Dancing with the Stars: Season 19

Comments

• DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    I'm not sure what he meant by 'talent' being decided by twitter followers and Sharna not getting the benefit (from the partners she was assigned) but I didn't read it as anything other than a response to not being chosen for a pro spot (not bringing the numbers in some way??). I didn't infer any digs about Derek or Emmy's from what he said..:confused:

I think he tweeted someone who mentioned it... Mind you I can't find it so I might be mistaken.
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    You're welcome :) . Glad that you de-lurked to join the convo :D:D

He thought he would be a big Hollywood movie star like his sister. BUT I'm sorry it's not happening. Not saying this to be unkind, it's just the reality.

His latest movie Flopped.. Like the others. The thing is, his immense popularity at Dwts isn't really translating in projects outside of the show ( touring excluded ) . I think that this is the main reason why he keeps coming back.

Tbh, I wonder why he doesn't try to expand his horizons at the West End or BTF:confused: ... He's an Outstanding choreographer and dancer.

I wouldn't say Julianne is a big Hollywood movie star either none of her movies have been massive hits. Their tour was a huge hit and Derek hinted strongly that there will be another one next year. I would love him to do a westend show he is definitely talented choreographer & dancer. He would have an incredible career as a choreographer whether for shows or music videos.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Julianne is a big Hollywood movie star either none of her movies have been massive hits. Their tour was a huge hit and Derek hinted strongly that there will be another one next year. I would love him to do a westend show he is definitely talented choreographer & dancer. He would have an incredible career as a choreographer whether for shows or music videos.

Julianne's hollywood career badly flopped :o:o . Not even her PR relationship with Ryan Secrest helped her :confused:

BIB Absolutely. I still dont know why he doesnt venture himself more in that end :confused:.
    Yes his tour was a HUGE hit so there's no surprises that he will probably do another one :).

I think that he should focus more of his energy where his talents lies. Choreographing/Dancing......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julianne's hollywood career badly flopped :o:o . Not even her PR relationship with Ryan Secrest helped her :confused:

BIB Absolutely. I still dont know why he doesnt venture himself more in that end :confused:.
    Yes his tour was a HUGE hit so there's no surprises that he will probably do another one :).

I think that he should focus more of his energy where his talents lies. Choreographing/Dancing......

The thing is, theatre is very expensive and costly. The tour Derek and Julianne did probably tested the water. Nothing worse than piling thousands into a broadway show and it not coming up. The fact the tour was sell out and very well received means a proper show will probably come onto his radar soon enough...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    The thing is, theatre is very expensive and costly. The tour Derek and Julianne did probably tested the water. Nothing worse than piling thousands into a broadway show and it not coming up. The fact the tour was sell out and very well received means a proper show will probably come onto his radar soon enough...

You're quite right :cool:
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    News on the troupe? There is no news..... http://instagram.com/p/rp0YU2A9SN/

I'm wondering now if Gleb's wife was a bit previous with her tweet and he may not feature at all :(.

I wonder, too, what Sharna's reaction would be if they offered her a spot in the troupe. I guess if she's under contract she'd be obliged to accept, but I could imagine her telling them to sling their hook!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully Gleb Mrs didn't jinx him :o:o:o !!!

Poor Sharna IF she's relegated to Troupe member :(. I have a feeling that this might be the case >:( >:( !!! I'll rather have her not accept it BUT IF she's STILL under contract, she has to.

WOW Krystin looks quite different without make up ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News on the troupe? There is no news..... http://instagram.com/p/rp0YU2A9SN/

I'm wondering now if Gleb's wife was a bit previous with her tweet and he may not feature at all :(.

I wonder, too, what Sharna's reaction would be if they offered her a spot in the troupe. I guess if she's under contract she'd be obliged to accept, but I could imagine her telling them to sling their hook!
    Hopefully Gleb Mrs didn't jinx him :o:o:o !!!

Poor Sharna IF she's relegated to Troupe member :(. I have a feeling that this might be the case >:( >:( !!! I'll rather have her not accept it BUT IF she's STILL under contract, she has to.

WOW Krystin looks quite different without make up ....

Wasn't Tristan under contract too and was he not offered a place on the troupe but didn't take it? Sasha was a last minute addition last series I think they can turned it down & I think Sharna will and will look at other options out there a la Tristan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Tristan under contract too and was he not offered a place on the troupe but didn't take it? Sasha was a last minute addition last series I think they can turned it down & I think Sharna will and will look at other options out there a la Tristan

BIB Hmmmm...Im not sure :confused: IDK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being under contract doesn't necessarily mean you join the show! Kym and Anna are still under contract, and they're off doing their own thing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm speculating, of course, but I don't suppose all the contracts are exactly the same (some of the pros, I'm certain, get much more latitude than others), but if Tristan was offered a troupe position (and I hadn't heard that), then I imagine it might have been a 'sorry we've ditched you at the last minute and made you look like an eejit - do you fancy going back in the troupe as a sop? :)' .... which I imagine he politely declined ;-).

Forcing someone to work for you who doesn't want to be there can do more harm than good, so I expect they always take a view on it. With Sasha and Henry I reckon they know they both want to be back on the pro roster and would play nice if offered troupe positions. Tristan made it clear he wanted to get out of Hollywood and they helped him out.

Sharna is no shrinking violet and would probably tell them where to stick their contract - unless she really wants back in at some point and has to hold her tongue. If so, I hope her bf hasn't burnt her bridges, or she'll find herself consigned evermore to DwtS cruises :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm speculating, of course, but I don't suppose all the contracts are exactly the same (some of the pros, I'm certain, get much more latitude than others), but if Tristan was offered a troupe position (and I hadn't heard that), then I imagine it might have been a 'sorry we've ditched you at the last minute and made you look like an eejit - do you fancy going back in the troupe as a sop? :)' .... which I imagine he politely declined ;-).

Forcing someone to work for you who doesn't want to be there can do more harm than good, so I expect they always take a view on it. With Sasha and Henry I reckon they know they both want to be back on the pro roster and would play nice if offered troupe positions. Tristan made it clear he wanted to get out of Hollywood and they helped him out.

Sharna is no shrinking violet and would probably tell them where to stick their contract - unless she really wants back in at some point and has to hold her tongue. If so, I hope her bf hasn't burnt her bridges, or she'll find herself consigned evermore to DwtS cruises :o

BIB Oh dear...I hope NOT.
    I still think that one of the reasons why she got axed of the pro line up is because she pissed someone at the top for whatever reasons; to get rid of her like that without even a phone call seems really harsh....
    She is very outspoken.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Kristyn

Cheryl was going to sit out this season then changed her mind last minute but it was Sharna she replaced it was Jenna! no word on the troupe as yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Kristyn

Cheryl was going to sit out this season then changed her mind last minute but it was[n't] Sharna she replaced it was Jenna! no word on the troupe as yet

Crumbs! They really didn't want Sharna, did they? :o (I like Cheryl, but she could do with resting, I think)
    Kristyn's instagram - http://instagram.com/p/rscPjbA9VV/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crumbs! They really didn't want Sharna, did they? :o (I like Cheryl, but she could do with resting, I think)
    Kristyn's instagram - http://instagram.com/p/rscPjbA9VV/

That's what I thought, I thought she did a good job with Charlie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He might have a busy pro, and he'll be working when she's working, and they rehearse before/after...

Oprah, anyone? XD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl is like the " male Derek Hough " of this show. She is really likeable, helped to make the show popular and is an excellent teacher....She is one of the 3 female pros (Kym and Karina ) who I think can leave the show and come WHEN she wants to even if its at the last min ...and she HAS EARNED that imo. I may not always be a fan of her during some seasons but I think that she is an excellent teacher and has earned her stripes !!!
    So I hope that some people DON'T start blaming Sharna being axed because of Cheryl; Blame TPTB.

Hmmm..her coming back like this at the last min means that a celebrity probably requested her (and she likes whoever it is ....) that's what happens......generally

I cant believe they even considered Jenna for Cheryl's spot :o ? WTF is this show coming up to :o ??? I dont even want to see Jenna on the show next season as a pro !!!!!!!

Congrats to Derek :) and hopefully this new venture works out for him.....I know some Troupe members are hoping that it FINALLY works out for him so that he can leave DWTS for good :D and let them his place :D:D
  • Andrew_MAndrew_M Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've probably missed it but who's Jenna??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew_M wrote: »
    I've probably missed it but who's Jenna??

SYTYCD alumni and was in the troupe last year.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm...Allison is an amazing dancer BUT she's not even a trained ballroom or Latin dancer :confused::confused: SO is this becoming the new norm on Scd and Dwts ? Hiring pros with not very much experience in Latin and ballroom :confused:
    She's a trained contemporary dancer.

(

Alison has made a very nice career in Contemporary but was always a very accomplished Ballroom Dancer (although not progressing through the Traditional ranks).

SytycD had enough Ballroom people in S2 so pushed the contemporary talents she had more.

That said I believe she has got the nod here on DwtS because of her Choreography abilities plus the recognition she has with the younger viewers (Which DwtS seem to crave) and she may bring her Hubby along for an appearance or two.

I do agree with you that both shows seem (behind the scenes, unofficially like) to have agreed to work together in a fashion to benefit each other in a way not really seen on U.S T.v before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raven wrote: »
    Alison has made a very nice career in Contemporary but was always a very accomplished Ballroom Dancer (although not progressing through the Traditional ranks).

SytycD had enough Ballroom people in S2 so pushed the contemporary talents she had more.

That said I believe she has got the nod here on DwtS because of her Choreography abilities plus the recognition she has with the younger viewers (Which DwtS seem to crave) and she may bring her Hubby along for an appearance or two.

I do agree with you that both shows seem (behind the scenes, unofficially like) to have agreed to work together in a fashion to benefit each other in a way not really seen on U.S T.v before.

You could be right but I can't find any evidence of this even the abc doesn't mention anything about ballroom training & you would think that they would

Here's her official bio, per ABC:
    Allison Holker is an Emmy nominated dancer and choreographer. Holker was nominated with Derek Hough for a 2013 Outstanding Choreography Emmy award for their work on Dancing with The Stars. She was also a featured dancer in two of the other nominated pieces that year. Along with her fellow Emmy-nominated choreographers, Holker prepared a piece that was performed to rave reviews at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards with Neil Patrick Harris.
    Holker began her dance training at the age of nine when she enrolled as a student at The Dance Club in Orem, UT. While there, she specialized in Contemporary, Ballet, Jazz and Tap, and performed in the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics. She has won numerous dance titles including her first National competition in Co DANCE in 2004 and as the National Senior Outstanding Dancer at the New York City Dance Alliance in 2005.
    Holker first burst onto the scene when she competed in Season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance. Her skill and popularity led to an invitation to return as an All-Star in season seven, where she met fellow dancer Stephen “tWitch” Boss. They were married in December 2013.
    When not filming or traveling around the country teaching dance, she is working on her new dancewear line, Creative Kin. Holker makes her home in Los Angeles with her five-year-old daughter and husband. They most recently collaborated as choreographers for Ellen DeGeneres’ Oscars promo directed by Bridesmaids’ Paul Feig, featuring 250 dancers. This is Allison’s first year as a Pro on Dancing with the Stars.

Alison is an amazing dancer, one of my favourite contemporary dancer but I don't see how she is qualified to teach or choreograph ballroom dances especially over someone with Sharna's experience. The only ballroom I have seen Alison do was choreographed by someone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could be right but I can't find any evidence of this even the abc doesn't mention anything about ballroom training & you would think that they would

I've had a look too and haven't found any mention of ballroom training anywhere. The dance school she attended (and taught at) doesn't appear to even teach ballroom except in social 'date night' sessions for adults :p. That's not to say she didn't take classes somewhere else along the way, of course, but I can't find any mention...

I'm sure she's picked up enough from sytycd and Ballroom with a Twist as well as performances on DwtS) to perform the various styles competently, but you have to wonder if she's really going to be a convincing teacher - especially if she gets someone capable. Still, the ballroom pros blag through jazz, contemporary, Argentine Tango, Bangra, Bollywood etc, etc, so perhaps she'll turn out to be the one with the advantage in the current era of DwtS :blush::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a look too and haven't found any mention of ballroom training anywhere. The dance school she attended (and taught at) doesn't appear to even teach ballroom except in social 'date night' sessions for adults :p. That's not to say she didn't take classes somewhere else along the way, of course, but I can't find any mention...

I'm sure she's picked up enough from sytycd and Ballroom with a Twist as well as performances on DwtS) to perform the various styles competently, but you have to wonder if she's really going to be a convincing teacher - especially if she gets someone capable. Still, the ballroom pros blag through jazz, contemporary, Argentine Tango, Bangra, Bollywood etc, etc, so perhaps she'll turn out to be the one with the advantage in the current era of DwtS :blush::(

Unfortunately that seem to be the case even Tony decided that ballroom technique, style or contents wasn't important last season. I sadly believe the rumours they were going back to basics this season unfortunately the evidence seems to be suggesting otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dance school she attended (and taught at) doesn't appear to even teach ballroom except in social 'date night' sessions for adults :p.
    Sorry to quote myself, but I'm not sure this is absolutely correct - it was just based on a cursory glance at their website. I think Derek and Julianne first took classes in Latin American, at the same place, so perhaps Allison did too. But as you said kp2ni, it's odd ABC (or anyone) isn't mentioning it....