iWork for iOS

wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, just bought an iPad 2 for Uni and saw that iWork is available for iOS at £6.99 a pop. I have a windows laptop but reading through Apple's site Office and iWork can open each others documents which is great - Keynote opens in PowerPoint and vice versa!

Just asking if anyone bought this for their iPad and if it's worth it? And i thought Apple would have done a 'package' and offered all 3 applications at a small discount

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iWorks for the iPad is a cut down version of iWorks for the Mac.

It is still a pretty capable set of programmes though. But you may be initially deceived by the rather simple appearance of the individual apps. Pages for example at first sight appears little more than a substitute for Notepad on a PC. It's only when you dig under it's skin that you discover it can do pretty much all the basic word processing tasks if not having every bell and whistle of Pages for the Mac or Word on a Windows PC.

Same applies to the other elements of iWorks.

My only gripe (at least with my iPad 1) is the real pain involved in anything other than just typing some text. Maybe it's just me but navigating round the screen, positioning the cursor to type new text in the middle of existing text and simple tasks like that are much more hassle on the iPad than the Macbook I have or any Windows laptop/PC I've used.

If you can get on with the user interface of the iPad then iWorks is not a bad set of apps to have. And I can confirm that they will open many Microsoft Office docs. Though some really complex documents can throw it. But most of what I have made in Word and Excel seems to open fine.

Although I don't use Powerpoint very much, if at all, myself I have seen colleagues at work transfer Powerpoint presentations to Keynote and have them work without too much hassle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pages is wonderful. I migrated from Micosoft Word recently and love it.

It's great at opening Microsoft Word docs but the only problem is, essentially the reverse of the this. Editing the pages doc on something that isn't an Apple device. You can open it as a PDF and you can use various third-party apps, but it's pretty much locked down unless you open documents in the proper software.

I have it in on iPhone as well, but I'd never recommend that for anything other than reviewing your work.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't want to do lots of typing on the soft keyboard of a tablet. What attracted me to the Samsung Series 7 slate pc was that it has an inbuilt Wacom digitizer and bundled pen so it's really great for hand-writing and note-taking in OneNote, better than using a capacitive pen on the ipad IMO.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    It's great at opening Microsoft Word docs but the only problem is, essentially the reverse of the this. Editing the pages doc on something that isn't an Apple device. You can open it as a PDF and you can use various third-party apps, but it's pretty much locked down unless you open documents in the proper software.
    You can Export a Pages doc in Word format. Just select Export in the File menu and follow the prompts. That is a work around that might make it easier to share documents with Windows users.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    iWork for iOS is fine. Personally I'd say it's a companion app to the Mac OS X version. It's great for me if I need to tweak things on the fly but I don't think I'd necessarily start big projects from scratch on one. Not that one couldn't; I just rather like using physical keys if I am doing a lot of typing.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, just bought an iPad 2 for Uni and saw that iWork is available for iOS at £6.99 a pop. I have a windows laptop but reading through Apple's site Office and iWork can open each others documents which is great - Keynote opens in PowerPoint and vice versa!

Just asking if anyone bought this for their iPad and if it's worth it? And i thought Apple would have done a 'package' and offered all 3 applications at a small discount

Previous versions of iWork for the Mac that were released as a pack all together were about £50 a pack. You're getting pretty much all the features that are in the Mac versions in the iOS version, so £6.99 each is already discounted really.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used pages and numbers quite a bit on my iPad and they are great apps, well worth the £5.99 each I paid for them.