Sir Alan Duncan criticises Israeli settlements and gets called 'anti-Semitic'

Comments

• GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Beanybun wrote: »
    1. Yeah, like in relation to this one, for example only...

"On July 13, 2004, the U.S. House of Representatives passed Resolution HR 713 deploring "the misuse of the International Court of Justice (ICJ)... for the narrow political purpose of advancing the Palestinian position on matters Palestinian authorities have said should be the subject of negotiations between the parties." [16] The Resolution further stated that twenty three countries, including every member of the G8 and several other European states, had "submitted objections on various grounds against the ICJ hearing the case."".

2. Repeating the same crap and using inflammatory terms such as "land grabs" of itself delegitimises, or seeks to deliegitimise, all that remains. However, this doesn't improve your argument. Now youre back in "public face" Defensive mode but It's called obfuscation, something you appear to fancy yourself as a world expert at. Put simply, You're the kid that throws a rock through the school window then runs away, swears blind it's not him but is covered in brick dust.

Are you saying the views I espouse on here about the Israel/Palestine problem are lies? :confused:
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying the views I espouse on here about the Israel/Palestine problem are lies? :confused:

Ah, now we reach the nub of the matter...

Your views are your views. And you are entitled to express them. And as I've said before, I don't consider you to be in any way anti Semitic; your posts on this and other subjects illustrate this. Dare I say it, I sometimes even share them.

But I also reserve the right and will continue to vigorously oppose both threads and Individual posts designed to consistently undermine the legitimacy of the Israeli state or otherwise place it on some kind of pedestal, subject to a unique type and depth of scrutiny. I understand that anti semitism doesn't always underly such posts but knowingly or otherwise, it often legitimises it.

I am less generous in my assessment of certain other posters, new and old, who shall remain nameless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your views are your views. And you are entitled to express them. And as I've said before, I don't consider you to be in any way anti Semitic; your posts on this and other subjects illustrate this. Dare I say it, I sometimes even share them.

But I also reserve the right and will continue to vigorously oppose both threads and Individual posts designed to consistently undermine the legitimacy of the Israeli state or otherwise place it on some kind of pedestal, subject to a unique type and depth of scrutiny. I understand that anti semitism doesn't always underly such posts but knowingly or otherwise, it often legitimises it.

I am less generous in my assessment of certain other posters, new and old, who shall remain nameless.

Like that carries any weight...

This might though:

Did you hear that the president of Israel said Israel is a “sick society”? Reuven Rivlin, a Likudnik, said this over the weekend. There’s been lots of coverage in Israel, but as Sullivan points out, the declaration hasn’t gotten much attention stateside. I should think it would be viral.

The Jewish Telegraphic Agency’s report:

“It is time to honestly admit that Israeli society is ill – and it is our duty to treat this disease,” Rivlin told the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities on Sunday at a conference titled “From Xenophobia to Accepting the Other.”

“The tension between Jews and Arabs within the State of Israel has risen to record heights, and the relationship between all parties has reached a new low,” he said. “We have all witnessed the shocking sequence of incidents and violence taking place by both sides. The epidemic of violence is not limited to one sector or another, it permeates every area and doesn’t skip any arena. There is violence in soccer stadiums as well as in the academia. There is violence in the social media and in everyday discourse, in hospitals and in schools.”

From the Jerusalem Post:

The time has come to admit that Israel is a sick society, with an illness that demands treatment, President Reuven Rivlin said at the opening session on Sunday of a conference on From Hatred of the Stranger to Acceptance of the Other.

Rivlin wondered aloud whether Jews and Arabs had abandoned the secret of dialogue.

With regard to Jews he said: “I’m not asking if they’ve forgotten how to be Jews, but if they’ve forgotten how to be decent human beings. Have they forgotten how to converse?” In Rivlin’s eyes, the academy has a vital task to reduce violence in Israeli society by encouraging dialogue and the study of different cultures and languages with the aim of promoting mutual understanding, so that there can be civilized meetings between the sectors of society.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article40059.htm

Is he anti semitic too?
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »

This might though:

Did you hear that the president of Israel said Israel is a “sick society”? Reuven Rivlin, a Likudnik, said this over the weekend. There’s been lots of coverage in Israel, but as Sullivan points out, the declaration hasn’t gotten much attention stateside. I should think it would be viral.

“It is time to honestly admit that Israeli society is ill – and it is our duty to treat this disease,” Rivlin told the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities on Sunday at a conference titled “From Xenophobia to Accepting the Other.”

“The tension between Jews and Arabs within the State of Israel has risen to record heights, and the relationship between all parties has reached a new low,” he said. “We have all witnessed the shocking sequence of incidents and violence taking place by both sides. The epidemic of violence is not limited to one sector or another, it permeates every area and doesn’t skip any arena. There is violence in soccer stadiums as well as in the academia. There is violence in the social media and in everyday discourse, in hospitals and in schools.”

From the Jerusalem Post:

The time has come to admit that Israel is a sick society, with an illness that demands treatment, President Reuven Rivlin said at the opening session on Sunday of a conference on From Hatred of the Stranger to Acceptance of the Other.

Rivlin wondered aloud whether Jews and Arabs had abandoned the secret of dialogue.

With regard to Jews he said: “I’m not asking if they’ve forgotten how to be Jews, but if they’ve forgotten how to be decent human beings. Have they forgotten how to converse?” In Rivlin’s eyes, the academy has a vital task to reduce violence in Israeli society by encouraging dialogue and the study of different cultures and languages with the aim of promoting mutual understanding, so that there can be civilized meetings between the sectors of society.

Is he anti semitic too?

Rather than take pieces why not read the full aritcles.

http://www.jta.org/2014/10/19/news-opinion/israel-middle-east/rivlin-violence-an-epidemic-in-israeli-society
    The president added that he has been verbally abused, including on his Facebook page.
    Rivlin said that Israeli academia can play a “crucial role” in reducing violence in Israeli society.

“The academic sphere, in which cultures and languages ​​are taught from a desire to get to know them deeper, where there is a ‘you and I’ affinity, there is a place which generates not only learning but also a real encounter,” he said.

Rivlin called on the academy to be “a space which prepares a new generation of Israeli citizens to talk to each other, and especially to learn how to listen to each other.”

Read more: http://www.jta.org/2014/10/19/news-opinion/israel-middle-east/rivlin-violence-an-epidemic-in-israeli-society#ixzz3H9nJtFYX

Rivlin was speaking at the opening session of a conference entitled "From Hatred of the Stranger to Acceptance of the Other," on the escalation of tensions between Jews and Arabs.
    http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/President-Rivlin-Time-to-admit-that-Israel-is-a-sick-society-that-needs-treatment-379223

"The most difficult task confronting the academy, Bauer said, out was how to define incitement in relation to freedom of speech. He cautioned that freedom of speech must never be sacrificed on the altar of incitement. His own definition of incitement was when an individual or a group, through speech or written material, harms and humiliates another individual or group, sparking others to engage in physical or psychological violence against them and even going so far as to kill them."

What is commenting on was the rise in tensions between Arabs and Jews during the conflict earlier this year and how it gave way to extremist groups, his point is that there has to a future in which open dialogue can create understanding and prevent it happening.

So he was not anti-Semitic because when he wants is a society where both Arabs and Jews can peacefully co-exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This might though:

From the Jerusalem Post:

Is he anti semitic too?

Lol, like, I'm so very interested in your opinion.

Of course, you might have tried this quote from yesterday, at the funeral of three month old Chaya Braun, murdered by (a thankfully dead) hamas terrorist.

“The incitement on the Arab street and around Jerusalem is increasing,” Rivlin said at the service, according to Israel National News. “The incitement which is backed by the leadership in the Arab world, can wreak havoc on the delicate fabric of life in Jerusalem, and carry us all into a maelstrom of destruction and pain.”

Or you could have been honest (yeah, I know it's tough for you...) and accurately quoted his comments:-

JERUSALEM (JTA) — The epidemic of violence permeates every sector of Israel, the country’s president, Reuven Rivlin, said in an address.
    The president added that he has been verbally abused, including on his Facebook page.
    Rivlin said that Israeli academia can play a “crucial role” in reducing violence in Israeli society.
    “The academic sphere, in which cultures and languages ​​are taught from a desire to get to know them deeper, where there is a ‘you and I’ affinity, there is a place which generates not only learning but also a real encounter,” he said.
    Rivlin called on the academy to be “a space which prepares a new generation of Israeli citizens to talk to each other, and especially to learn how to listen to each other.”

Surely, even you can see the obvious, gaping inconsistency in your so called argument. In particular, how come this terrible, diseased Israeli society, incapable of compromise or humanity that you speak of, elects a President such as Rivlin, willing to engage in the important, inter faith issues?

Don't bust a blood vessel working that one out, you numpty...

;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if any poster on here, or anyone in the media said

With regard to Jews he said: “I’m not asking if they’ve forgotten how to be Jews, but if they’ve forgotten how to be decent human beings. Have they forgotten how to converse?”

there would be cries of anti semitism from the usual quarters.

Outside of zionist keyboard warriors and Islamophobes with racist undertones, the rest of the world is seeing and saying what they see. The cries of anti semitic every time anyone criticises Israel is now meaningless. it's been used too many times to be considered truthful. Using it on here is just as meaningless. Israel needs to modify it's behaviour and start acting with the world instead of against it for it's own ends. One can only hope it happens soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With regard to Jews he said: “I’m not asking if they’ve forgotten how to be Jews, but if they’ve forgotten how to be decent human beings. Have they forgotten how to converse?”

Outside of zionist keyboard warriors and Islamophobes with racist undertones, the rest of the world is seeing, and saying, what they see. The cries of anti semitic every time anyone criticises Israel is now meaningless. it's been used too many times to be considered truthful. Using it on here is just as meaningless. Israel needs to modify it's behaviour and start acting with the world instead of against it for it's own ends. One can only hope it happens soon.

Yep, ignore the facts and rely on a single sentence, taken entirely out of context, because you think suits your utterly absurd agenda....

I ask you again; why do you continue to demonise Israel, when it's own elected president is calling for inter racial understanding?

Why not criticise the Palestinians for choosing to be represented, conversely, by a "government" commited to Israel's destruction and the murder of all Jews?

Do you accuse every UK resident of being an incorrigible racist, because some idiots belong to or support the BNP?

Complete joke.
    Forum Member

Revlin is asking the question in the context of what happened over the summer with Gaza and how the situation created animosity between Arabs and Jews in Israel.

He is not criticising all Jewish people, all of Israel but the groups of people who caused suffering to other when the conflict was ongoing.
    Outside of zionist keyboard warriors and Islamophobes with racist undertones, the rest of the world is seeing, and saying, what they see. The cries of anti semitic every time anyone criticises Israel is now meaningless. it's been used too many times to be considered truthful. Using it on here is just as meaningless. Israel needs to modify it's behaviour and start acting with the world instead of against it for it's own ends. One can only hope it happens soon.

You were doing well until you went into the usual Jewish undertones about "zionist keyboard warriors". Kettle, pot, black.

Hamas need to modify it behaviour and start acting like every other legitimate government in the world. You can keep hoping it happens soon but is unlikely due it's Islamist nature.

What behaviour does Israel have to modify ? It's a secular, democratic state just like the UK but unlike the UK it's every action, reaction and response is micro-analyzed.
    Forum Member

Do you mean the legitimacy of the Israeli state in its current, illegal borders here?

And all states in the world must be held up to scrutiny in their deeds - Israel is no exception.
    Forum Member

Revlin is asking the question in the context of what happened over the summer with Gaza and how the situation created animosity between Arabs and Jews in Israel.

He is not criticising all Jewish people, all of Israel but the groups of people who caused suffering to other when the conflict was ongoing.

You were doing well until you went into the usual Jewish undertones about "zionist keyboard warriors". Kettle, pot, black.

Hamas need to modify it behaviour and start acting like every other legitimate government in the world. You can keep hoping it happens soon but is unlikely due it's Islamist nature.

What behaviour does Israel have to modify ? It's a secular, democratic state just like the UK but unlike the UK it's every action, reaction and response is micro-analyzed.

No, it is not just like the UK as Israel describes itself as a "Jewish and democratic state".

The UK does not give any ethnoreligious group as being one of the bases on which its society is founded.
    Forum Member
    No, it is not just like the UK as Israel describes itself as a "Jewish and democratic state".

The UK does not give any ethnoreligious group as being one of the bases on which its society is founded.

Jewish because of it's heritage and history not because of race, democratic because it's secular and the Isreali's(Arabs and Jews) can choose who they want as their leader.

Do you object to the Islamic Republic of Iran as being a Muslim is the only acceptable religion in its society.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Land "rights" going back millennia aren't "basics".

It is a laughable notion.

Would people here say that if it was about part of the UK?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jewish because of it's heritage and history not because of race, democratic because it's secular and the Isreali's(Arabs and Jews) can choose who they want as their leader.
    Is the UK an occupying power, does it have ultra-religious political parties in government?
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Is the UK an occupying power, does it have ultra-religious political parties in government?

The UK occupied Afghanistan and Iraq for 12 years. If you ask Argentina we occupy the Falkland Islands, we occupied Ireland in the early 20th century and whole parts of India.

Do we have an "ultra-religious political parties in government". Apparently Tony Blair though God wanted to him to invade Iraq and he prayed in times of trouble. Who knows that Cameron's religious views are but is religious.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10771339/David-Cameron-puts-God-back-into-politics.html

"Mr Cameron insisted “Some people feel that in this ever more secular age we shouldn’t talk about these things – I completely disagree.

“I believe we should be more confident about our status as a Christian country, more ambitious about expanding the role of faith-based organisations, and, frankly, more evangelical about a faith that compels us to get out there and make a difference to people’s lives.”
    Repeatedly using the words “we” and “our”, he said: “As Christians we know how powerful faith can be in the toughest of times."

So the UK has been as occupying power with religious leaders and still is if you ask some Muslims who object to the overthrow of Saddam.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you object to the Islamic Republic of Iran as being a Muslim is the only acceptable religion in its society.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot - don't you object to a country being specifically belonging to one particular religious or ethnic group? I am. In all cases, not just that of Israel.
    Forum Member

I object to any theocracy - as I object to religious indoctrination of children by all religions.

As for Israel, they themselves didn't call themselves a democracy until 1985 - before then it just called itself a Jewish state.

Israeli Arabs are still treated very much as second class citizens compared to Israeli Jews.
    Forum Member
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Would people here say that if it was about part of the UK?

I don't know what you mean.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what you mean.

You know if it was from our past to do with issues here in the UK.
    Forum Member
    Net Nut wrote: »
    You know if it was from our past to do with issues here in the UK.

I doubt very much Boudicca and co have much effect on the policies 21st century governments in this country implement, do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt very much Boudicca and co have much effect on the policies 21st century governments in this country implement, do you?

Cop out.

How about Churchill; recent enough for you?

What about the Falklands?

Do you plan on boycotting UK goods, or marching outside parliament with banners equating the UK government with the Nazis?

Thought not.

You're great at switching the subject when your points fail, then revisiting the same old ground when you think everyone has forgotten the nonsensical crud you spewed out two ot three threads ago...
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about them? Argentina invaded, we booted them out.
    Forum Member
    Cop out.

How about Churchill; recent enough for you?

Do you plan on boycotting UK goods, or marching outside parliament with banners equating the UK government with the Nazis?

Thought not.

You're great at switching the subject when your points fail, then revisiting the same old ground when you think everyone has forgotten the nonsensical crud you spewed out two ot three threads ago...

Pardon? I was responding to someone who was stating Jewish land "rights" going back millennia have a bearing on current events.

What have recent, 20th century events got to do with anything? :confused:

A thoroughly bizarre (and insulting, needless to say) contribution from you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about them? Argentina invaded, we booted them out.

I think you forgot your makeup, red nose and oversized strides.

But on the off chance you really are as "clownish" as your last post would suggest, the Falklands = classic "land grab":-

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Falkland_Islands#British_return

Or try Cyprus, for a more recent example

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus

I look forward to your engaging in a boycott of kebabs.

As if.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pardon? I was responding to someone who was stating Jewish land "rights" going back millennia have a bearing on current events.

What have recent, 20th century events got to do with anything? :confused:

A thoroughly bizarre (and insulting, needless to say) contribution from you.

Hillarious.

When we talk ancient history, it's irrelevant. When we talk recent events, it's got nothing to do with anything.

You're getting desperate now.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you forgot your makeup, red nose and oversized strides.

Ah, charming, polite and in compliance with posting standards as ever...
    But on the off chance you really are as "clownish" as your last post would suggest, the Falklands = classic "land grab":-

Nope, still not sure what your point is. We kind of discovered and named them, occupied them, had some 'issues' with the Spanish, re-occupied them, and most recently booted some uppity Argies off our land.

If we'd seized a chunk of Argentina as well, you may have a point.

Better examples from recent history are comparing and contrasting the 'annexation' of Crimea, and Netanyhau's decision to annex more of the West Bank. One resulted in much outrage and sanctions, the other... did not.