Options

The biggest problem you face in an average working day?

kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
Forum Member
I am currently at work looking up at screens as trains go from delayed to cancelled one after the other. I am trying to advise customers as best I can but as this is happening at short notice I cant give definate times. Most are decent about it, but you do get the odd one or two very shouty agressive people who you have to placate aswell. As a result I havent gone on my lunch yet as I need to be visible and available to answer customers questions.

Yesterday the only machine to top up oyster cards went down and as we cant offer oyster top up that was a huge problem with abuse from customers at having to purchase a more expensive ticket which I completely understand

Oh great now we have no available information screens as even though they were fixed less than an hour ago they have all just gone off.

So hows your day? :(

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customers are the biggest problem. Without them I'd be able to skive in peace.
  • Options
    gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Some drunken arsehole up in my face because I dont have a song that was played for the first time on the radio an hour or so ago...happens way too regularly
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »

Great, I have a day off :D
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    People who can't stop interfereing in matters which don't concern them and people who just go out of their way to be as obstructive as possible.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For any job where you deal with the public, they are generally the biggest problem. 99% of people you deal with on a daily basis are great but the 1% that are unreasonable arseholes can ruin your whole day.
  • Options
    Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of sleep. I only sleep for 4 hours.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Titan9 wrote: »
    Lack of sleep. I only sleep for 4 hours.

Yep add that to the list too just started on my 6am start 10 hr days shifts and its been so long of not getting up that early that I cant sleep at night to prepare for it. Had about 4 hours myself last night but its definately an improvement on the hour and a half I got on the first night :sleep:
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    The client, who are currently a bunch of ex-council bin men, and are possessed with that level of lazy, unionised, awkward, petty, thick, municipal mentality.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Management who don't know their ass from their elbow. They have no clue how things work because they have never actually done the job, just walked into management with some hocus pocus uni degree.
  • Options
    Abraham-44Abraham-44 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Lateness. I work for a removal company and we were 2 HOURS late for an important appointment this morning because one of our drivers fell asleep on the train and missed his stop.:mad:
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Trying to cure disease. Easier said than done!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The coffee shop not having any cans of diet coke in stock.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Trying to image 120 computers in 3 IT labs when a stupid janitor keeps switching them off! There is a big sign on them saying "DO NOT SWITCH OFF" but apparently that doesn't apply to him.

Three bloody times he did that today. He's one of those belligerant, jobsworths with a major chip on his shoulder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting until 8pm to open the whiskey.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    The client, who are currently a bunch of ex-council bin men, and are possessed with that level of lazy, unionised, awkward, petty, thick, municipal mentality.

Margaret! They let you use a computer!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At work none really. Various minor annoyance mostly. A lot of the time in order to accomplish the main task you have to do several minor tasks first. Typically it's some silly side issue that has nothing to with the task at hand (like a workstation that happens to be in the wrong domain or a server that hasn't had the right service pack applied). It's usually trivial stuff to resolve but it takes time and it derails your train of thought.

There you are all geared up to test your latest creation in all its glory and complexity and you have to pratt about for ten minutes first with some dozy maintenance task.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    I am currently at work looking up at screens as trains go from delayed to cancelled one after the other... Most are decent about it, but you do get the odd one or two very shouty agressive people who you have to placate aswell.

Well get off DS and placate them! ;)
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    My boss doesn't know I exist, thinks I'm average and nothingey, and can hardly bring himself to say hello to me. :( It's been a bad day today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're terminally understaffed but still can't afford to take anyone else on. At the moment I'm doing my job plus the job of someone who is away. And I'm not allowed to do overtime because they can't afford to pay me for it, so I have to finish it in 7.5 hours or have even more to do the following day.

Budget cuts in the NHS, everyone :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I get frustrated with my work colleagues. I really struggle when I don't think others are working to the standards that I set myself.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently at work looking up at screens as trains go from delayed to cancelled one after the other. I am trying to advise customers as best I can but as this is happening at short notice I cant give definate times. Most are decent about it, but you do get the odd one or two very shouty agressive people who you have to placate aswell. As a result I havent gone on my lunch yet as I need to be visible and available to answer customers questions.

Yesterday the only machine to top up oyster cards went down and as we cant offer oyster top up that was a huge problem with abuse from customers at having to purchase a more expensive ticket which I completely understand

Oh great now we have no available information screens as even though they were fixed less than an hour ago they have all just gone off.

Incessant technical questions from my staff, whilst I'm trying to fit in other things. But as a team leader, I do feel it is my job to help.

Also dealing with inter team disputes and other miscellaneous tittle tattle.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are so understaffed it is really hard at the moment, everyone is cranky and under pressure - roll on xmas day I cant wait to be away from work for a couple of days.