Options

Inside Death Row

kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
Forum Member
While I was watching this last night I had a discussion with my boyfriend about the fact that the prisoners serve some time first before they are informed of the time and date of their execution.

My question to you DSers is do you think it's better that they serve time first before they are given the time or date or should they be given a time and date from when they are sentenced?

Hypothetically which one would you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What?
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean the fact it can take several years for the sentence to be carried out. This is mainly due to the fact that such cases tend to go through several courts and many appeals.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They serve time so they have time to appeal, the execution is put of and put off until there is no case to answer on appeal and by then they learn the time and date of their execution.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I don't think there should be a death sentence at all.

It's a barbaric system that makes a lot of US conjecture about other countries and their practices seem positively hypocritical!
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a barbaric system that makes a lot of US conjecture about other countries and their practices seem positively hypocritical!

Executing killers is hardly the same as stoning women accused of adultery or witchcraft.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Executing killers is hardly the same as stoning women accused of adultery or witchcraft.

It's the same (perceived) eye for an eye, "baying mob" satisfying mentality though.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't either. At least in America if you get life imprisonment, it usually means life.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »

It's all barbaric.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd rather be told at the beginning rather than having to wonder if it was going to be next month, next year or whenever.
  • Options
    Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The death penalty is an archaic method of legal justice which has absolutely no place in a civilized society. I don't think it will be abolished completely in the USA anytime soon though...

I'm not even sure that it delivers a great sense of satisfaction to those who have been affected by the criminals crimes, as it normally occurs such a long time after the event that the initial rage will turn into sadness. I mean the longing for retribution which is felt initially must lower over time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »
    I don't either. At least in America if you get life imprisonment, it usually means life.

That's true, one guy on there got pardoned from execution but was sentenced to serve 150 years instead, even though it was in essence another death sentence he was happy that he was able to die on his own terms.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for it. The prisoners get plenty of chances to appeal their case and see if they can prove their innocense. We should have the death penalty here, for scummy paedos and terrorists if nothing else...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I'm all for it. The prisoners get plenty of chances to appeal their case and see if they can prove their innocense. We should have the death penalty here, for scummy paedos and terrorists if nothing else...

I do actually believe that the death penalty should be brought back for certain crimes, but watching it did make me feel a little differently towards it.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    The death penalty is an archaic method of legal justice which has absolutely no place in a civilized society. I don't think it will be abolished completely in the USA anytime soon though...

Plenty of other culprits - Many muslim countries just love it.Or don't they count as civilised ?

Whereas China - she's the Daddy!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't agree with the death penalty. Killing a killer makes you no better than they are. You are both murderers. Only difference is one is legalised murder and the other isn't. Besides keeping people waiting around for years not knowing if or when they will be legally murdered is more cruel than any spur of the moment killing. It's years of barbaric psychological torture followed by a killing.

Fine, lock em up for life. Make them suffer but how is killing someone gonna make anything any better. It's just eye for an eye revenge.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dammit, I missed that Trevor McDonald programme yesterday :( Will catch up on it later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Don't agree with the death penalty. Killing a killer makes you no better than they are. You are both murderers. Only difference is one is legalised murder and the other isn't. Besides keeping people waiting around for years not knowing if or when they will be legally murdered is more cruel than any spur of the moment killing. It's years of barbaric psychological torture followed by a killing.

Fine, lock em up for life. Make them suffer but how is killing someone gonna make anything any better. It's just eye for an eye revenge.

Agreed.
    And from what I've seen on telly.....
    I'd rather be in death row than the big brother house! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Dammit, I missed that Trevor McDonald programme yesterday :( Will catch up on it later.

Worth wathching C83
    Part two next week. :)
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I planned to watch it too, think I was on here instead. :o

Will have to try and watch it over the weekend.
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised by the amount of 'luxuries' the inmates had in their cells. I know they weren't exactly in the Ritz but i always got the impression that American prisons were ruthless, i was expecting a grey box with a toilet and a bed tbh. Definitely didn't expect to see televisions and playstations, They even had cats! Adorable ones i might add :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

Totally agree, the death penalty does nothing but satisfy blood lust and that is not what the justice system is for. I don't care how guilty they are it's archaic and barbaric and belongs in the Stone Age. And that is before we get onto the chances of killing innocent people
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Totally agree, the death penalty does nothing but satisfy blood lust and that is not what the justice system is for. I don't care how guilty they are it's archaic and barbaric and belongs in the Stone Age. And that is before we get onto the chances of killing innocent people

How about if the criminal had murdered family members?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    How about if the criminal had murdered family members?

The thing is it is not up to us to decide their fate. We can be angry and hurt but emotion should never come into the actual justice system. The justice system needs to be cold and objective, it should not be about outrage or satisfying people and their pitchforks.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "I'd like to see the bastard hang" mother in me if someone hurt/killed my kids conflicts with the "it's barbaric and has no place in a civilised society" part of me. The latter is the louder more honest side of me as thankfully I have never, and hope I never am in the situation of the former.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It irked me that the guy who was defiant and pointed out the hypocrisy of the state killing him had a point. Even if it seems like a decent punishment on paper you can't get past the fact.