The Blacklist starring James Spader (UK Pace) on Sky Living

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Starts Friday 4th October at 9pm. Looks good.

Comments

• fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of the new startups so far. It seems to owe a lot to Alias - but it's not alone in that.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen the pilot episode which has turned up on Virgin on Demand a week early.

It is nothing ground-breaking but it worth watching because of the magnetic performance of James Spader - worth the entrance fee alone.

I won't talk about what happened until after the episode has aired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I have seen the pilot episode which has turned up on Virgin on Demand a week early.

It is nothing ground-breaking but it worth watching because of the magnetic performance of James Spader - worth the entrance fee alone.

I saw that on there this morning. To begin with it seemed in danger of being a bit trite and boring like Homeland but in the end I thought it had a lot of promise.

Shame we'll have to wait two weeks til the next episode!
  • moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    This looks good. Cant wait to check it out.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It needs to be good, because it's messing Nikita around.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very good. Really enjoyed episode 1.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first episode and I thought it was excellent - I've long been a fan of James Spader and the could be an Emmy in this for him. The challenge for it will be how to keep the story going over a whole season or longer without it becoming a Villain of the Week show.

One of the best pilots I've seen for a long time - but I said that about Last Resort last year and that turned out to be a turkey.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Got this set to record so will check it out.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the chances of this being axed? Big fan of spader so im looking forward to it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

The first episode is also available on Sky On Demand
  • GibsyGibsy Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The first episode is also available on Sky On Demand

Which section....I can't seem to find it.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Whats the chances of this being axed?

Zero. The ratings were huge for the first episode.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good pilot, really enjoyed it, but as already been mentioned, it could easily fall into "villain of the week" dullness if they're not careful... Spader was excellent as ever, but he needs more chemistry with the femail lead to really make this fly, but I'm in for the next few episodes at least...
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looking forward to it, really hope it doesn't disappoint like the Following did.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Looking forward to it, really hope it doesn't disappoint like the Following did.
    Yes, I see some parallels with the Following. A good concept and a strong cast but with difficulties in keeping the story interesting over a whole season. The Following only had a 16 episodes season while I suspect The Blacklist will be aiming for a full 22-24 episode run.

I just hope that they steer clear of making Spader's character the young FBI agent's father. That would be right out of page 1 of the Big Book of TV Cliches.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Whats the chances of this being axed? Big fan of spader so im looking forward to it.

Right now, not a chance. Rated pretty well i think and with the trouble NBC is having ratings wise they will cling on to a hit for dear life.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gibsy wrote: »

I haven’t checked, but maybe its only available online and not on the Sky+ box?

I’m very surprised Sky have put this on Sky Living. I know they are planning on re-launching it as a less female orientated channel but this hasn’t been done yet, so I think a lot of people will dismiss this purely on the channel its on. Sky 1 would have been better. Or Sky Atlantic (although I appreciate that will then lose all the potential Virgin Media viewers).
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I haven’t checked, but maybe its only available online and not on the Sky+ box?

I’m very surprised Sky have put this on Sky Living. I know they are planning on re-launching it as a less female orientated channel but this hasn’t been done yet, so I think a lot of people will dismiss this purely on the channel its on. Sky 1 would have been better. Or Sky Atlantic (although I appreciate that will then lose all the potential Virgin Media viewers).

Hannibal and Elementary are on Sky Living and they're not exactly female oriented. And Dracula will be on Sky Living also.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Well, Elementary is largely about the female Watson, but I'll give you Hannibal and I'll add Criminal Minds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    ^^ Well, Elementary is largely about the female Watson, but I'll give you Hannibal and I'll add Criminal Minds.

Really? :confused: I must be watching a different show.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannibal and Elementary are on Sky Living and they're not exactly female oriented.

Elementary has a slight female ‘skew’ to it, but I admit Hannibal doesn’t.
    But I’d also say that both would probably be watched by more viewers if they were on Sky 1.

I think the problem is that the female orientated programmes on Sky Living (Britain and Irelands Next Top Model, Four Weddings etc.) gets good ratings. So a less female-skewed version of the channel will probably still include these, making it very hard to achieve a full image change. The fact that ‘The Face’ starts soon on Sky Living shows that Sky aren’t going to completely revamp the channel, so I feel the likes of The Blacklist (and Hannibal and Elementary to an extent) will remain to be slightly out of place. And Sky Living, for me, will remain the channel my wife sometimes watches. Just my opinion of course.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Catch up > Drama for SD version. HD version can be found with a blue button search!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Elementary has a slight female ‘skew’ to it, but I admit Hannibal doesn’t.
    But I’d also say that both would probably be watched by more viewers if they were on Sky 1.

I think the problem is that the female orientated programmes on Sky Living (Britain and Irelands Next Top Model, Four Weddings etc.) gets good ratings. So a less female-skewed version of the channel will probably still include these, making it very hard to achieve a full image change. The fact that ‘The Face’ starts soon on Sky Living shows that Sky aren’t going to completely revamp the channel, so I feel the likes of The Blacklist (and Hannibal and Elementary to an extent) will remain to be slightly out of place. And Sky Living, for me, will remain the channel my wife sometimes watches. Just my opinion of course.

I think you're right. I don't understand why they put dramas like this on Sky Living either when there are two other channels more suitable.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just do a search for Blac and scroll through and you'll find it.

or

On Demand > Box Sets > Channels > Sky Living > ...
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member

I did see the trailer and I did not rekonize him