Options

Fragranced Candles - alternative to Yankee

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol - I think I have too! The last time I moved I did it in two stages. I realised at the end of the first day that I had about 30 candles in the new place and no shoes! :o

I'm the same, one side of the sideboard is full of them. I came in one day and hubby had lit one in the kitchen and didn't understand when I told him." That one isn't for burning, it's a discontinued one":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yeah Jackie doesn't cause trouble. She just tells it like it is. One of the more entertaining and sensible posters here. As for Glowbot - I feel sorry for him. He has so many issues about so many things. I don't think he has had a very happy life.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm intrigued by Cherries on Snow. Is it similar to my favourite, Black Cherry? Love the sound of Velvet Cupcake too! Time to go candle shopping, I think!

Also, soy candles? Really? :rolleyes:

Cherries on snow is a brighter red colour and has a hint of almond in it.

I have had soy candles in the past, mixed reviews really. Yes they burn cleaner, you can even rub the melted soy wax into dry skin( so I have been told) but the scents are a bit hit and miss, more so than Yankee.
    I prefer to put a shade on the candle which traps a lot of the soot when you snuff them out.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <snip>

Also, soy candles? Really? :rolleyes:

Why the rolleyes? The poster was right- paraffin (petroleum based wax) tends to burn black whereas plant based wax, like wax from soy, is much cleaner.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Why the rolleyes? The poster was right- paraffin (petroleum based wax) tends to burn black whereas plant based wax, like wax from soy, is much cleaner.

I just think it sounds unnecessary. Unless you regularly cover every available surface with lit candles, why would you want or need 'cleaner' ones? Paraffin candles burn black, yes, but we're not talking thick plumes of black smoke here, unless you are using really cheap ones. I wasn't rolling my eyes at the poster, as such, just at the concept.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think it sounds unnecessary. Unless you regularly cover every available surface with lit candles, why would you want or need 'cleaner' ones? Paraffin candles burn black, yes, but we're not talking thick plumes of black smoke here, unless you are using really cheap ones. I wasn't rolling my eyes at the poster, as such, just at the concept.

Geez. We're just talking about candles, right? What's wrong with the concept? I burn a lot of tea lights made from paraffin and there is a definite black build up on the nearby mirror. It's not a big deal, just something to consider.

If you are loyal to paraffin, then by all means burn paraffin, but there's nothing wrong with a having a choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been into Asda they had 5 " flavours" of the home style one (made by Yankee) they had a cherry one that smelled a bit like Cherries on snow, a mixed berries one, forget me not, a white" clean scent" and a vanilla cupcake one , £12 for the large and £8 for the medium. They also had tarts.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Just been into Asda they had 5 " flavours" of the home style one (made by Yankee) they had a cherry one that smelled a bit like Cherries on snow, a mixed berries one, forget me not, a white" clean scent" and a vanilla cupcake one , £12 for the large and £8 for the medium. They also had tarts.
    How much were the tarts charging?

*chortle chortle*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hehehe I was waiting for that one :-)