Options

Is Call of Duty going to become a yearly release?

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Call of Duty continues to break all records in sales surely they're going to make it a yearly release like Fifa.

MW3 $400m in sales in the first 24 hours!

Comments

• Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Um....it already is a yearly release.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been a COD release every year for the last, what?... Five, maybe six years!
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't played MW3/MW2.1, so i dunno the SP storyline, so i could be well off, but i think that particular series is coming to an end.

I'd like to see a W@W2, i hope BlOps is consigned to the Hall of Shame, i don't want the world to be exposed to a sequel.

But yeah, CoD is an annual title already....
  • Options
    Kopite79Kopite79 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's already a yearly release, unless you're referring to the Modern Warfare series which is released every 2 years. They normally take 18 months to 2 years to make though you wouldn't think so looking at it.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Lawro2 wrote: »
    Call of Duty continues to break all records in sales surely they're going to make it a yearly release like Fifa.

MW3 $400m in sales in the first 24 hours!

Uh, it already is??
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt it will be Black Ops 2 next year and then MW4 the year after and so on.

Kerching!

If they take 2 years to make they must have started on MW3 as soon as they finished MW2.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    No doubt it will be Black Ops 2 next year and then MW4 the year after and so on.

Kerching!

If they take 2 years to make they must have started on MW3 as soon as they finished MW2.

I think we need a break, and maybe Infinity ward and treyarch could work together and in late 2012, or early 2013, releaase cod best of the best,

single player game, should be rleased on one disc, while muliti player gets relased on the other disc

50 odd maps
    countless weapon
    three tiers perks, so Normal perk, Pro perk, and a new advance pro perk
    Introduce new playlist plus some old fav
  • Options
    funnyhairfunnyhair Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't see why or how so many people get so excited for the Call of Duty series as much as they do anymore.
    It's essentially more or less the same thing every year.

And im not trying to start any kind of argument here, as I've played all the Call of Duty's except MW3 as yet.

I really do hope when GTA V is released it thrashes CoD sales, as atleast R* keep thing's original and put alot of work and effort into their games, and it's no where near a yearly thing.

The Call of Duty franchise really needs to have a break for 1 or 2 years atleast, but of course that's not going to happen with the amount of people that buy it every year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    funnyhair wrote: »
    I really don't see why or how so many people get so excited for the Call of Duty series as much as they do anymore.

And im not trying to start any kind of argument here, as I've played all the Call of Duty's except MW3 as yet.

I really do hope when GTA V is released it thrashes CoD sales, as atleast R* keep thing's original and put alot of work and effort into their games, and it's no where near a yearly thing.

The Call of Duty franchise really needs to have a break for 1 or 2 years atleast, but of course that's not going to happen with the amount of people that buy it every year.

I agree entirely, although I don't think GTA is the best comparison because they do get a tad repetitive too.

COD is now at the stage where a lot people buy it because nobody else plays anything else online for a while. All their friends play it and so if they want to play online with them, they have to get COD. The single player mode is usually disappointing and multiplayer is basically cut and paste each year with some minor amendments. The problem is that whilst people will gladly throw their money onto glorified map packs, they will continue to be made as frequently as possible.

It really is crazy how such an average game is so massively popular. I will of course get pillared for this post because you are not allowed to criticise COD in any way.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are not allowed to criticise COD in any way.

It's actually the other way around but nevermind.

And GTA is an annual release with it's various mini spin-offs.
  • Options
    MacclesMaccles Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Of course it's a yearly thing. It's like the Fifa franchise and the Star Wars movies, you have a certain demographic that are willing to spend the big bucks every year for something that they already bought the year before! Can't blame the companies either, i'd milk people dry every year if i could aswell.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

There has not been gta game released since Oct 2009.

I think people should take close look activisions past, they push out games to much and eventually they push to hard people move on to new things, same thing will happen to cod.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

6.5m units sold, $400m taken in the first 24 hours in just Britain & America says it all.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asda have even sold out of mw3 posters....
  • Options
    funnyhairfunnyhair Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6.5m units sold, $400m taken in the first 24 hours in just Britain & America says it all.

Im sure albums by Justin Bieber sell really well aswell but that doesn't mean they're good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member

Nice job quoting only half that sentence so it looks out of context. Cheers.
  • Options
    IRKarlIRKarl Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    3 was milking it, a full price expansion set so was black ops. I wouldn't buy a mw4 game if it came out on current generation consoles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    A t £5 more than the normal games it seems like they are milking it. This is in the uk. I am getting Skyrim tomoz which will be a much longer game and have both great graphics and longer non-linear gameplay.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Im sure albums by Justin Bieber sell really well aswell but that doesn't mean they're good.

Probably means that they're good at what they're supposed to be good at though.

Personally, I'm not sure I'll continue after MW3. I picked this one up more for the conclusion to the SP campaign more than anything else. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy MP, and I'm enjoying MW3's MP, but I've been playing FPS since the days of MoH and I'm kind of thinking it's time to move on. With the resolution to the Price/Soap/Makarov story, now seems as good a time as any to leave it behind.

That being said, I'll play the MW3 MP for a good while yet, and no doubt I'll always return to CoD4 every now and then for a bit of nostalgic fun.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm done with CoD now, only bought it cause I liked the MW storyline