Standard & Poors- can't they STFU.

Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
Forum Member
Why the hell does this lot not STFU about ratings ect? seems that far from calming things their credit statements are undermining the efforts to help Greece.

OK any sane sensible person knows the Greek economy is up the creek and in need of drastic help but do we really need to hear the opinions and views of this lot?, Who the hell gave them carte blanche to rate anything?, what gives S & P the right to post ratings statements knowing that it will seriously affect millions in a country like Greece?.

Maybe i'm being naive but S & P are not helping matters.

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not knowing much about them, I suspect their job is to rate the creditworthiness of companies/governments, not help them financially. Given that they presumably already have a 'current' rating for each country, they'd be in trouble if they didn't downrate the likes of greece.

Blame the media for placing weight in their opinion.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Why the hell does this lot not STFU about ratings ect? seems that far from calming things their credit statements are undermining the efforts to help Greece.

OK any sane sensible person knows the Greek economy is up the creek and in need of drastic help but do we really need to hear the opinions and views of this lot?, Who the hell gave them carte blanche to rate anything?, what gives S & P the right to post ratings statements knowing that it will seriously affect millions in a country like Greece?.

Maybe i'm being naive but S & P are not helping matters.

S & P are a credit rating company. It is their job to decide on the credit worthiness of individuals, corporations and countries.

They do this without emotion and based on the facts.

It is not their job to be concerned about the effect their decision has on Greece. It is for the Greek government to explain how they got in this mess.
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they didn't downgrade and investors lost money on false ratings the legal ramifications for S&P would be astronomical.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    While it looks bad from here in the UK I imagine it looks a hell of a lot worse if you happen to live in Greece. Their government makes ours look like a bunch of competent geniuses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't the job of S&P to make the Greek, or any other, government look good. It is their job to give a fair rating, and to make it public to investors.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    While it looks bad from here in the UK I imagine it looks a hell of a lot worse if you happen to live in Greece. Their government makes ours look like a bunch of competent geniuses.

Brown seems almost competent by comparison.
  • Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    S&P get their info and market sentiment from investment banks, hedge funds et al who make money out of these badly performing bonds. S&P told us all was well in the world as the banks crash a few years ago.

Greek bonds have beem a crock for a long time now but suddenly they downgrade them - and probably make themselves or their investors money in the process.
  • Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    S & P are a credit rating company. It is their job to decide on the credit worthiness of individuals, corporations and countries.

It is not their job to be concerned about the effect their decision has on Greece. It is for the Greek government to explain how they got in this mess.

From all accounts and i may be wrong but the whole sorry mess is down to the previous Greek administration, the present lot got in opened the books and found a hell of a mess, Goldman Saks and the last administration fiddled ,colluded to hide the problem to enable entry to the Euro.

Thank to all for the info about S & P, i was hasty in condemning them as being the evil wrongdoers.:o
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S&P get their info and market sentiment from investment banks, hedge funds et al who make money out of these badly performing bonds. S&P told us all was well in the world as the banks crash a few years ago.

Greek bonds have beem a crock for a long time now but suddenly they downgrade them - and probably make themselves or their investors money in the process.
    It does seem odd to do this now, after the markets had reacted well (or at least stabilised) in response to the IMF/EU rescue package. Maybe some people think it's the right time to punish Greece further, and start on Spain.

If no action was taken to reverse the Greek deficit fair enough, but action is being taken though the effects won't be seen overnight.

The most worrying thing is that the UK is next in line for a downgrade. If I was more cynical I might suspect the timing of such a move would be to maximise the beneficial effects for the Tory party, i.e. just before May 6. S&P aren't above such things, as their interference in last year's Irish election shows.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cowen-attacks-call-for-new-faces-in-cabinet-1693290.html

It was agencies such as S&P who granted AAA status to "sliced and diced" securitised investments which later proved worthless, thus precipitating the credit crunch.
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    It does seem odd to do this now, after the markets had reacted well (or at least stabilised) in response to the IMF/EU rescue package. Maybe some people think it's the right time to punish Greece further, and start on Spain.

If no action was taken to reverse the Greek deficit fair enough, but action is being taken though the effects won't be seen overnight.

The most worrying thing is that the UK is next in line for a downgrade. If I was more cynical I might suspect the timing of such a move would be to maximise the beneficial effects for the Tory party, i.e. just before May 6. S&P aren't above such things, as their interference in last year's Irish election shows.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cowen-attacks-call-for-new-faces-in-cabinet-1693290.html

It was agencies such as S&P who granted AAA status to "sliced and diced" securitised investments which later proved worthless, thus precipitating the credit crunch.

Exactly how politically neutral are they? no company with that much power has the right to interfere in the matters of a Sovereign nation.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly how politically neutral are they? no company with that much power has the right to interfere in the matters of a Sovereign nation.

Are they interfering? Or expressing an opinion that holds a lot of weight?

Presumably if they were seen to be heavily biased, their opinion wouldn't be as valued in a domain where it's all about the bottom line. Euromoney and AM Best offer alternative ratings for example.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »

Standard and Poor and Moodys rating agencies are the very same rating agencies who gave Goldman Sachs and the other fraudster banks AAA ratings for the Sub-Prime crap that was sold on to the worlds banks.

At least Greece has scuppered any plans that may have ben the reason for the downgrade by banning short selling for two months.
    Forum Member
    Equality wrote: »
    Standard and Poor and Moodys rating agencies are the very same rating agencies who gave Goldman Sachs and the other fraudster banks AAA ratings for the Sub-Prime crap that was sold on to the worlds banks.

At least Greece has scuppered any plans that may have ben the reason for the downgrade by banning short selling for two months.

I applaud Greece for that move, never liked the idea of short selling, it seems a dirty way of doing business.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe i'm being naive.

There is a least 1 part of your post I agree with ;)