Ellie Goulding & Pixie Lott?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
Forum Member
OK, so I'm over 40. Can anyone explain to me just why these two appeal? It seems like the worst type of vacuous bland tripe to me.

Comments

• DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because music is subjective and people like to listen to them.

I have music from both artists on my iPod. Pixie has a great voice, and Ellie releases the right material to suit her limited range.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the assumption Ellie is bland. If you listened to her second album you would see she is anything but. Her problem is she has has two bland covers the public have sucked up without knowing her more artistic stuff. An album based around the Greek myth Halcyon is anything but bland to me.

Pixie yeah I agree but nice easy pop ditties.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Judging by her last album Pixie Lott does not appeal
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    They're not to everyone's taste but people do like them. Everyone likes different music. I've got all Pixie's albums and singles but I don't have Ellie's, not because I don't like them but because I stream them. I've only got a 32GB iPod and I'm selective about what goes on it. Pixie's music seems to be going downhill though. I think she peaked with her debut (and the re-release).
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Ellie Goulding bland?

Both of her albums are fantastic in my eyes, although I don't like the re-release of Halcyon and I hope that she doesn't go any further in that direction in the future.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie Goulding releases good music and normally has a few good tracks on her albums. She hasnt got a great voice/range, but she has a nice tone. She's also very charming, generally inoffensive, and can easily fill that 'role model' niche in music that people tend to always look for. She's quite pretty and makes music that's generally appealing to people who like pop and indie music, occasionally backed up by a song designed to appeal to a purely pop market - contrast the simple structure of Burn (UK #1 for 3 weeks) with the more eerie, experimental Hanging On, an album track from her last album.

I imagine that she releases a pop song every now and then in order to finance making the more interesting music, but that's just my opinion. Her album tracks are usually infintely more interesting than her singles; guest vocals and charity releases/songs she sings in ads.

Pixie Lott though, I'm with you on. Nothing against the girl but the only reason she's getting anywhere is because she's been around long enough that no-ones directly competing with her at the minute. I don't think she'll last much longer; there's not much substance there.

I think singers that have a broad appeal last longer these days. Not to compare the two, but I'm not exactly sure who Pixie Lott appeals to in a long-lasting way. Perhaps her stint on Strictly will rejuventate interest in her/her career; but I get the feeling its a last push and if it doesnt inspire people, she'll be dropped.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie Goulding has released some great material, her last album was amazing and has a reasonable voice, she seems a nice enough girl too.

Not sure about Pixie Lott as I don't listen to her music much but again has released a couple of good songs and seems nice enough.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can sort of understand that being asked of Pixie Lott, but not Ellie Goulding. I wouldn't lump those two together in anything other than being blonde, British and female.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both are anonymous radiopop.

Ellie releases more mature MOR adult music, Pixie more tweenie pop music. Both are decidedly towards the lower rent end of their scales.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Are they both as good, or better, than Kate Bush?
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    digichant wrote: »
    Why is Ellie Goulding bland?

Both of her albums are fantastic in my eyes, although I don't like the re-release of Halcyon and I hope that she doesn't go any further in that direction in the future.

I really liked her second album. I wasn't so keen on the re-release. "Burn" isn't a great example of Ellie's music in my opinion. "Figure 8" is better. :)
    Forum Member
    Why does Goulding keep appearing in not many clothes?

She's not naturally attractive, so she looks odd flashing the flesh.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

That's my problem with Ms Goulding at the moment.

Her image has changed and not for the better. Somehow i reckon it is down to the label. The Ellie back in 2010 is way different to the ellie in 2014. Her music has become more commercial and a bit generic (mainly her Halcyon days re-release) and her clothes are coming off more and since this, she is more successful and well known than ever. She's gone from a folksy pop english rose to being a pop tart disposable hit machine. Much like Jessie J. It's rather sad to see what these women feel pressured to do to sell music.
    Forum Member

Her image has changed and not for the better. Somehow i reckon it is down to the label. The Ellie back in 2009 is way different to the ellie in 2014. Her music has become more commercial and a bit generic (mainly her Halcyon days re-release) and her clothes are coming off more and since this, she is more successful and well known than ever. She's gone from a folksy pop english rose to being a pop tart disposable hit machine. Much like Jessie J. It's rather sad to see what these women feel pressured to do to sell music.

I have no idea what she sounds like, but each time I see a feature or article on her, she's usually in something small and inappropriate for her shape. And there's no surprise to find it's the Daily Mail who run articles like this; "Ellie in leather bikini" and 14 photos to accompany the 'article'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    OK maybe I'm getting old, but neither of them (bland pap) are a patch on Paloma Faith - who has real presence and that certain something that those two are sadly lacking....
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    OK maybe I'm getting old, but neither of them (bland pap) are a patch on Paloma Faith - who has real presence and that certain something that those two are sadly lacking....

I agree with this, it also shocks me that Paloma only recently had her first number 1 and it wasn't even in this country :o She's amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie gets a pass for me atm due to Halcyon being so great.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie's writes fantastic songs for herself and she has a really distinctive voice. Her two albums are really really brilliant. She's also great live and looks the part as well.

Pixie's success is really just down to the fact she's really hot, and she had a good team writing her songs when she first came out. She's gone downhill in the last few years cos people just don't care anymore. She's nothing special, and the public have started to realise that. She seems nice though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie gets a pass for me atm due to Halcyon being so great.

Halcyon yes Halcyon Days not so much. But that said her voice lifts even the dullest if songs.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

Her image has changed and not for the better. Somehow i reckon it is down to the label. The Ellie back in 2010 is way different to the ellie in 2014. Her music has become more commercial and a bit generic (mainly her Halcyon days re-release) and her clothes are coming off more and since this, she is more successful and well known than ever. She's gone from a folksy pop english rose to being a pop tart disposable hit machine. Much like Jessie J. It's rather sad to see what these women feel pressured to do to sell music.

I preferred "Lights" clothed Ellie to "Halcyon/Days" clothed Ellie. She works very hard for her body so she has a right to feel proud of it, but I can't help but think that the lack of clothes is a label decision, as you say.

I'd take "Guns & Horses" over "Burn" song-wise. I've never liked Burn.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I preferred "Lights" clothed Ellie to "Halcyon/Days" clothed Ellie. She works very hard for her body so she has a right to feel proud of it, but I can't help but think that the lack of clothes is a label decision, as you say.

I'd take "Guns & Horses" over "Burn" song-wise. I've never liked Burn.

I agree. I believe, if you got it, flaunt it. But it's being used as a way to sell herself. She never did it before so why is she doing it now? Likely her label are wanting her to do this.

Halcyon wasn't a big success to start with and wasn't full of many commericial hits. The fact it wasn't very commericial and was more substance over style is why I think it is a beautiful well produced album. It's sales were about 300,000 before the re-release. But when I need your love became a hit, her label must of twigged on they needed more songs like this. Instead of doing a third album, they demanded a re-release and set Ellie in to give us more songs like I need your love. Burn was born which is the biggest hit of her career. Then she did soppy drivel like How long will i love you, which was the children in need song and any label knows by having a song as the children in need song, it will lead to a hit song. It never got to number 1 but sold very well. Because of how commericial these songs were, the re-release took the album from 300,000 to a now 900,000 and counting.

She started off well doing her own thing. But her label want her as a disposable hit machine like Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry. It's an absolute shame. I have nothing against Cyrus and Perry but Ellie has more talent to back her music up. Cyrus and Perry are not the best vocalists but they are entertainers and never claimed to be anything more. They are visual artists. Ellie never used to be but she is now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree very much LM. It's a total shame as visually and musically the progression between Lights and HD was astonishing considering only album #2. I don't get the re-release as a stand alone HD would have done what it has whilst still selling Halcyon two albums numerous singles record company laughing.

Instead as you say they have cheapened her talent pissed off the hardcore fans and made an artistic mess if commercial success.