Options

The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really despair! My local radio station still plays ANL as part of their best mix and no sign of SWY . It's not just Alex they stilll play Alejandro and Parachute as their days best mix.:rolleyes:

Are we a fashionista Anika?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the dress and Necklace. Alex is looking extra gorgeous these days.:)

She looked way better at last year's GQ imo (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1212270/Shes-got-Sex-Factor-Alexandra-Burke-turns-heads-GQ-Awards-daring-sheer-dress.html), that first pic is so stunning...
    Yes I was thinking that too!]

I like that outfit, the performance was great although I think the stage was a bit too small and I think the blending between Alex's live vocals and the backing track was not very good because I could hear two distinct version of the song at a lot of points during the song. Either way though it was a great performance.

Yes! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. She was drowned out alot by the backing track during that performance. A shame as a vocals were really good for so early in the morning...;)
  • Options
    myoldmatemyoldmate Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    She looked way better at last year's GQ imo ([url][/url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1212270/Shes-got-Sex-Factor-Alexandra-Burke-turns-heads-GQ-Awards-daring-sheer-dress.html), that first pic is so stunning...

God! was that a year ago? blooming heck where's the time gone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myoldmate wrote: »
    God! was that a year ago? blooming heck where's the time gone

I know its crazy that back then she was just starting out, and now a year on she has a 2x platinum album and almost 3 #1 singles!! :eek:
  • Options
    myoldmatemyoldmate Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And long may it continue.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex still number one in the midweeks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »

She looks great. Reminds me slightly of a much younger version of Iman, David Bowie's wife.

I heard the new Rihanna song yesterday and immediately thought Alex would sound good singing it. I presumed it was Guetta but it's actually Stargate's work. Hope she works with those guys again for the second album.
  • Options
    Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol i'm pleased for Alex that things are going well for her and she only just has under 3k tickets left to sell of 16 dates? after 1-2 days. Has the actual tickets gone on sale or is it still the presale?

I still think SWY is shit tho and she needs much better material. Her A&R need to keep her away from RedOne the talentless plageriser.

I thought she looked like Iman too. I'm glad she's looking more youthful and not like a granny.

R1 doesn't have a vendetta against Alex. its just that her material is deemed to cheesey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol i'm pleased for Alex that things are going well for her and she only just has under 3k tickets left to sell of 16 dates? after 1-2 days. Has the actual tickets gone on sale or is it still the presale?

I still think SWY is shit tho and she needs much better material. Her A&R need to keep her away from RedOne the talentless plageriser.

I thought she looked like Iman too. I'm glad she's looking more youthful and not like a granny.

R1 doesn't have a vendetta against Alex. its just that her material is deemed to cheesey
    So if it Is all down to quality of the material why didn't they playlist ANL and why do they playlist JLS?
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if it Is all down to quality of the material why didn't they playlist ANL and why do they playlist JLS?

The Club is Alive was one of the worst reviewed singles of the year. Playlisted. McFly are a famously "cheesy" poor man's Busted, who haven't been relevant since 2007...yet their single got playlisted. Radio 1 have nothing against cheese or crap songs, it appears. ANL...one of the best reviewed singles of the year, loved by "credible" critics...not playlisted. Do the math.

The excuses don't cut it.

Anyway, the troll is clearly bitter. Had to sneak in a snide remark about Alex looking like a granny previously (how long ago was that. During the "bob" era ?!? Her image has been great and suitably youthful for ages now. Hardly news now, is it) Karma' s a bitch:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    The Club is Alive was one of the worst reviewed singles of the year. Playlisted. McFly are a famously "cheesy" poor man's Busted, who haven't been relevant since 2007...yet their single got playlisted. Radio 1 have nothing against cheese or crap songs, it appears. ANL...one of the best reviewed singles of the year, loved by "credible" critics...not playlisted. Do the math.

The excuses don't cut it.

Anyway, the troll is clearly bitter. Had to sneak in a snide remark about Alex looking like a granny previously (how long ago was that. During the "bob" era ?!? Her image has been great and suitably youthful for ages now. Hardly news now, is it) Karma' s a bitch:D

I'm startting to think Arsene is Toya. That is something that Toya always does. If she can't come out and trash Alex straight up she sneaks in a snide side comment.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm startting to think Arsene is Toya. That is something that Toya always does. If she can't come out and trash Alex straight up she sneaks in a snide side comment.:rolleyes:

Yeah. Noticed that as well.

Don't really know or care whom "Arsene" really is these days, to be honest. Could just as well be some jobless loner with too much time on their hands. Makes no difference to me..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather we kept her name off the ABAT for all our sakes.

Glad to see Alex is still very much in the lead in the midweek chart. :)
  • Options
    Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated her bob with a burning passion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music_box wrote: »
    I hated her bob with a burning passion.

Hmm, I don't think the bob was her best look :p I still think she's never looked better than here (http://www.alexandraburkeofficial.com/images/photos/Alexandra_-_GQ_-_07.09_.09_-_2_.JPG). That whole style just looked perfect. Her long hair look is nice though.
  • Options
    Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm not Toya. Furthermore Toya's blog so she can say whatever she wants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the bob at first , it just went on for way too long. It's the sort of style that can get old very fast. But it did make Alex different, and a trendsetter of sorts. I remember, when female celebrities afterwards starting wearing the "bob" look, style columnists said they were trying to look like Alexandra Burke (I believe Alesha Dixon got that when she wore a bob after Alex).

But the long hair does make her look younger. The bob sort of made look like she was auditioning for Anna's Wintour's job at Vogue.
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    LOL @ Radio 1 not quite believing she's #1 in the midweeks.
    Have you bought Alexandra Burke's new single. If so why? Do you like it? Or do you just love her?
    http://twitter.com/ahj
    Wow. That'll be a resounding no from my Twitter followers to Alexandra Burke then! Thank you

He got many positive comments back but nevermind :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »
    LOL @ Radio 1 not quite believing she's #1 in the midweeks.

http://twitter.com/ahj

He got many positive comments back but nevermind :rolleyes:

LOL!

Isn't that Aled guy responsible for the playlist?

Now he's just coming off as a sore loser. He's actually looking to his followers on Twitter for validation for not playlisting her? Weak. Radio 1 should reflect public taste, not a couple of sycophants and snobs on twitter (even worse that he's only acknowledging the negative feedback, and ignoring the positive). Shows how much they resent the dwindling of their power in affecting the charts.

I do start to wonder if they are just going to playlist anything Alex does next, despite the bitchy tone. They just seemed shocked at how popular she is, but now that the surprise factor is gone, they may just playlist her next song so they don't look like idiots for ignoring another number 1. And in theory, her next single, if it's performed on X-Factor, stands a far easier chance of getting to no.1 than SWY.

Still, it's good to know Alex's success is bugging Radio 1:D

People who act like the people who control things at Radio 1 don't care about these things or are too "professional" to hold grudges or have axes to grind, are kidding themselves. They care. And Alex has made them look stupid. The tweet reinforces the notion of a vendetta within Radio 1 against Alex. He'd have been better off just saying nothing at all, and pretending they didn't care where Alex was charting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL!

Now he's just coming off as a sore loser. He's actually looking to his followers on Twitter for validation for not playlisting her? Weak. Radio 1 should reflect public taste, not a couple of sycophants and snobs on twitter (even worse that he's only acknowledging the negative feedback, and ignoring the positive). Shows how much they resent the dwindling of their power in affecting the charts.

I do start to wonder if they are just going to playlist anything Alex does next, despite the bitchy tone. They just seemed shocked at how popular she is, but now that the surprise factor is gone, they may just playlist her next song so they don't look like idiots for ignoring another number 1. And in theory, her next single, if it's performed on X-Factor, stands a far easier chance of getting to no.1 than SWY.

People who act like the people who control things at Radio 1 don't care about these things or are too "professional" to hold grudges or have axes to grind, are kidding themselves. They care. And Alex has made them look stupid. The tweet reinforces the notion of a vendetta within Radio 1 against Alex. He'd have been better off just saying nothing at all, and pretending they didn't care where Alex was charting.

Radio 1 needs to sit the f**k down right about now. Looks like this Aled guy made a huge slip up in tweeting that, now we know that this whole escapade was a deliberate vendetta against Alex.

I actually hope they don't playlist her next single now as its clear after ANL and SWY that she doesn't even need them. Aled Jones and Edith Bowman are in charge of the playlist I think, but what they need to release is that Alex is popular.

Alex isn't an artist like VV Brown or Ellie Goulding who rely on the playlist to influence sales. Maybe they thought that if they didn't playlist Alex, her sales would be greatly affected and she would disappear. Obviously they failed with these bullying tactics and have come off looking like idiots.

This just proves that R1 are not with the times and think that they own the charts. They must be kicking themselves now as their playlist has missed out 2 hits by Alex. They should have kept quiet instead of trying to justify their snub on twitter. :rolleyes:

Rant over...:p
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    LOL!

It's says on his profile that he produces the Chris Moyles show so it seems like he's a pretty important person within the co-operation.

IMO i can see why this particular song wouldn't fit in with what's on their playlist now but ANL certainly did and still does. I just love the fact that they can't believe she's dong so well :D...that tweet just shows they've got something against her as an artist. You don't just ignore someone of her profile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the responses I've seen have been positive. The fact she got to #4 with ANL and now #1 (at least in the midweeks) with this shows just how out of touch they truly are.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    It's pretty shocking that a senior producer at Radio 1 would single out an artist on a public platform like twitter and make completely unprofessional comments.

I don't normally do this, but I am going to e-mail the R1 Deputy Controller and Head of Music to complain. Not a big rant, just don't think their senior employees should behave in such a manner.

If anyone else wants to join me here is their e-mail addresses:

ben.cooper@bbc.co.uk

george.ergatoudis@bbc.co.uk
  • Options
    Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would but idk what to say
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    It's pretty shocking that a senior producer at Radio 1 would single out an artist on a public platform like twitter and make completely unprofessional comments.

I don't normally do this, but I am going to e-mail the R1 Deputy Controller and Head of Music to complain. Not a big rant, just don't think their senior employees should behave in such a manner.

If anyone else wants to join me here is their e-mail addresses:

ben.cooper@bbc.co.uk

george.ergatoudis@bbc.co.uk

I agree Stargirl, thank for the addresses. I'm gonna give them a piece of my mind in as polite a way as possible. The way they've handled this has been awful, snubbing singles, banning her from R1BW and now slagging her off on twitter. The whole thing has been unprofessional and quite frankly just rude and unacceptable behaviour towards her. They are trying to sabotage her career...
This discussion has been closed.