Options

Sat Nav - Help

ReefmanReefman Posts: 1,846
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've decided to bite the bullet and buy into this technology so help and advice on a budget unit to buy - around £100 but happy to go a bit more if justifiable.

I've been looking at the Navman S30 or the TomTom One which seem to have good reviews any advice most welcome - thanks in anticipation

Comments

• Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can, get a Garmin.

Tomtom is also a decent make, but Garmin tends to win it for me every time. They are also meant to have more accurate maps according to some sales bumph, but I'm not sure if that's true.

I've always been slightly more impressed with the Garmin units than the Tomtom ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    If you can, get a Garmin.

Tomtom is also a decent make, but Garmin tends to win it for me every time. They are also meant to have more accurate maps according to some sales bumph, but I'm not sure if that's true.

I've always been slightly more impressed with the Garmin units than the Tomtom ones.

Cheers but Ive heard that theyre not as user friendly as the others mentioned, whats your experience in that sense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used Tomtom, Garmin and a cheapo brand that I can't remember the name of. To be honest I found Garmin just as easy as the Tomtom to use and certainly a lot easier than the cheapo one before that.

Tomtom and Garmin have different menus, but both are easy to use. If you get used to one it's not hard to adjust to another in a few minutes.

I wouldn't say Garmin is unfriendly, if you can use a Tomtom then you can use a Garmin.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm buying a satnav tomorrow as well!! :D

I was also looking at your model's.

I was also looking at this;
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5041466/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+SATNAV.htm

but I just can't make up my mind - which one do you think your going to get?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    I've used Tomtom, Garmin and a cheapo brand that I can't remember the name of. To be honest I found Garmin just as easy as the Tomtom to use and certainly a lot easier than the cheapo one before that.

Tomtom and Garmin have different menus, but both are easy to use. If you get used to one it's not hard to adjust to another in a few minutes.

I wouldn't say Garmin is unfriendly, if you can use a Tomtom then you can use a Garmin.

Exactly! However some people prefer life to be painless as possible, but sadly this isn't the case. So why should sat nav's be any different
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaronon wrote: »
    I'm buying a satnav tomorrow as well!! :D

I was also looking at your model's.

I was also looking at this;
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5041466/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY+SATNAV.htm

but I just can't make up my mind - which one do you think your going to get?

Just been to Halfords to have a look, not to buy but no one available to demonstrate and only the tomtom and garmin on display. Even with the tottom one so many options dont need european maps at moment but not sure if I get the basic uk I can add the europe maps later. Msut admit think Im erring towards the tomtom but still uncertain going to check out a few more reviews
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reefman wrote: »
    Just been to Halfords to have a look, not to buy but no one available to demonstrate and only the tomtom and garmin on display. Even with the tottom one so many options dont need european maps at moment but not sure if I get the basic uk I can add the europe maps later. Msut admit think Im erring towards the tomtom but still uncertain going to check out a few more reviews

Unless you want to get ripped off, do NOT buy from halfords! amazon is the cheapest place, or if you have a Staples shop in your area, go there.

I have a tomtom one XL GB and NI. cost me £119.99 from staples when other places were charging £10 or £20 more

You might laugh, but pop into your local Toys R us store. Even they do sat navs. the TomTom one there was priced at £64.99 while in other stores it was £99.99 at the time. :eek: The sales assistant told me that they were not going to get any more TomTom's in stock.

Only thing about the TomTom one XL is the maps are not entirely accurate. For example, in my local town a roundabout was removed to make way for a traffic island However the Tomtom still recongises it as a roundabout still being there "at the roundabout take the 2nd exit" instead of "at the traffic lights turn right"

However you can download map corrections as submitted by other users using the software provided via your USB cable plugged in to your laptop/PC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wasnt going to buy from there - jsut to see tehm in the flesh so to speak - also just found this

http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/Technology/Computing/90018399999

can anyone comment
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had Navsure N400i fitted today and not had a chance to play with it yet but ut looks good so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reefman wrote: »
    No wasnt going to buy from there - jsut to see tehm in the flesh so to speak - also just found this

http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/Technology/Computing/90018399999

can anyone comment

The general rule with sat navs is the same as in life: you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having bought and used a cheap brand Satnav in the past I can say that my Garmin and my wife's Garmin (different models) are a million times better and worth that little bit extra.

The one you link to appears to be Michelin branded which would suggest it's not going to be just a cheap product, but I'd still consider a more established make such as Garmin or Tomtom which in my opinion are the two best makes on the market.
  • Options
    cressida100cressida100 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Tom Tom One. I am very pleased with it. Easy to use and updates automatically over the web. I would recommend it but I don't have any knowledge of others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After much thought decided to go tomtom rute was jsut going to get a onexl then found a great deal for a GO 520 at jsut £6 more - should be delivered today - hmm has anyone ever had a sat nav lost in the post - surely not:D
  • Options
    edindieedindie Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    What reviews have you read? Does anyone know of a comprehensive review of the top models (<£150) on a website somwhere?

I'm not hugely technical, so aside from this great site, I don't know which sites are reliable and which ones are jokers paid to reccomend certain products.