For the people that do celebrate valentines

2»

Comments

• kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    A few years back we reared a baby Hedgehog by hand so they have a significance to us... :)

I'm like that when it comes to the cards I give to loved ones, even gifts. I like to really give something really thoughtful and special.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went out for a late lunch as we didn't want to do a crowded restaurant in the evening. We'll have a take-away tonight so the kids can feel like they're a part of it too. :D And some rosé a bit later.

This morning we exchanged cards a bit of a chocolate. It was funny, our cards were almost identical; I opened mine and thought, 'this looks like the one I got him', so I said, 'look at your card!' We had a good laugh over that. Geez, you'd almost think we were married or something.:cool:

Ha ha - aww. Great idea about lunch, we decided to go for a valentine's meal last night to our favourite Thai restaurant, still the same lovely atmosphere, but not crowded so it felt more special, like it was all laid on just for us and a few others.

The first challenge when we exchange cards is to remember where we've hidden them, and then hunt for our glasses to read them! Even after 25 years, my husband always forgets he's supposed to be a secret admirer and signs his name on the card! The one year he DID remember there should be some mystery on the card somewhere, he put MY name with a question mark ...so he put "To: ?? " and still signed it! lol

This year's card said "We're a perfect pair" A right pair more like!
    Forum Member
    Ha ha - aww. Great idea about lunch, we decided to go for a valentine's meal last night to our favourite Thai restaurant, still the same lovely atmosphere, but not crowded so it felt more special, like it was all laid on just for us and a few others.

The first challenge when we exchange cards is to remember where we've hidden them, and then hunt for our glasses to read them! Even after 25 years, my husband always forgets he's supposed to be a secret admirer and signs his name on the card! The one year he DID remember there should be some mystery on the card somewhere, he put MY name with a question mark ...so he put "To: ?? " and still signed it! lol

This year's card said "We're a perfect pair" A right pair more like!

The very first valentines card my boyfriend got me was a really lovely, witty, complimentary birthday card. I didn't realise until I saw that he had crossed out the birthday bit and wrote Happy Valentines in. It made me giggle.

That's so lovely after 25 years, my grandparents have been married for 48 years and my Nan still wakes up to a big beautiful bunch of flowers being delivered on Valentines.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    The very first valentines card my boyfriend got me was a really lovely, witty, complimentary birthday card. I didn't realise until I saw that he had crossed out the birthday bit and wrote Happy Valentines in. It made me giggle.

That's so lovely after 25 years, my grandparents have been married for 48 years and my Nan still wakes up to a big beautiful bunch of flowers being delivered on Valentines.

My hubby and I love to joke around on special occasions. One year for my birthday, I opened his card and read it out loud and said 'Happy Birthday, Auntie?' and looked at him, kind of puzzled. He was about to grab the card out of my hand, looking embarrassed, when I looked at him and said, 'Gotcha!' :D
    Forum Member
    My hubby and I love to joke around on special occasions. One year for my birthday, I opened his card and read it out loud and said 'Happy Birthday, Auntie?' and looked at him, kind of puzzled. He was about to grab the card out of my hand, looking embarrassed, when I looked at him and said, 'Gotcha!' :D

Two of the most important things in a relationship, communication and laughter.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's lovely to see how some couples celebrate Valentines Day but in all honesty do couples that have been a long time together argue at any time, is the secret to longtevity as a couple is knowing how to argue?:confused:
  • mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of the most important things in a relationship, communication and laughter.

Money and Sex?
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    It's lovely to see how some couples celebrate Valentines Day but in all honesty do couples that have been a long time together argue at any time, is the secret to longtevity as a couple is knowing how to argue?:confused:

I don't think it's about knowing how to argue, I think it's more about knowing how to compromise. You aren't going to agree on everything all the time, you shouldn't feel like you should either, but what's important is knowing that sometimes you need to step out of your shoes for a minute and see it from someone else's point of view.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote:
    I don't think it's about knowing how to argue, I think it's more about knowing how to compromise. You aren't going to agree on everything all the time, you shouldn't feel like you should either, but what's important is knowing that sometimes you need to step out of your shoes for a minute and see it from someone else's point of view.
    I understand compromise is important and sometimes it may be about personal circumstances.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not do anything for Valentine's Day.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the other valentines thread I realise I may be in the minority here but I do celebrate valentines, and yes I do show my partner love every day and yes we do special things all year around but we also celebrate valentines.

So if you do as well what will you be doing today?

I left a card and a sexy beast teddy on the bedside for him before I left for work this morning, we aren't going out for dinner either he'll cook or we'll get a take away. I don't know what I am getting yet as I'm at work all day, quite excited to get home this evening. (As I am every day of course :D)
    That makes 2 of you then, as I chated to a guy at the checkout yesterday, who had got a lovely card, held a bunch of flowers, and asked him if he really believed it in, and he said he did. He thought it was sad that I didn't, but told him things change, as things do over time, and have got used to hub forgetting then apologising to me. But hope you had a sweet time, and something to savour when your OH forgets. :)
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Hubby excelled himself bless him. So he should have after buying me clay pidgeon shooting lessons for my birthday 3 weeks ago.>:(>:(>:( Then again although my hub is a builder his whole family going back decades were florists. Valentines is a very profitable day for florists.:)
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We bought each other cards, and I bought a card for our nine year old daughter, which she liked.

I bought some flowers, but often do anyway, so that's not so special. Also, our daughter asked if we could have a chinese take away, for a change, not because of the day, so again, a bit different but not very out of the ordinary. In fact I'd pre-made a creamy fish pie and got in a (better than usual) bottle of wine for Valentine's evening, but we'll just have that tomorrow (later today), and still enjoy it just as much.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't celebrate it in the traditional way (as I'm single). I had a girly dinner party at mine with three of my bezzies. I made homemade salsa and nachos, my pal prepared baked Camembert and toasts, I cooked roast chicken with roasted veggies and potato dauphinoise, and made these special Valentine cupcakes:

D5BB6831-E5F2-4DF3-B62E-691BB48A1279_zpsowz6j7wu.jpg

809476F1-E525-49C8-8222-51A6F611354A_zpsrjfj1dnd.jpg

We had a lovely evening. Eating and drinking with friends is always fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Don't need ONEday to show my love,
    I do it all through the year....ANOTHER RIP OFF DAY.

It's a shame no one booked you a visit to specsavers for valentines.;-)

We exchanged cards and gifts in the morning and last night had a bottle of champers, some dim sum and a selection of mini desserts. It was quite cosy really as it was blowing a gale outside, but we were all toasty and safe inside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We never normally celebrate it, my husband is normally rubbish at being romantic but yesterday he came home with a dozen red roses, a new posh pink housecoat and the m and s dine in ( which he cooked ) . I was totally gobsmacked and also felt terrible as I hadn't even got him a card lol!

We did agree nothing to be bought though, I'm not miserable :)
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    We did agree nothing to be bought though, I'm not miserable :)

Yes we agreed no presents a while back so it's just the cards, although occasionally I'll buy some chocolates too...