Samsung SMT - S7800 Freesat PVR 1080P

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Amarok wrote: »
    Yes, timer recording works also in non-freesat mode

Thanks, great news and a step above the humax, can you say whether you used manual or epg setting?

Also anyone, whether there is any auto-switching between modes if you set recordings in both modes or indeed if timers can be set separately; one in each mode at the same time?

Finally, a more complex question; The humax had the ability (requiring a hidden code to be able to do some more advanced settings) to set up the two tuners with a different mix of satellites. They called it something like "twocable(different)". Can this Samsung do a similar thing, e.g. set one tuner up for 28.2 and 19E and the other tuner up for 13E and another sat position (or a second connection to a quad lnb at 28.2E)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I ordered my one this morning from Curry's it said the deluxe option for delivery was not available in my area.

I also just got a Curry's email all about the new Samsung Freesat box :)

http://stores.dsgiplc.com/?9nCnvOSQwSaZgElAu9F19NIObXugkyIQ9

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    >can you say whether you used manual or epg setting?

Works the same as in freesat mode. EPG.

>Also anyone, whether there is any auto-switching between modes if you set recordings in both modes or indeed if timers can be set separately; one in each mode at the same time?

No auto-switching observed at all. I've set up 1 timer in freesat, 2nd timer in non-freesat, both were on timer list and both programmes were recorded.

>Finally, a more complex question; The humax had the ability (requiring a hidden code to be able to do some more advanced settings) to set up the two tuners with a different mix of satellites. They called it something like "twocable(different)". Can this Samsung do a similar thing, e.g. set one tuner up for 28.2 and 19E and the other tuner up for 13E and another sat position (or a second connection to a quad lnb at 28.2E)

I haven't found anything like this. Yet ;)
    Forum Member
    oops; thought I would ask Samsung's webteam why the product had disappeared from their website and why there was no manual to download. The reply!!!!!:

Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

Kindly note that there's yet no information about the release of this product in UK, as a UK model. If so please be
    sure that this will be clearly mentioned on our website.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.
    Kind regards,
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre

ofcourse you cannot reply to the email (outgoing messages only) and if you use the link they give for product support the compulsory fields include lists of products you have to select - but without this product listed you cannot get further - so another message to the webteam?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    One more question for ztoppe or anybody else with one of these.

What happens to the programmed recordings when you switch the machine off for 30 mins for example? We get quite a few power outages where we are - one of the reasons I never went for the Humax (even though this is fixed in the upcoming firmware apparantley)

Does it recover OK?
  • bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flemmo wrote: »
    Can you copy files to usb stick, like the Humax?
    Has anyone managed to find out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rozet wrote: »
    oops; thought I would ask Samsung's webteam why the product had disappeared from their website and why there was no manual to download. The reply!!!!!:

ofcourse you cannot reply to the email (outgoing messages only) and if you use the link they give for product support the compulsory fields include lists of products you have to select - but without this product listed you cannot get further - so another message to the webteam?

I wonder which other country would want or be licensed to sell a Freesat+ box :)

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ Amarok Can the remote work your tv, ie volume / on off, and how is the picture quality for HD and SD channels.
    Forum Member
    jono t wrote: »
    @ Amarok Can the remote work your tv, ie volume / on off, and how is the picture quality for HD and SD channels.

Looks like it - manual has instructions and codes for hundreds of manufacturers.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a list of questions I would love to know the answers too. Some aready answered

1 Dual recording of two channels at the same time - YES

2 Watching a third channel sharing a transponder with either recording - YES

3 While recording two and watching a third can the third be recorded from the beginning of the timeshare buffer after one of the two recordings finishes - YES

4 IF two recordings are being made from the same transponder can any other channel be viewed and live paused - YES

5 Under the conditions in 4 can the third channel be recorded while the other two recordings are ongoing - NOT KNOWN

6 Can fta channels added to the box be displayed in the Freesat epg (just now and next of course) - YES

6 Can non freesat recordings manually timed recordings be made at the same time as freesat recordings - NOT KNOWN

7 Is it possible to make non-encrypted recordings of content encrypted on recording to disc using a fta mode - NOT KNOWN

8 What file formats does usb archiving support - NOT KNOWN

9 Can HD recordings copied to USB be replayed from the USB device - NOT KNOWN

10 What file formats video, audio and photo can be replayed from usb - NOT KNOWN.

11 As above which can be uploaded to the HDD - NOT KNOWN

12 What access does a network connection give to the box to the recordings - NOT KNOWN

13 What file formats can be streamed to the network port - NOT KNOWN

14 Does the box have the convenient programmeable skip keys as used on Humax pvrs - NOT KNOWN

15 Response speed to remote keys and remote usability - comment appears to be favourable so far

16 Can the box display a buffered epg as well as responding to a request for a new epg - NOT KNOWN

17 What file system can be used on a usb drive (particulary is NTFS suppported) - NOT KNOWN

18 Approx boot time from low power sby - NOT KNOWN

Comment so far looks very favourable.

Has anyone any other questions ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    It would be good if we could set up a wiki so everyone could add/edit questions and provide answers. Then people researching the product can find out if it's the one for them ;)
    Forum Member
    I have a list of questions I would love to know the answers

6A Can fta channels added to the box be displayed in the Freesat epg (just now and next of course) - YES

6B Can non freesat recordings manually timed recordings be made at the same time as freesat recordings - NOT KNOWN

The following answer seems to deal with the above except I am not sure from this that all freest and non-freesat channels appear on one epg list but the most significant answer below is that you can set recordings from both modes, I assume meaning, to record at the same time;
    >can you say whether you used manual or epg setting?

Works the same as in freesat mode. EPG.
    I've set up 1 timer in freesat, 2nd timer in non-freesat, both were on timer list and both programmes were recorded.

I haven't found anything like this. Yet ;)

Next
    14 Does the box have the convenient programmeable skip keys as used on Humax pvrs - NOT KNOWN

Samsung SMT-S7800-025.jpg by ztoppe on flickr shows coloured skip keys in the epg but not sure if this is what you were asking about.

Question 19?

My additional more complex question; The humax had the ability (requiring a hidden code to be able to do some more advanced settings) to set up the two tuners with a different mix of satellites. They called it something like "twocable(different)". Can this Samsung do a similar thing, e.g. set one tuner up for 28.2 and 19E and the other tuner up for 13E and another sat position (or a second connection to a quad lnb at 28.2E)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Nobody has actually confirmed that you can copy programmes to a USB device. In fact, quite the opposite on another forum.

I'd like to know if it can stream the content of it's hard drive via DLNA - now that would be clever, but I doubt it somehow.

If Samsung would just put the sodding manual on their website it would save a lot of bother!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone any other questions ?

I'd like some slight clarification on the following!
    6 Can fta channels added to the box be displayed in the Freesat epg (just now and next of course) - YES
    Does this mean that non-freesat channels can be accessed in freesat mode, or that freesat channels can be accessed from non-freesat mode? And is it just the EPG that is "cross mode" or can you actually use the freesat channel nbrs in non-freesat mode and vice versa?

Additional questions I'd like to ask are:

Can you hide freesat channels, rather than deleting them, so they don't appear on the EPG and are skipped when you're going up and down channels but you can bring them back temporarily if need be?

Can you similarly hide non-freesat channels so that they don't reappear when you re-scan because you've deleted them?

How many favourites or channel groupings facilities are there? And how easy are they to access? Especially important for non-freesat mode!

Is there a TV/Radio toggle?

A lot of our questions would be easily answered once the manual is available though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Samsung SMT-S7800-025.jpg by ztoppe on flickr shows coloured skip keys in the epg but not sure if this is what you were asking about.

Humax pvrs have two keys forward and reverse skip with independently set durations. The default of +2min and -15sec is just about right.

Modus operandi :D

Playing back a recording with commercial breaks.

At the start of the ads press the forward skip till you see the sponsor screen for the next part (2 is pretty well bang on for ITV1-HD). If you overshoot press reverse skip (-15 sec) till you see the ads appear.

Result max 15 seconds or so of adverts, it's a very quick and convenient way of skipping content. Hopefully it's possible on the Samsung :D
    Forum Member
    A lot of our questions would be easily answered once the manual is available though.
    andy83 wrote: »
    If Samsung would just put the sodding manual on their website it would save a lot of bother!

I contacted their webteam again and received;
    Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.
    We always look forward to customer feedback and comments.
    We are committed to continuously improving the experience for our customers and your comments are important to us.
    Your suggestion has been forwarded to the appropriate department.

Thank you for your input.

who knows, maybe they'll jump to it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following answer seems to deal with the above except I am not sure from this that all freest and non-freesat channels appear on one epg list but the most significant answer below is that you can set recordings from both modes, I assume meaning, to record at the same time;

The post refers does not say if both recordings were concurrent or consecutive hence the comment at the same time. :confused:

The Foxsat-hdr for instance can record in fta mode but not while recording a scheduled freesat recording.
    Forum Member
    Humax pvrs have two keys forward and reverse skip with independently set durations. The default of +2min and -15sec is just about right.
    ..it's a very quick and convenient way of skipping content. Hopefully it's possible on the Samsung :D
    looking at
    Samsung SMT-S7800-011.jpg
    on
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ztoppe/5571016148/in/set-72157626253481733/

it seems it has the buttons but just how they work in practice would be worth knowing (or reading an online manual)

As for recordings in both modes, the answer did leave some scope for clarification and I'd like to know more too.
    Forum Member
    andy83 wrote: »

The manual has the basics... Unfortunately not in an easily scanned in format!

Seems to have

Fastforward/ Fastrewind
    Jump back 15 secs
    Jump forward 60 secs

Time seek forward
    Time seek backward

according to manual
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nickdenker wrote: »

Sounds just like the Foxsat-hdr manual, it leaves more questions unanswered than answered but I guess that's what forums like this are for :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking at
    Samsung SMT-S7800-011.jpg
    on
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ztoppe/5571016148/in/set-72157626253481733/

it seems it has the buttons but just how they work in practice would be worth knowing (or reading an online manual)

As for recordings in both modes, the answer did leave some scope for clarification and I'd like to know more too.

Thanks for the link, one thing I notice is that the bookmark capability is probably better handled having a button simply marked place a marker on the timeline.

Got another question (one for Nick's blog).

Does direct time code entry work, for instance while viewing a recording if you hit 0023 does replay point jump to 23 minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nickdenker wrote: »

Seems to have

Fastforward/ Fastrewind
    Jump back 15 secs
    Jump forward 60 secs

Time seek forward
    Time seek backward

according to manual

That's close enough for me to the HUMAX programmeable one's, just needs a few more forward pushes :D assuming of course it does what it sounds like on replay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    That's close enough for me to the HUMAX programmeable one's, just needs a few more forward pushes :D assuming of course it does what it sounds like on replay.

You can use the time seek (free-jump?) - left/right arrow to jump to the desired position :)
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you press the epg button does it display the crappy genre screen like panachronics do, or can you disable it like the humax does?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use the time seek (free-jump?) - left/right arrow to jump to the desired position :)

Can you explain, does this mean you push the button and then enter a timecode. Or for example that you push the forward button 6 times to jump forward 6 minutes ? :confused: