Options

Princess Diana died 17 years ago today

Comments

• Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    A million and one reasons! Do you have to analyse or criticise other people's emotions and reactions, just because they are different to yours?

People can do what they like. It was weird, that's all. No reason not to say so.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God how I cringed as grown men publicly wept more at the death of some overprivileged clothes-horse they had never met than they would have at their own mother's funeral.

It was sheer mass hysteria - the herd mentality in overdrive.

The mass hysteria was sickening to see. I didn't say anything to my family at the time, but the words that entered my head straight away when watching her funeral was everybody copying off everyone else. I mean, okay, I realise she was well liked, that was fair enough, but the over the top grief was just cringing to watching. I think it was just a case of everyone copying everyone else.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    People can do what they like. It was weird, that's all. No reason not to say so.

Fair enough. Freedom of expression and all that.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any muslim marriage would of been awkward for western forgin policy.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would at least think they would be saddened that their grandchildren had lost a mother, who loved them very much :(

I'm sure they were. Why on earth would you suggest that they were not? What did you hear them saying? Or are you one of those people who think that if people are not weeping and howling in front of the press they obviously can't be feeling anything at all?
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any muslim marriage would of been awkward for western forgin policy.....

The muslim she really wanted did not want her in the end. Khan had a lucky escape from the daily circus she courted. She was using Dodi for a bit of fun, she'd never have married him.
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The mass hysteria was sickening to see. I didn't say anything to my family at the time, but the words that entered my head straight away when watching her funeral was everybody copying off everyone else. I mean, okay, I realise she was well liked, that was fair enough, but the over the top grief was just cringing to watching. I think it was just a case of everyone copying everyone else.

Or trying to outdo each other. The world's media was in London that week and everyone wanted to be seen 'grieving' as much as possible. It became a competition.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh what a circus, Oh what a show.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most interesting aspects of the weird aftermath of Diana's death was how the Queen was dragged on to our TV screens to do a damage limitation exercise after the media had convinced everyone( presumably even her) that unless she showed some kind of reaction in public the monarchy could be brought down.Ridiculous and embarrassing.Weird weird times.

Diana brought the very unwelcome glare of celebrity into the monarchy and they have never been the same since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    Or trying to outdo each other. The world's media was in London that week and everyone wanted to be seen 'grieving' as much as possible. It became a competition.

Could very well have been. I understand they were saddened at Diana's death, but the grief shown back then in the crowd was completely over the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Oh what a circus, Oh what a show.

It's DS - what do you expect? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Could very well have been. I understand they were saddened at Diana's death, but the grief shown back then in the crowd was completely over the top.

Where is the set of rules that tells us how much emotion we are allowed to show in any given situation?
  • Options
    JackieboJackiebo Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You hate her because of what other people did after her death?

No -because of what she did during her life... She came here to Edinburgh to open Milestone House, which at that time was an AIDS hospice. She spoketo one client,who was dying -she was also a dealer who sold drugs to children in primary school and who did not care one bit how her behaviour hurt these kids. Princess Di told us to look after her because she was 'special'. Aye she was special alright, in that she cared about no-one other than herself,and cared about no-one but her.

Bairn is still alive, thanks to our care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most interesting aspects of the weird aftermath of Diana's death was how the Queen was dragged on to our TV screens to do a damage limitation exercise after the media had convinced everyone( presumably even her) that unless she showed some kind of reaction in public the monarchy could be brought down.Ridiculous and embarrassing.Weird weird times.

Diana brought the very unwelcome glare of celebrity into the monarchy and they have never been the same since.

We all said it in our family that the Queen was just making a speech about Diana because she knew that a load would go against her if she didn't. Her speech about Diana was definitely done just to try and stop people from going against her. The flag was then lowered halfway down the mast. Prince Philip and the Queen then came out to the crowds and started talking to them. I'm convinced the Queen wanted to show as much disrespect to Diana's memory as possible, because she must have hated that Diana was the centre of attention and not her when Diana was alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the set of rules that tells us how much emotion we are allowed to show in any given situation?

Where did I mention a set of rules?
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just remember thinking 'stupid bitch should have worn a seat belt'
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    This means it's a generation ago... You'd have to be at least 20 to have any memory of her... Must be just a historical name to them? I feel old now :blush:

Justin Beiber was talking in the press recently about Diana in regards to the paparazzi chasing him in cars etc.

When I read it I thought that he wouldn't remember Diana and she would just be a name that he has read about or was told about which made me feel old as well.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest my overriding memory was "inconsiderate bitch, causing Liverpool vs Newcastle to be postponed".
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the Express mentioned it?

That would depend on if they have a weather story to make up.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG I feel old now! is it really 17 years. I remember it so clearly, we were on holiday in the Isle of Wight. I got up earlier than the others to make tea and switched the TV on and Fiona Phillips was reading the news in a daze. I woke the others up and nobody could believe it.
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    You said it. The British people at their very worst, self-indulgent and melodramatic. And then turning on their monarch just because she took off her Queen-hat for a few days and put her grandsons first instead of zooming down to London to posture and placate tens of thousands of non-family members who thought their 'grief' needed more attention from her than William and Harry's did.

And that flowery shrine that went on forever and turned into a pile of rotting flowers within days....absolutely ridiculous. I reckon many people wore themselves out unnecessarily that week.

Couldn't agree with you more. This country whipped itself into a frenzy, it was madness. The irony of people who were weeping and wailing over the Queens reaction, she had it right in trying to shelter William and Harry from the lunacy. I suppose she didn't factor in the neediness of some adults who should have known better.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin Beiber was talking in the press recently about Diana in regards to the paparazzi chasing him in cars etc.

When I read it I thought that he wouldn't remember Diana and she would just be a name that he has read about or was told about which made me feel old as well.

I bet he must have been fearing for his life......
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    This means it's a generation ago... You'd have to be at least 20 to have any memory of her... Must be just a historical name to them? I feel old now :blush:

Or put another way, next anniversary we'll be able to say there isn't a single child alive who was around when she lived :o
    I actually knew today's date was significant but until I saw a thread on here I'd totally forgotten.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really does seem a lifetime ago since she died :( poor women. She should still be alive and continuing her charity work in Africa. She also missed out on seeing her eldest son get married and have a son. Whoever chased her in that tunnel while in the limo should be in prison right now the paps just were out of order chasing her everywhere she went
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's DS - what do you expect? ;-)

I was referring to September 1997;-)