by series 6 it became the river song show so i stopped watching,however i will be watching the first episode of series 7 to see whether it plucks my interest again.My opinion is if river song is so popular why not make a spin off like they did with sarah jane and seeing as now that is finished its perfect timing for a spin off,leaving doctor who to focus on the doctor and the monsters and aliens,and the river song show to be about her and her adventures aswell as guest appearences by the doctor of course.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I wish they would get Graeme Harper back to do some directing duties :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_120209_01/Filming_the_New_Series
    It's almost time. New monsters are becoming real, old friends are returning to Cardiff and somewhere in Wales, a tweed jacket is being taken from its hanger and lovingly dusted off. It can only mean one thing... Filming on the new series of Doctor Who begins on 20 February, 2012!

The first director to shout 'action' will be the award-winning Saul Metzstein whose previous credits include Micro Men (starring Alexander Armstrong and Martin Freeman), the critically acclaimed Late Night Shopping and BBC Wales' Upstairs Downstairs. For the very first time, Doctor Who will be produced at the new BBC Roath Lock Studios in Cardiff, which officially open in March. The production team includes Steven Moffat (Executive Producer and lead writer), Caroline Skinner (Executive Producer) and Marcus Wilson (Producer).
    The new series will see Matt Smith return as the Doctor in what Steven Moffat has described as 'the biggest, the best and the most ambitious season we've ever made'. Karen Gillan (Amy) and Arthur Darvill (Rory) are both back, for what will be their final voyage with the Doctor - a thrilling rollercoaster ride which will culminate in a heart-breaking farewell to the Ponds. But there will be more shocks, surprises and adventures to come when the Doctor meets a new friend, in the last very place he could ever have expected...
    And yes! We've been promised the return of some old monsters, but some new and terrifying ones lie in wait for the Doctor...
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I wish they would get Graeme Harper back to do some directing duties :(

Agreed. I forgot how many episodes he directed between series 2-4 and the specials. I'd love to see him do a great scary two-parter.

I'd like to see new writers, but would be thrilled to see a classic series writer back. Maybe not someone as old school as Terrance Dicks, but maybe someone from the McCoy era (which feels closest to the revived series). Especially a season 26 writer. Perhaps even Ben Aaronovitch or Marc Platt.

I kind of hope Gareth Roberts doesn't do one, though I have to say I do like The Lodger, but mainly because it was a great showcase for Matt. Maybe if he did a more classic series type story, otherwise give him a rest.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    The title of episode 2 "would stop the heart of a lesser man" according to the latest DWM Production Notes.

"Revenge of the Taran Wood Beast", it is, then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    The title of episode 2 "would stop the heart of a lesser man" according to the latest DWM Production Notes.

"Revenge of the Taran Wood Beast", it is, then.

Or maybe "The Return of Mel Bush" :)
    Forum Member
    Or maybe "The Return of Mel Bush" :)

Now, that would stop my heart, in all the right ways. Do the right thing, Mr Moffat! :D

Did you know that the Sixth Doctor and Mel met the Quarks in an unseen adventure (according to one of the novels)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    Now, that would stop my heart, in all the right ways. Do the right thing, Mr Moffat! :D

Did you know that the Sixth Doctor and Mel met the Quarks in an unseen adventure (according to one of the novels)?

Well, of course I knew that, because my Quark, Dodo, told me!

(In real life, no I didn't know that:D Who came off worse?)
    Forum Member
    Well, of course I knew that, because my Quark, Dodo, told me!

(In real life, no I didn't know that:D Who came off worse?)

I suspected Dodo may have mentioned it! I've no idea what happened - it was only mentioned in passing. I seem to recall giant wasps were involved, too, or maybe that was another unseen romp!
This discussion has been closed.