Options

Why do everyone prefer to sing live these days in TV performances?

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
Looks like miming has gone out of fashion.

Comments

• Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it sound like that's a bad thing.......
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's purely because if you don't sing live on a pointless TV show you are deemed "untalented" or not worthy of being a recording artist, silly really, as long as the person/group sings live on tour then who cares if they lip-synch on some stupid little morning/evening show?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most credible artists have always preferred to sing live, but with tv programmes it isn't always possible due to time constraints in setting up a live set...but it is no bad thing to sing live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume with the upcoming YT, internet, the artists have a prompt reply in the comment section about their doing.d

Probably the careers of a Madonna and Britney would be different, if the internet and social media were invented 15 years earlier.

I believe Thriller even without illegal downloads wouldn't have 60+ millions album sales today.

I think the moto of today for success is, if you are a singer, sing!
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    It's purely because if you don't sing live on a pointless TV show you are deemed "untalented" or not worthy of being a recording artist, silly really, as long as the person/group sings live on tour then who cares if they lip-synch on some stupid little morning/evening show?

Well not speaking for everyone, but if I saw someone miming on a "stupid little morning/evening show", then chances are I'd be less inclined to go to the tour.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »

It all goes to credibility for me. If you are a credible artist you should have no issues with singing live, why would you lip-sync unless it was because you weren't confident in your voice?
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all goes to credibility for me. If you are a credible artist you should have no issues with singing live, why would you lip-sync unless it was because you weren't confident in your voice?

pleas stop giving it a name that makes it sound like it's a hard thing to do, it's miming, always has been and always will be
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me if your a singer sing and I have do much respect for those that do it live everytime without fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    callmediva wrote: »
    pleas stop giving it a name that makes it sound like it's a hard thing to do, it's miming, always has been and always will be

Well sorry for speaking. That was clearly not the point of my post so why you chose to pick up on it I don't know.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live performances are what music is all about, they have always been and are still the best way to enjoy music. If an artist or band cannot perform live, I am not interested no matter how good they sound on an album.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God forbid that a music act has to actually perform live on television!!

There should never be any question about whether they sing live or not. If they can't do it, they shouldn't be in their profession! Music is so laughable, with so many people so famed and so wealthy, being lauded for something they can't actually reproduce live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Standards have changed, it used to be the norm in the 90s which is why someone like britney will struggle today.

Although if you ask me there are several singlets who would benefit from a bit of miming these days.
  • Options
    lexemelexeme Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Most still mime to a 'live' recording. Don't be fooled.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    One reason could be that the shows are now more set up for live performances, chat shows like Graham Norton & Jonathan Ross for example now have large areas for live performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lexeme wrote: »
    Most still mime to a 'live' recording. Don't be fooled.

Exactly. It's a pre-recorded 'live' performance.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is annoying, if a singer can't sound pretty much close enough to the studio version they shouldn't put it out there, they should do a version in the studio that they'd be able to pull off live.

Although I do think mining is necessary sometimes. For example, if a singer is really ill and their throat is affected then they shouldn't risk their voice by trying to sing live.