Dave Lee Travis TV archive ban unjust.

Comments

• Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    This is what I said earlier in the thread:

I'm used to our workplace failing to convince companies - like Clear Channel, Alliance Communications, Fujisankei Communications Group, Bertelsmann and Viacom - to buy anything that don't support their policies. Fair enough if the OP is indeed referring to one of those companies.

But broadcasters like BBC, Channel 4 and the like? I'm sorry, but I'm still sceptical. Like I say, let's agree to disagree because I don't think the OP will return to provide the actual details so it's pointless to continue when there's nothing but guesses and speculations to go on.
    Yes it would have been better if he'd provided a link.

Don't confuse Cable TV channels though as they aren't available to all either, eg where i live there is no cable television simply because there is no cable installed in the area i live and apparently never will be (too costly to install).

The channels i mentioned are all available via a normal television set with rooftop aerial along with, what i think OP's referring to as 'minority channels'.

There is a list here though i've never even heard nor seen some of them!!;

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/default.asp?systemid=7&cTime=10/8/2014%207:00:00%20PM&thisTime=19&thisDay=10/8/2014&catColor=
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was recording "the story of light entertainment" (repeated) on beeb when the savile scandal broke. got parts 1 -4. parts 5 - 8 just vanished and were never seen again ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i was recording "the story of light entertainment" (repeated) on beeb when the savile scandal broke. got parts 1 -4. parts 5 - 8 just vanished and were never seen again ......
    Always worth posting around various forums asking if anyone has the originals. You'd be surprised at the lengths some folk go to in recording programmes.

Once knew a guy from Essex whose Father (similar age to myself) had spent years recording Offshore Pirate Radio programmes on reel to reel tape machines and built up a library of tapes. Be worth a small fortune today.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    delete
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was pretty obvious that the OP was referring to the re-runs of Top Of The Pops, which are shown on BBC4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was pretty obvious that the OP was referring to the re-runs of Top Of The Pops, which are shown on BBC4.
    They do screen old episodes of TOTP's but what the OP didn't make clear is where the information came from that they are refusing to show any episodes with DLT in.

He/she made opened the thread two days ago but never came back to it.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the norm for all broadcasters to erase some of its works every other year to make room for more. Granada, LWT, TTTV and co. did it as well. I think the practice ended during the 1980s?

The early TOTP's went out live and weren't recorded.

Drama was wiped because the tapes were expensive & could be reused, and the deal the broadcasters had with the actors union Equity said any drama could only be shown twice anyway. Would assume there were rights issues with TOTP that meant it would have been regarded as pointless to keep it.

The BBC still says on it's website it may not keep every episode of quiz show type programmes as storage is expensive. Don't think it's had a purge in a while, although a lot of 80's-90's non drama CBBC material- Why Don't You? etc- was chucked at one point.

They have a complete run of Jim'll Fix It (1975-94). I do wonder if it'll quietly be taken to the shredder with Rolf's Animal Hospital at some point.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    They have a complete run of Jim'll Fix It (1975-94). I do wonder if it'll quietly be taken to the shredder with Rolf's Animal Hospital at some point.

I suppose they'll archive some clips of Fix It, if only for proof that someone like Savile can hide behind the image of a kindly great-uncle who makes dreams come true.

I feel sorry for the people involved in the Fix Its, who no doubt mostly got a big thrill out of it all & meeting Jim. Wonder how many of them had their appearance videoed-and how many of those still have those recordings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    The early TOTP's went out live and weren't recorded.
    Not sure that's entirely correct as despite the vast amount of tape which got wiped......how else could this exist just two months after it began if it hadn't been recorded?
    The earliest surviving footage dates from 26 February 1964 and consists of performances by Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas and the Dave Clark Five.
    And here is the Dave Clark Five from that episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoRLIJJSG4o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose they'll archive some clips of Fix It, if only for proof that someone like Savile can hide behind the image of a kindly great-uncle who makes dreams come true.

I feel sorry for the people involved in the Fix Its, who no doubt mostly got a big thrill out of it all & meeting Jim. Wonder how many of them had their appearance videoed-and how many of those still have those recordings?
    Not long after the Savile news broke i saw a Fix It badge on ebay which went for £150! :o:o
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Not long after the Savile news broke i saw a Fix It badge on ebay which went for £150! :o:o
    I took my Dad to the dentist today, we were sat in the waiting-room and I was admiring a rather nice painting on the wall. Reading the artist's name, it was by Rolf Harris!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here is the Dave Clark Five from that episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoRLIJJSG4o

I enjoyed that. Who's the presenter at the end? The shot is too short for me to catch his name plate on desk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed that. Who's the presenter at the end? The shot is too short for me to catch his name plate on desk.
    David Jacobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jacobs_(broadcaster)

But Alan Freeman was just a year younger than Jacobs.....and listen to the difference of presentation. In particular his 'talk in intro' which was a Freeman trade mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThX6SB-n7m8

Brilliant Fluff.....'Not 'arf! :D

Just dropped on this too. Freeman rehearsing his Chart 'countdown'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzvGRoA9kIM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I took my Dad to the dentist today, we were sat in the waiting-room and I was admiring a rather nice painting on the wall. Reading the artist's name, it was by Rolf Harris!
    Some of his paintings sold at good money.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do screen old episodes of TOTP's but what the OP didn't make clear is where the information came from that they are refusing to show any episodes with DLT in.

He/she made opened the thread two days ago but never came back to it.

Whatever, s/he was right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29533353
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deary deary me.....whatever next! The mind just boggles. :confused:

Ah well.......good old YouTube!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now I'm satisfied. Thank you. In that case, I don't agree with the BBC's decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I'm satisfied. Thank you. In that case, I don't agree with the BBC's decision.
    Safe to say we both agree to agree now eh? :D

Does that sound right? :confused: It's late! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safe to say we both agree to agree now eh? :D

Does that sound right? :confused: It's late! :D

Yup. Yup. And yup! :D

Seriously though, thanks for humouring me all this time. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deary deary me.....whatever next! The mind just boggles. :confused:

Ah well.......good old YouTube!

Was just looking for Jonathan King, as I didn't remember him in the Genesis program, and found him on Top of the Pops being introduced by Savile! (And I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I suppose I'm going to end up in Hell now...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Was just looking for Jonathan King, as I didn't remember him in the Genesis program, and found him on Top of the Pops being introduced by Savile! (And I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I suppose I'm going to end up in Hell now...)
    Oh you will be condemned to a life of purgatory and cast down into the depths of Hell fire for committing such a heinous 'crime' of admitting your sin of viewing. :o:o

I can see the placards already......"Burn Bart Burn"! :(
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Don't agree with the BBC's decision re DLT. Total knee jerk reaction. If I hadn't heard the many times LP had used this incident as part of her comedy routine in the past then I would wonder - but....
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and tesco have stopped selling tahini what`s your point?

Not very bright are you?
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »

You could always try one hundred ton and a feather (no one will ever know).

A bit of pre- Take-That nostalgia there!
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let he without sin cast the first stone.

It's safe to say there won't be one stone thrown by anyone!

And Amen to that!!!