Options

Almost a quarter of men 'admit to rape in parts of Asia'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24021573

The governments and UN need to stamp out this culture of women being seen as fair game and no fear of repercussions. India has paved the way for tougher penalties, but these statistics are staggering to say the least.
Percentage of men admitting rape

Papua New Guinea Bougainville Island - 62%
Indonesia Papua Province - 48.6%
Indonesia urban - 26.2%
China urban/rural - 22.2%
Cambodia - 20.4%
Indonesia rural - 19.5%
Sri Lanka - 14.5%
Bangladesh rural - 14.1%
Bangladesh urban - 9.5%

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24021573

The governments and UN need to stamp out this culture of women being seen as fair game and no fear of reprieve. India has paved the way for tougher penalties, but these statistics are staggering to say the least.

You are not wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely staggering. It beggars belief.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'd have to get further in to this to find out why these "men" have such an appaling attitude towards women. Obviously many will claim it's a religious issue, but it might be a number of things.

Severe deterrents should be put in place simply as a matter of course, but I think if you're ever going to truly eradicate the problem and change people's attitudes, you do have to go deeper to find out why.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually none of them admitted to the word rape. They were asked questions which may have translated differently in each language.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually none of them admitted to the word rape. They were asked questions which may have translated differently in each language.

They were asked if they had had sex without the woman's consent. That's rape. :confused:
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were asked if they had had sex without the woman's consent. That's rape. :confused:

They were not asked that question.
    They were asking in a translated version in their native language.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not condoning their actions but for many of the areas mentioned it is part of their culture to 'take' a women just as it is for older men to marry and consumate with what we would class as young girls.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men were asked questions like:

Have you ever had sex with your partner when you knew she didn't want to but you thought she should agree because she's your wife/ partner?

Have you ever had sex with a woman or girl when she was too drunk or drugged to say whether she wanted it or not?

So in the first instance, she could have had a headache, but you talked her around? In the second, both participants could have been drunk. Ask enough ambiguous questions, and you can get high response rates like this.

There also might be a problem with imposing Western definitions of misconduct upon others. What we define as rape, they don't. If the researchers were to ask 'Have you ever had sex with someone who did not want to?', I'm sure the response rate would have been far lower.

Plus these 6 countries were purposely selected because they are some of the most troubled and least developed in Asia. Where's Japan? Malaysia? Korea? Hong Kong? Singapore?

The research was probably done with good intentions, but the reporting is abysmal.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The questions sound rather leading ... i'd need to see all the questions to make a view but 10000 men sounds like a good number to actually get some statistical value as when i first saw the thread i was expecting a survey of about 250 men
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    So in the first instance, she could have had a headache, but you talked her around? In the second, both participants could have been drunk. Ask enough ambiguous questions, and you can get high response rates like this.

There also might be a problem with imposing Western definitions of misconduct upon others. What we define as rape, they don't. If the researchers were to ask 'Have you ever had sex with someone who did not want to?', I'm sure the response rate would have been far lower.

Plus these 6 countries were purposely selected because they are some of the most troubled and least developed in Asia. Where's Japan? Malaysia? Korea? Hong Kong? Singapore?

The research was probably done with good intentions, but the reporting is abysmal.

I agree. If course rape and attitudes towards women are a serious issue, but I don't think the results of this study are reliable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost a quarter of men 'admit to rape in parts of Asia'

I thought it said "Asda"
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    For perspective, rape within marriage was allowed in Scotland until 1982 and in England until 1991
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whilst I am sure the figures are high , this question bothers me and to me could be misleading

Have you ever had sex with your partner when you knew she didn't want to but you thought she should agree because she's your wife/ partner?

What do they mean, did the wife /partner agree in the end or not ? I mean does it start off as No I'm not in the mood and then , ok then it will shut him up.

We all know rape happens but the wording of that question is very ambiguous.

A question such as

"did you have sex with your wife or partner after she had said no and it was against her will"

would be more clear cut to my mind.
  • Options
    _Gizmo__Gizmo_ Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I read a study in psychology once, something like 90% of guys asked said they would rape if there were no consequences.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _Gizmo_ wrote: »
    I read a study in psychology once, something like 90% of guys asked said they would rape if there were no consequences.

I dread to think what people would do if there we no consequences
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what is the % in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many years ago when I was at university and there was a gathering where someone asked what would you do if the world ended tomorrow, this Indian guy said I would just rape until the earth gets totally destroyed.

We were :eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    ah the old "all men are rapists" ideology

wasnt this 70s feminists cobblers debunked decades ago
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a good demolition of this statistic in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/18/asia-rape-one-in-four-men

Basically, hardly any of the samples are nationally representative. In Papua New Guinea's case everyone asked came from the wartorn island of Bougainville where some ridiculous percentage of men had raped women. You also can't just shove statistics from different countries together:
    the basic principle of pushing together independent samples, without any population weighting, is a recipe for producing statistical gibberish. China has a population of around 1.35 billion, while Bougainville sits at less than 200,000. It may well be the case that a quarter of the survey's respondents indicated they had raped someone during the course of their lives, but that's an entirely different thing from saying a quarter of the people in the surveyed countries have committed rape.
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its their culture, shame they bring it over here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    There's a good demolition of this statistic in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/18/asia-rape-one-in-four-men

Basically, hardly any of the samples are nationally representative. In Papua New Guinea's case everyone asked came from the wartorn island of Bougainville where some ridiculous percentage of men had raped women. You also can't just shove statistics from different countries together:

Got in before me. Only a total fool would draw from it the conclusion the OP has.

The question is also incredibly vague.

"Have you ever had sex with your partner when you knew she didn't want to but you thought she should agree because she's your wife/ partner?"

We aren't told whether the wife actually agrees or not. We're told she doesn't 'want to', but that's hardly the same thing. One can consent to sex without wanting to have sex. I can consent to having an injection without wanting to have one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Must be true then. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah the old "all men are rapists" ideology

wasnt this 70s feminists cobblers debunked decades ago

Who's saying that?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I dread to think what people would do if there we no consequences

I'd eat KFC for every meal and drink 2 bottles of wine a night :cool:
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member

I find that hard to believe. Why would anyone want to do that to someone who is not willing? Wouldn't it put a normal person off?