DC Cinematic Universe-destined to fail or succeed?

1235»

Comments

• RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    Civil War was actually one of the better ones (ending was weak though). I thought Chris Evans was great as Captain America, and the airport battle was really cool. The problem with Disney Marvel movies is how paint by numbers they all feel. Maybe Edgar Wright didn't want to colour inside the lines and that's why they dropped him from Ant Man? I prefer director driven movies rather than studio driven. But I do understand why Disney adopt this approach, it's certainly worked for them. But yeah, Civil War I can recommend. :)

Loads of stuff coming out about studio interference on Suicide Squad.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Flash525 those questions about Bruce dream I assume will be answered in the Justice League and maybe the Flash film.
    You hope..
    My way that I took Bruce dream sequence was that it was a warning from the Flash of a potentual future to Bruce but that he had come to early in timeline to warn him!
    How does that make it more relevant? I could swap the name Stark with Wayne in that sentence and make the exact same point about BvS.
    I have no problem with Barry coming back in time to warn Bruce of a possible future. The problem is that he didn't/ Bruce dreamt that he did. How? that's what isn't explained. It's all good and well setting the groundwork for future films, and throwing in easter eggs for the fans, but even said fans can't relate to Barry imposing dreams on Bruce Wayne. It hasn't happened in the comics at all. Why should it here? The dream sequences should have either been from Barry's perspective (and then have him going back in time to warn Bruce) or not at all.
    Whatever the explanation turns out to be, it seems to me completely nonsensical to complain about the movie laying the ground work for future installments and plot points in the series, when this has always been hailed as a great thing, when Marvel has done it. Did anyone flip out, when the numbers on Lost weren't explained in the first episode?
    Marvel has done it better. Their subtle connections to their other films have been mere mentions, or afterscene credits.

Ultimately, anything to do with a future where Superman turns evil is going to be a good ten years (at least) away yet. I doubt they're going to throw time travel into the first flash film, as it would be too soon. I suspect that'll be the Flash sequel where he's jumping through time at will.
  • TheAngryGermanTheAngryGerman Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheAngryGerman i hadn't mentioned Lois and Clark relationship before my previous post so how am i going on about it if I've only mentioned it once?

I was referring to the films where Lois is nothing but a damsel in distress.
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I have no problem with Barry coming back in time to warn Bruce of a possible future. The problem is that he didn't/ Bruce dreamt that he did. How? that's what isn't explained.
    But there was no need to explain it at this point. It's (presumably) a mystery they set up to pay off later. I could point out dozens of things that weren't explained in the movie, but were far more crucial to what little plot there actually was. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly want to defend the movie, I thought it was an absolute abomination, but with so many things to complain about, the dream sequence seems like a weird choice to me, as it obviously hasn't fully played out yet. It's a bit like complaining that we don't know where Woman Woman came from, and why she can't fly, like she can in the comics, or why it wasn't explained how the dirt on Clark's grave started to levitate just before the movie ended. I'm reasonably confident that will be explained too ;)
    ... It hasn't happened in the comics at all. Why should it here?
    None of these movies, whether it's DC or Marvel, have ever been particularly beholden to what happens in the comics. You know that.
    Marvel has done it better.
    I think they've done most things better, but if DC can tie in the dream sequence to events taking place in the next or future JL movies, they might arguably have done something more sophisticated, and certainly different, than Marvel. You watch The Flash TV show, and they have had similar setups that were paid off later too. The fact that on this case it was done via what seemed like a dream is completely irrelevant.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    But there was no need to explain it at this point. It's (presumably) a mystery they set up to pay off later.
    Honestly, I'm not sure they will.
    I could point out dozens of things that weren't explained in the movie, but were far more crucial to what little plot there actually was.
    Lets have a bit of fun, shall we? Please fire those points out for me, and I'll have a crack at explaining them.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly want to defend the movie, I thought it was an absolute abomination, but with so many things to complain about, the dream sequence seems like a weird choice to me, as it obviously hasn't fully played out yet.
    The dream sequences aside, I didn't think the film was actually that bad, apart from the casting of Lex Luther; that was pretty tragic. I wasn't aware either how close Gotham and Metropolis were to each other, so it'll be interesting to see where Superman (and Flash etc) are when Batman is being beaten bloody in his solo movie.
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Lot of stuff coming out about studio interference on Suicide Squad.

Heard that happened during post production, not during shooting so it's not really the same thing. I am disappointed that WB aren't making any alternate cuts available though, I would like to see David Ayers original cut. I'd also like to see more of Jared Leto's Joker as what we did see just wasn't enough to form any definitive opinions in comparison to other takes on the character.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    TheAngryGernan so you are refering to the plot device of using Lois aa damsel in distress when you said stop doing it?