Options

HAIR - New series starting Mon 13 July, at 10 pm

Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a heads up to any of the previous Hair fans! No more Steve Jones :(, but this time hosted by comedian Katherine Ryan and it's on BBC Two.

An amateur hair styling competition, that's all about being fun and creative. Think making a wide brimmed sun hat with customer's own hair, while still attached to her head!

Can't wait. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/hair

Comments

• Options
    PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh good, I loved the last series!
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed Steve's not back. Katherine's an odd choice but I'll give her a go.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the last series as it was (for me at least) something new and different.

Not a fan of KR though. :(
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Sounds like they've moved away from the Bake Off formula of last season and heading towards Masterchef territory with the professional tasks, I'm sure it used to be an hour on BBC 3 as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What have they done to the old show? It's unrecognisable and not keen on the new format, don't remember being so aware of the male commentator. Will stick with it though as I still love seeing the mad creations and boy are they crazy this time..... Hamster wheels and floor cuttings? Wonder how it'll do in it's new BBC2 slot?
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Hair is another show to fall foul to the BBC public service remit of sacrificing anything that isn't sport coverage.

What with splitting an hour show into two half-hour shows at 10PM, messing with the format, and now (probably) not showing it at all in only its second week, it looks like they were already planning on killing the show before it started. It's a pity because it did so well on BBC Three.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Is anyone even watching this? Oh dear, I am still watching but it's not as good as last series.
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the new format is less interesting.

I'm sure in the last series there was more technical info, and demos from the professionals/judges.

No cutting yet either!

Having said all that, it is still a must-see for me!
  • Options
    I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    I agree that the new format is less interesting.

I'm sure in the last series there was more technical info, and demos from the professionals/judges.

No cutting yet either!

Having said all that, it is still a must-see for me!

I 100% agree! particularly your last sentiment. I like the two judges, too.

xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it too - I found the under plaiting task last week fascinating. I notice it's billed tonight at 10 on BBC2. Hopefully it'll go ahead. Not sure why, but last Monday's was replaced by a documentary on the Womens Institute! Had it to record and thought I was going mad! I don't mean to grizzle - honest :p I'm still excited by it, but agree that it's a shame it isn't an hour.
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite surprised that Meggan was saved again, given how many times she has been at the bottom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the right one to go just now. It's a shame this show doesn't seem to be getting much attention. I love it. I should've been a hair stylist. Always loved it as a child. Maybe I still could.
  • Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this thread hasn't really got off the ground, which surprised me, but I watched the series to the end and atm I am spitting feathers, so I thought posting would give me an outlet to vent.

Firstly let me say that out of all the contestants the only one I would trust to do my hair would be Maryia. I thought she created some beautiful styles and although she wasn't necessarily my favourite personality, I do think she deserved to win.

At least if it wasn't to be her, I was glad it was Phil and not Kellie or Marlene, who imo were full of themselves and thought they were better than they were.

However, my main gripe and the reason I am so angry was the judges. What the hell was Alains' obsession with "BIG". Every damn challenge was about "how big it was" - it got beyond a joke.

But in the last challenge when the brief was not to do what they wanted, but completely follow the brides' instructions (which was emphasised by the judges), Maryias' bride said the style she created was EXACTLY what she had asked for, then the judges criticised her and appeared to mark her down for it not being BIG enough and commenting how they thought she should have brought more hair forward. Which part of "follow the brides' instructions did they not understand?

Anyways, feel better for writing it down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like it to get another series. It should probably go back to 1 hour episodes though. Still not sure about Katherine as the host. I like her normally.
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    I know this thread hasn't really got off the ground, which surprised me, but I watched the series to the end and atm I am spitting feathers, so I thought posting would give me an outlet to vent.

Firstly let me say that out of all the contestants the only one I would trust to do my hair would be Maryia. I thought she created some beautiful styles and although she wasn't necessarily my favourite personality, I do think she deserved to win.

At least if it wasn't to be her, I was glad it was Phil and not Kellie or Marlene, who imo were full of themselves and thought they were better than they were.

However, my main gripe and the reason I am so angry was the judges. What the hell was Alains' obsession with "BIG". Every damn challenge was about "how big it was" - it got beyond a joke.

But in the last challenge when the brief was not to do what they wanted, but completely follow the brides' instructions (which was emphasised by the judges), Maryias' bride said the style she created was EXACTLY what she had asked for, then the judges criticised her and appeared to mark her down for it not being BIG enough and commenting how they thought she should have brought more hair forward. Which part of "follow the brides' instructions did they not understand?

Anyways, feel better for writing it down.

Know what you're saying about Maryia's bride and her hair but in fairness Phil was the one who consistently followed the brief throughout the series and I doubt the result was decided on the final task alone (which he performed very well anyway).

I think he was the deserved winner imho all credit to him for catching on to what the judges were looking for to get max points. In the Victorian hairdo challenge for the new museum character he was the only one who got it anywhere near right. He wasn't always the best in every round but he was certainly the most consistent..
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen the final yet but I'd love to see this back as I enjoy it, but a few tweaks: -

- Make it an hour again please, that worked fine last time.
    - More demos/explanations and actual hair cutting
    - Keep Katherine as host, she was fine but....DROP THE VOICE OVER MAN - dreadful, seemed to think it was an audition for Come Dine with Me (although to be fair, someone else would have done the script and told him the tone to adopt).

Will try and catch up on the final today, bit disappointed Maryia didn't win as I liked a lot of her stuff, especially the ancient Greek one she did, but well done Phil :)
  • Options
    PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Katharine Ryan as the host, but the voiceover was very irritating. And I liked the idea of giving them a real client and asking them to style how the client wanted. I also think an hour was good, and I'd like to see more time being given to actual cuts rather than just outrageous styling. There are only so many giant trees and lions I can see before it feels more like an art challenge than a hair challenge. I liked the technical challenge last time round when they all had to produce a classic cut. I felt I learned something about hairdressing and cutting last time, whereas this series I didn't feel like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will try and catch up on the final today, bit disappointed Maryia didn't win as I liked a lot of her stuff, especially the ancient Greek one she did, but well done Phil :)

I liked her butterfly in the semi final too but the problem was she was often reluctant to leave her comfort zone more so than many of the others.
  • Options
    I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the series. Didn't mind Katherine as host (didn't mind Steve Jones either), didn't mind the VoiceOver guy, really liked Alain and Denise. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough cutting! Oh yeah, and each week the 'styling' they did was 'exhibitiony' (I know there's no such word!). Would've liked a bit more 'regular' styling, but maybe they thought that might be boring? But anyway, definitely more cutting next time please.

xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another congrats to Phil and doesn't he already work in a hairdressers? So am sure the win will see him advance to lots more creative opportunities. DS is usually a pretty good gauge of a show's popularity, and the fact we didn't even limp off the first page isn't good. I still love it and want it to be a hit, so I hope it's re-commissioned.
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with the final two episodes as was on holiday last week. I think that overall Phil deserved to win as he was the most consistent in terms of following the brief, however if I was going to have any of them style y hair I would want Mariya to do it!

I didn't watch the first series so can't compare formats, but enjoyed this and hope it comes back again next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camis wrote: »
    Just caught up with the final two episodes as was on holiday last week. I think that overall Phil deserved to win as he was the most consistent in terms of following the brief, however if I was going to have any of them style y hair I would want Mariya to do it!

I didn't watch the first series so can't compare formats, but enjoyed this and hope it comes back again next year.

It makes you wonder what Phil would do given a free hand and no brief to follow or judges to impress. He seems to enjoy braiding and plaiting