Are you sad the Commonwealth Games are (nearly) over?

13»

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Yes but does Iceland have Kylie? :blush:

Hundreds of them. And Dwaynes. And Chardonnays.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went up for two events last week. It was a bit of a homecoming as I once lived in Glasgow - my how the place has changed! It was a great thing to be there. I hope people there hold onto this good vibe feeling for as long as possible.

As the lady just said on tv - it's a bittersweet pleasure to pass on to Gold Coast in 2018.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Imagine being a football hater during the world cup. For over a month it was like torture at work and when I was nominated a team( I think it was Argentina) to discuss in some team building exercise, I declared, " I haven't got a clue". I didn't even watch England play.
    However, the Commonwealth Games have been good as there are a variety of sports and England have done well.

So how were you able to cut the ropes the were holding you to the burning stake?
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Watched a bit of the closing ceremony, kylie was fantastic, as she always is :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I went up for two events last week. It was a bit of a homecoming as I once lived in Glasgow - my how the place has changed! It was a great thing to be there. I hope people there hold onto this good vibe feeling for as long as possible.

As the lady just said on tv - it's a bittersweet pleasure to pass on to Gold Coast in 2018.

Living in Glasgow has been brilliant for the past 11 days. I moaned before it started about road closures and games lanes but the atmosphere has been brilliant. I know lots of people who volunteered and they had a ball too. I don't mind admitting I had a tear in my during Caledonia too. :D
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've posted this elsewhere but I think it's appropriate to put it here too....

First of all, let me say that I was one of the ones who actually really enjoyed the opening ceremony but, for me, tonight's closing ceremony was a bit of a damp squib.
    Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it and it still made me immensely proud to be from this fine city but I expected more tonight. It was basically just a glorified Kylie Minogue concert. I like Kylie and I appreciate that she was representing the handover to Australia, but her whole segment just dominated it too much.

There were many parts tonight that I loved - Kylie (despite my feelings above, I did enjoy her performances), Dougie McLean singing "Caledonia", one of my favourite songs, the touching changing over of the flag and the poignant "Auld lang Syne" at the end.

And, of course, there were some parts that I didn't like at all - mainly the Gold Coast promotion. It was awful. The girl who was singing - sorry, miming - during this part was just too cheesy and the whole thing with the presenters 'coming out of the screens' was embarrassing to watch. It was just lame and went on far too long. At one point, I thought I'd accidentally switched over to the Travel Channel. It just didn't feel heartfelt at all.

Also, no Proclaimers???? Why!? I would have loved them to close the ceremony with a raucous rendition of "500 Miles".
    I was also expecting the final fireworks display to be a bit more spectacular.

However, overall, I have loved these Games from start to finish. They have been so important to Glasgow and everyone involved has strived so hard to make this whole experience something worth remembering for the athletes, spectators and fans alike. And I don't think they've disappointed.
    The volunteers and 'Clydesiders' have been magnificent.
    It might sound cheesy but the people really do make Glasgow. I am so proud to come from this wonderful city. It has it's faults but I wouldn't wish to be from any other place.

Well done Glasgow and to everyone involved for a wonderful Commonwealth Games 2014.

PS - My highlight of the night: Prince Imran saying that Glasgow is "pure dead brilliant" :D
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it and it still made me immensely proud to be from this fine city but I expected more tonight. It was basically just a glorified Kylie Minogue concert. I like Kylie and I appreciate that she was representing the handover to Australia, but her whole segment just dominated it too much.

There were many parts tonight that I loved - Kylie (despite my feelings above, I did enjoy her performances), Dougie McLean singing "Caledonia", one of my favourite songs, the touching changing over of the flag and the poignant "Auld lang Syne" at the end.

you can never have too much Kylie ^_^ :blush:
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting wee analyis of who was punching above their weight at the games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28632203
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ended up at the athletes party last night. It was pretty shit so we left after the haggi action.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I've posted this elsewhere but I think it's appropriate to put it here too....

First of all, let me say that I was one of the ones who actually really enjoyed the opening ceremony but, for me, tonight's closing ceremony was a bit of a damp squib.

And, of course, there were some parts that I didn't like at all - mainly the Gold Coast promotion. It was awful. The girl who was singing - sorry, miming - during this part was just too cheesy and the whole thing with the presenters 'coming out of the screens' was embarrassing to watch. It was just lame and went on far too long. At one point, I thought I'd accidentally switched over to the Travel Channel. It just didn't feel heartfelt at all.

Also, no Proclaimers???? Why!? I would have loved them to close the ceremony with a raucous rendition of "500 Miles".
    I was also expecting the final fireworks display to be a bit more spectacular.

However, overall, I have loved these Games from start to finish. They have been so important to Glasgow and everyone involved has strived so hard to make this whole experience something worth remembering for the athletes, spectators and fans alike. And I don't think they've disappointed.
    The volunteers and 'Clydesiders' have been magnificent.
    It might sound cheesy but the people really do make Glasgow. I am so proud to come from this wonderful city. It has it's faults but I wouldn't wish to be from any other place.

Well done Glasgow and to everyone involved for a wonderful Commonwealth Games 2014.

PS - My highlight of the night: Prince Imran saying that Glasgow is "pure dead brilliant" :D

This almost mirrors my thoughts on the Closing Ceremony. I missed most of the opening due to work.

There was way too much Kylie for my liking. Of course it was nice to hand over to Australia with an Australian star but it then just became a Kylie concert which I would never have wanted to watch.

We have so many Scots bands that would have been better. I expected to see the Proclaimers at some point but I suppose with it being Glasgows games, not Edinburghs they maybe weren't asked. They would have been great though. I didn't mind Lulu, but there should have been more Scots singers instead of all that Gold Coast stuff.

Loved "Pure Dead Briliant" as well.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the opening ceremony but the closing ceremony was dire........loads of songs and singers that I'd never heard of......nothing sing-a-long at all

lots of speeches, a travel brochure guide to the next host city.......

just boring, boring......

Oh well, at least we had fun moaning and quipping about it on the Commonwealth Games forum......to uphold the DS Traditions......:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    I ended up at the athletes party last night. It was pretty shit so we left after the haggi action.

Were you at The Garage too? I must have been well pissshed cos I don't remember haggi action, maybe happened after I left
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Garage! I was "barred for life" from there in 2003 :(